Futures Game

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Futures Game

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who do people think will/should represent the Cardinals this year?

My votes

USA Hudson (alternate O’Neill)
    International Mercado (Columbian descent – played for Columbian national team). (Alternate Arozarena).

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson and and Mercado should be USA guys.Mercado born in Florida.O`Neill Canada.I like all 3 guys to represent the Cards.Arozarena has not done anything this season to be on any All-star game.Potential okay…production no.Not nitpicking just giving a opinion.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know where Mercado was born but that has never been the overiding factor. Mercado has already played for the Columbian national team so I think he would definitely qualify internationally.

Good pick up on O’Neill though.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see all three making it…but those are the three i think should be at the top of our options

would Mendoza get a chance with his quick movement and success?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some may not know that O’Neill already played in the Futures Game two years ago when he was in Double-A. It is not impossible to repeat, but it may be less likely.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Didn’t someone play in it 3 years in a row. I want to say yes! Profar maybe?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Guessing even if so that they all occurred before he made his MLB debut.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I did find guys who played in the game either 3 times or three years in a row. Lindor and Edwin Encarnacion played 3 years in a row and a couple other no names. Sin Soo Choo played in it 3 times as did Gorky Hernandez and Justin Huber. Seems like they all play on the world team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Star_Futures_Game_all-time_roster

See if you remember some of these futures guys. BTW it was Felix Pie who I was thinking of who played in it 3 times but it was actually 2. Seemed like he was in it every year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858, were any of those three times after they made their MLB debuts?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In case anyone missed it, Andrew Knizner is an injury addition to the US Team.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena went 0-1.
    Knizner went 0-2 with 2 strikeouts.
    Hudson went an inning with a K and two ground outs. His sinker hit 97.8 mph, looks like.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hudson threw to Knizner and looked great. Jim Callis was very complimentary about Hudson, noting his ground ball tendencies right before he induced one.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian Walton

In case anyone missed it, Andrew Knizner is an injury addition to the US Team.

Does anyone know what the % is of the pool of players to draw from? As in, does the US Team get to pull players from 60% of the minor leaguers, with 40% representing the World Team?

In basketball, the US team of the Jordan Game (high school) generally has a much higher percentage of elite future college one-and-doners compared to the World team. It ends up being even after they put players came to America at an early age on the World team.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not know any way to assess that number. Even if you looked at birth locations from every minor leaguer, there are guys like Mercado who are from the US (Florida), but whose families came from outside the US (Colombia). He played for Colombia in the WBC and I would guess have been on the World roster if invited to the Futures Game.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.