Drew VerHagen Signs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Drew VerHagen Signs

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards strike first!!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Who is Drew VerHagen? What is he going to do for us?

UPDATE: I just checked his numbers. Not pitched in the bigs since 2019. And the previous few years he wasn’t very good. So, I will ask again – what is he going to do for us?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Spot starter and long relief probably.

A classic LHF signing (low hanging fruit).

Pork Twain
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is clicking on links disabled for you guys? I will speak to management and see if I can get that fixed for you.

Cardinals Sign Drew VerHagen To Two-Year Deal

While the 31-year-old VerHagen probably wasn’t predicted by many as the first post-lockout domino to fall, he’ll head back to the big leagues not only on a guaranteed contract but on a multi-year arrangement. The 6’6″ righty struggled for much of his six seasons with the Tigers, pitching to a 5.11 ERA over the life of 199 big league frames. His two-year stint overseas changed his fortunes, however, as VerHagen broke out as a key member of the Nippon-Ham Fighters’ bullpen.

In two seasons with the Fighters, VerHagen notched a 3.51 ERA in 2017 1/3 innings while punching out a quarter of his opponents against a strong 7.2% walk rate. He’s long had decent velocity (94 mph average) on his sinker and has a track record of inducing grounders at a high rate (53.9% in the Majors) — which fits in well with the Cardinals’ otherworldy infield defense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I did read the link and I stand by my assessment of him. Spot starter and long relief.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He did OK for the Canned Hams so what could go wrong. Mo might figure its easier to find them now than well into the season like he had to do last year. I wish the new guy well.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just another case of low hanging hope for greatness fruit. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Oliver
    Participant

Free

Lars Nootbaar and Drew VerHagen I like it.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

“Just another case of low hanging hope for greatness fruit. I would love to be proved wrong though”

Why do people say ridiculous things like this? You nor most Cardinal fans know whether this will be a good signing or not. Just wait and see before you say anything.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ZTR
    Participant

Free

2,017 1/3 innings?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Compressed schedule – fewer days off
    All doubleheader games nine full innings
    Minor league options limited to five per season
    Many pitchers coming off 2021 injuries
    No more than 13 pitchers active allowed

Put that all together and the pitching depth is sure to be tested again. I can’t understand why having more arms can be a bad thing. Not every signing can be a Cy Young candidate.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

“No more than 13 pitchers active allowed”

Thanks for that.

On VerHagen, the Asian league signings by STL have a solid track record. I’m willing to expect more of the same.

lrcardinal
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Not sure I like the 5 options per season limit. I guess we will see how it goes. A team beset by injuries to the pitching staff could really be taxed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I believe the players wanted an options limit because of the disruption to the player and his family when going up and down. Five options could still mean as many as 10 moves during a six-month period, almost always with little or no notice.

Update: This is from The Athletic.

“Of the six players that were optioned up or down double-digit times last year, five were arms. To some extent, teams were using the option rule to carry an extra reliever in their bullpen, and to some extent, that practice will be tougher this season.”

https://theathletic.com/3176265/2022/03/11/sarris-the-small-cba-rule-change-that-may-change-the-way-some-winning-teams-do-business/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When I asked Mo about the impact of the options limit, he brought up the 13 pitchers maximum as a bigger challenge as he sees it.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gamecard I can give my opinion and say what I want as long as it doesn’t step on any guidelines or make fun of the players in any way. I paid to do so. You are welcome to do the same.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another thing to consider is that it is still possible that MLB allows teams to have expanded rosters for the first month or two of the season, which would mean each team could have more than 13 pitchers. I think that is still being debated.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GameCard said

Just wait and see before you say anything.

I tend to want to see what happens with prospects once they reach the upper levels, so maybe I’m not one to say. None-the-less, prognostication is sort of what this site is all about, more or less. Hot stovin is the name of the game with snow on the ground.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I love the limited options clause in the new agreement. Moving guys up and down every week or so was ridiculous. I understand injury and usage issues, but you need some stability as well. Manage your team for the marathon, not to play every game like it is game 7.

Cards have a good track record of bringing pitchers with success in the Pacific Rim, at least for the first year. They seem to bring something that opponents don’t expect. By year two the magic rubs off some though, so giving Mr. Ver Hagen a 2 year deal is a tad risky.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nationals signed Cishek for 1.75mm. One of the most consistent relievers in the majors. Would have seemed like a better option.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, Cards just trying to find Mikolas In A Bottle with this signing……though that bottle did sour after a year. I trust our scouts with this signing. He must have righted the ship over in the Pacific Rim after an earlier unimpressive ML body of work.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years