Fun Farmhand Facts!

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fun Farmhand Facts!

This topic contains 52 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Every blue moon a player comes along and you know he’s going to be a slam dunk star, even though he hasn’t stepped foot in a professional ballpark. Robin Yount, Bryce Harper, David Clyde ……well maybe not Clyde. Well, Malcom Yaniel Nunez is precisely one of these rare gems and I’ll stake my reputation on it!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pugs, and here I thought you were going to say Fagdale!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Fagdale”…….I guess Alexander “The Great” Fagalde is not quite a household name just yet is he, CC? Give him time though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree about Bob. Good stuff as always.

If Tampa has 21 prospects better than Montero their entire FO should be fired if they don’t make a World Series within the next five years. Of course we all know it isn’t true. I have to shake my head at Fangraphs sometimes. The Brewers a last place team?? As Dick Enberg would have said, “Oh my.”

As for Gorman, Montero, and Nunez all playing the same position I don’t fret about it too much. One or two of them may switch positions and one or two of them may be part of a blockbuster trade for us in a couple of years. It will work out one way or the other. Having a lot of talent in the minors is always a good thing despite their position on the field. Too often we assume they are going to play for us in the big leagues but being trade bait can be just as useful.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hello everyone, my name is Dave. I’ve been lurking at TCN for several months ever since I first heard Brian Walton on Scoops with Danny Mac. I finally decided to buckle down and get a subscription after loving the free content and wanting to see the paid content. Now I’m hooked.

I have a question I’ve been wondering about that dovetails nicely with this thread that I’m hoping some of you might be able to answer. What traits, characteristics, and skills do you think the Cardinals prioritize in players when it comes to the draft and international free agents? A few years ago it seemed like every scouting report I read on our drafted hitting prospects (it was the year we drafted Plummer and Denton) mentioned bat speed as a strength and in the years since I feel like I often see advanced strike zone judgement or advanced approach mentioned in scouting reports. To me, those attributes have popped up often enough as we’ve replenished our system with position players that that might be something the Cardinals prioritize, or maybe they find it harder to teach and would rather players they sign and draft high have that as a foundation. On the pitching side, I haven’t really noticed a similar theme.

Secondly, I’m wondering if a possible reason the Cardinals don’t do as well in system and prospect evaluations with most scouting services as those players subsequent major league results indicate they should have (I’m speaking of the phenomenon in which Cardinals prospects seem to often outperform their projections by these sites at the major league level, the so called devil magic) is that the Cardinals might prioritize certain trait or skills in players they draft and sign that the scouting services don’t place as much importance on in comparison to other skills.

My opinion is that if the Cardinals prospects routinely outperform their projections, then these national scouting service evaluations aren’t worth much.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, Dave. The mantra with new hitting coach Jeff Albert is making contact, so I expect high contact guys will be a priority in the draft. It is about time to restock the pitching pipeline, though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My opinion is that if the Cardinals prospects routinely outperform their projections, then these national scouting service evaluations aren’t worth much.

Welcome Dave. I think you are off to a good start, especially the last part of that sentence. The same could be said of many analytic sites also.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, I think that would be a good question to ask. On one hand it makes sense but on the other it might make sense to get guys with lower contact skills if you think the org can teach them that skill. That way you are seemingly adding value through coaching.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder how that assessment of who might be able to show improved contact potential would be made. High number of foul balls? Strikeouts looking?

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Here’s a fact from Rick Hummel:

If he was a member of several other major-league teams, outfielder Tyler O’Neill might be wondering where he would be hitting in the lineup rather than if he would be in the lineup.

Instead he’ll be somewhere else and the FO says play the worst OF in MLB ahead of him. #*&%!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You act as if one is a sure thing and the other is not.

You know how long Fowler will be played in 2019 if he struggles how?

