Francisco Lindor trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Francisco Lindor trade thread

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, well, this is now in the main media, so we have a thread. Jon Morosi lists the Cardinals as one of five teams interested in acquiring Lindor – but notes at the end that St. Louis’ interest will depend on whether Wainwright and Molina return.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I will tell a quick personal story because I thought of this when I read Morosi mentioning that Lindor’s “ebullient personality” is something the Cardinals could benefit from.

Back in 2014, Breyvic Valera was in the Arizona Fall League and I wanted to speak with him about how it was going. But he was very subconscious about his English. Lindor happened to be sitting in the next stall and overheard this. He stopped what he was doing (eating his lunch as I recall), stood up, introduced himself to me and volunteered to translate for his teammate. I was impressed by and grateful for this simple act of kindness.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I also wanted to mention the Puerto Rican connection. It is unfortunate that there may not be room for Molina and Lindor on the same Cardinals team, as they share a homeland. I have no idea how well they are acquainted or if they get along, but my guess is that if they could be teammates in 2021, it could be a plus as Lindor considers whether or not to stay around beyond one year.

Another factor that might be against the Cardinals is time. Morosi noted the SS free agent market has other good options right now, which means if I am the Indians, I am going to work to trade him sooner, rather than later. That would hurt the Cardinals chances of getting him, I would think…

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Yankees are only $740K under the luxury tax threshold.

Gleyber Torres had an off year in 2020. In 2019 he hit 38 HR’s and OPS’d .871.

IMO, Yadi would be a great addition for the Yankees, and I’d bet that the Yankees know it.

Lindor to the Yankees is not a sure bet.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those amused by fan trades on the other side, The Athletic devoted an entire article to Cleveland fan-generated proposals for Lindor, with the author analyzing them. Only the very last one mentioned the Cardinals:

DeJong or Edman
    plus Carlson
    plus Rondon

for one year of Lindor!?!?!?

At least the author noted the Cardinals would pass…

Participant

Free

Pipe dream at best, not sure why anybody would think the cards are really interested in getting Lindor….

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pipe dream at best, not sure why anybody would think the cards are really interested in getting Lindor….

Why wouldn’t they be interested? Now, the question is whether they can stomach the cost in arb salary plus trade capital for him.

If the price was no Yadi or Waino next year plus a trade involving some combo of players not named Liberatore, Carlson or Herrera, it might be a plus for 2021. They’d have to commit to building to keep him beyond then, though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I would pass on Lindor right now if I am the Cardinals. The asking price will be astronomical even if for just one year and we are more than one player away from being a world series contender. I think they should stick to their guns with small incremental moves for 2021 then go big next winter when they will have the financial flexibility.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would pass on Lindor right now if I am the Cardinals. The asking price will be astronomical even if for just one year and we are more than one player away from being a world series contender. I think they should stick to their guns with small incremental moves for 2021 then go big next winter when they will have the financial flexibility.

I don’t see them making a serious move for him anyway, but it never hurts to kick the tires. It would be hard to say that the Cards getting him would even give them a leg up next year so I agree that keeping the prospects might make more sense. But you never know, maybe the Cards have a player that the Indians love like the Rays loved Arozarena. It’s doubtful, but that’s why you explore the trade.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If he had two or three years of control I would feel different about it. He is almost certainly going to free agency after next season so why gut the farm system for 2021? He would no doubt make us better but not a legit world series contender in my mind.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner + Edman + Oviedo (start with that and see what they would need MORE)

They could use a future all around catcher as Hedges and Perez can’t hit
    Edman can step up for SS or they can find a cheap FA to fill the gap
    Oviedo looks to have the size and stuff, just needs the training (Cleveland has produced a lot of high end pitchers)

I think that is plenty of control and youth for one year of Lindor, and plenty of upside

I am not convinced they are interested enough to make this happen

I am also not convinced that StL couldnt get Lindor to re-sign, the ability to work on the extension (like they did with Goldy) immediately is very valuable.

and IF the Cardinals were considering going big after 21 (despite COVID) you have probably at least Waino, Miller, Carp, Fowler, probably CMart coming off the books.. that kind of money could be available for the right player…

which is why i think Arenado is not off the table too, Arenado and Lindor are the types of players you DO invest in…same with how they dealt with Holliday and then Goldy

If you trade (and maybe give up a bit more than you are comfortable with…outside of Libertore, Herrera, Carlson, maybe Thompson) i think you do it….then re-sign Yadi for 2 yrs and Waino for 1 again…then ride the season hoping Lindor is enough and work on Lindor’s extension as soon as you get him, use the COVID uncertainty not necessarily to get lower figure…but to get the deal done

21-has Lindor at SS and DeJong at 3b (then fill 2b with Sosa or look to FA for a stopgap)

Fowler, Carlson, Lindor, Goldy, Dejong, ONeill, Yadi, Sosa/FA, pitch (Carp DH in there i guess)

we still don’t have a leadoff hitter, but i guess you just hope someone steps up

22 gets more fun
    Carlson, Lindor, Goldy, Dejong (2b), Gorman (3b), ONeill, Yadi/Hererra, Thomas/Bader/etc., pitch/dh

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From betonline.ag:

Which Team will Francisco Lindor be traded to?
    New York Mets 9/4
    New York Yankees 3/1
    Toronto Blue Jays 7/2
    Philadelphia Phillies 17/4
    Los Angeles Angels 19/4
    Atlanta Braves 5/1

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB.com cooked up seven pretend trades for Lindor. They included the Cardinals.

Bader
    Edman
    Oviedo
    Rondon

That’s a lotta controllable years of players for one year of Lindor at probably a $20MM salary in 2020. What do you think?

https://www.mlb.com/news/francisco-lindor-trade-fits

Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar:

Total agreement…. worth repeating.

Let the trade predictors have some fun with Lindor… not happening though.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader
    Edman
    Oviedo
    Rondon

That’s a lotta controllable years of players for one year of Lindor at probably a $20MM salary in 2020. What do you think?

No way. Hard pass for me.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader
    Edman
    Oviedo
    Rondon

Bader and Edman, yes for sure. I’d probably try to swap out Oviedo (preferably) or Rondon for a guy like John Gant, to save at least a little salary.

That said, the Cards would need to commit to going for it in 2021 if that’s a trade they make. Resign Wong (or a comparable 2B), Yadi and Waino and probably add an OFer like Pederson. Payroll would end up only decreasing slightly if that was the case. I can’t imagine that happening.

Participant

Free

On the proposed players, I would pass. I don’t want to give up both Oviedo and Rondon. If it could be done with another pitcher, like Gant instead of either Oviedo or Rondon, I would probably do that.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

6.1 and 5.0, that Lindor and Wongs fWAR for 2019-2020
    5.8 and 6.3, BR likes Wong better the last 2 seasons.

Is Wong better than Lindor? just no, but look at the salary difference, and player cost to RENT Lindor instead of bringing Wong back. That’s a lot of young talent to give up for 60 games and a couple extra wins above Wong. Just no.

Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW, Lindor does possess that intangible attribute of ‘star power’, or charisma, or whatever it’s called. Regardless, I don’t think he’s the right guy for the Cardinals especially as a rental.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ESPN ranks every team’s potential fit for Lindor (trade capital, payroll, roster need and ballpark factor). The Cards rank 10th, getting nicked for their payroll situation but getting high marks for trade capital (they mention O’Neill, Bader, Thomas, Dean and Dejong plus the farm as potential trade bait) and the window for contention. Oddly, the Reds ranked 1st.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30331727/ranking-trade-fits-cleveland-indians-shortstop

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years