No matter what Hummel writes, if O’Neill can’t bring down that strikeout rate, he wouldn’t be playing for anyone. His rate last season was over 40%. The very worst qualifying hitters in MLB were in the 36% area. The two worst were Chris Davis, who plays only because he has a terrible contract, and Joey Gallo, who also walks at a 13-16% rate. O’Neill’s walk rate was under 5%.

I hope O’Neill takes off with the help of Jeff Albert, but who is to say that Fowler cannot improve, too?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler is an old dog, Brian. O’Neill is a young pup who can and will learn new tricks.

As a quick aside, can we come up with 10 famous “Alberts”? I’ll get the ball rolling:

1. Albert Pujols
    2. Albert Einstein

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Albert Finney
    Fat Albert
    Prince Albert

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Eddie Albert. Wasn’t he the Green Acres guy?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Albert Bell

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Albert Kaline and of course Albert Hrobosky. Those open a can of worms and seem like an unnecessary risk when Mean Al might start tracing IP addresses.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC and Nigel weigh in with some dandy Alberts! Love Eddie Albert from Green Acres fame…..Arnold The Pig was an absolute diamond in the rough! Let’s update our list shall we.

1. Albert Pujols
    2. Albert Einstein
    3. Eddie Albert
    4. Albert Belle
    5. Prince Albert (In the can)
    6. Albert Finney
    7. Fat Albert
    8. Albert Brooks

*We’ll have to get a ruling from the judge ( Brian or BicyleMike ) on Hraboski & Kaline, as I believe they may be Alans and not Alberts. I added Albert Brooks of “Lost In America” and “The Muse” fame. Ever want to see a truly FUN movie? Check out “Lost In America”.

**This thread will get right back on track, as soon as it’s esteemed author, Bobby Reed, returns from his vacation in Botswana.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In my book, Alans do not count, so Hungo is out. Albert Schweitzer won the Nobel Prize, so that should be good enough. I also think the original inspiration Jeff Albert himself should make this list, perhaps at no. 10 with a bullet.

Then we can move on.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/peace/1952/schweitzer/biographical/

Or if you prefer, Kaline’s given name is Albert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Kaline

Nothing against Al Hrabosky, but I would put a high likelihood on the possibility he does not know what an IP address is.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three dandy Albert additions from Brian! But we only have space for two to complete our Top 10 Albert list. So now we can move back on topic. I will organize our list in what I believe to be in order of importance that these Alberts had on society:

1. Albert Einstein
    2. Albert Schweitzer
    3. Albert Finney
    4. Albert Brooks
    5. Albert Pujols
    6. Eddie Albert
    7. Fat Albert
    8. Albert Kaline
    9. Prince Albert In The Can
    10. Albert Belle

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

What…. no Marv or Kenny? Big names in the big apple.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marv & son lost Top 10 Albert consideration with Marv’s Garter Gate fiasco about 20 years ago, Nyquist.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Pugs, what about the real Albert the Great; Saint Albertus Magnus

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great call, Wiley! “SAM”….or Saint Albertus Magnus, is widely recognized as Germany’s greatest theologian and philosopher of all time. Though dead for over 700 years now, he still lives on in the heart and souls of Germans everywhere. And if you look at the pics of SAM, you just know the man would have been a player if baseball had around in his era. And speaking of era, I’m thinking SAM would have been a pretty stingy hurler…..5-1 K-BB ratio with an era somewhere in the 2.20 neighborhood ……and if in the NL, SAM would have probably even poked you a few dingers.

** On a worried note, has anybody seen BobbyReed? I thought he would have returned a few days ago from his trip to Botswana. Come home Bobby….come home!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sadly, we lost another one of our Top 10 Alberts yesterday. Only 3 of the 10 are still with us. Albert Finney (#3) passed at age 82 (born May 9th, 1936) at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London. Kidney cancer appears to have been the cod (cause of death).

*** Has anyone seen BobbyReed??? Wonder where that rascallion is???

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In addition to Bob Reed has anyone seen jager? He has gone radio silent.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years