DeWitt’s new digs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum DeWitt’s new digs

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

LLC tied to the businessman?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ben Frederickson’s take.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am wondering if this is really III rather than Jr. III’s wife Ira is a businesswoman and was involved in the music business at one point. Jr. and his wife seem to be past the Hollywood glamour phase. Just a guess.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t imagine why Bill DeWitt, Jr. would buy a house like this. Doesn’t fit his conservative Midwest lifestyle.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I imagine his palace is in Cincinnati.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sure his house in Cincy is very nice. He also had a place in St. Louis for a number of years, but sold it several years ago.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Maybe the purchase was predominately due to its investment value. Billionaires look for that kind of thing. Longoria sold it for millions less than she paid, and she owned it during a period of time when real estate appreciated nicely in LA. Warren Buffett often says to look for value stocks. This might be an example of that. Or maybe Longoria way overpaid and it’s not a great value, but DeWitt just wants to ride off into the sunset going out on a fling.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know. Bill and Kathy are firmly entrenched Midwesterners and have great circles of friends in both Cincy and St. Louis.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That’s a nice vacation mansion.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

bccran, my going out on a fling comment is not something I believe to be likely either.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You might be right Brian. That would make more sense although the writer of the article thinks it is the elder DeWitt.

DeWitt, 78, bought the Cardinals for $150 million in 1995 and has seen the team’s value soar in the decades since, with Forbes currently estimating the club’s worth at $2.2 billion. During his tenure, the team has won two World Series titles in 2006 and 2011.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the brewery wishes they had kept the club, and brought in some baseball people to run it. Especially now with microbrews cutting in to traditional big batch beer sales, it would have been a nice investment to hang on to. But to have the value it currently carries they would have needed to keep the team competitive, the way the DeWitt’s have done.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The brewery is no longer the brewery.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The LA Times version of the story mentioned that this was an upgrade:

“Around the time of the sale, he quietly unloaded his place in Studio City in an off-market deal for $3.4 million.”

https://www.latimes.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-05-16/hot-property-cardinals-owner-buys-eva-longorias-l-a-compound

Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I guess DeWitt doesn’t have to hang out at the team hotel when the Cardinals travel to play the Dodgers. :o)

Of course the team won’t be traveling to LA anytime soon.

Participant

Free

Who in their right mind would want to move or even vacation in California especially with all that is going on there now?

But the real question of the day is: IF the season should start will John Brebbia start with a clean shaven face or has that pile of brush lengthened since the shutdowm?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brebbia answered that recently:

“I’ve always said that the beard starts when the season starts,” said Brebbia.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-quirky-brebbia-shares-insight-to-how-cardinals-and-his-face-might-look-after-quarantine/article_76625a6b-9f03-5caf-87aa-67208cce4522.html

So this is NOT a current photo.

Participant

Free

Speaking of digs, NY Mets pitcher Thor is embroiled in a rental fight with his NY landlord. Seems Thor signed an 8 month contract for an apartment in Manhattan at 27K per month but had TJ and moved to Florida for rehab before ever moving into the apartment. He has offered to pay two months rent and void the rest of the contract or let the owner re-rent the place but the owner wants the full contract price $250K as you can’t just renegotiate a contract on leasing like you do as a ballplayer. So far, not a single comment in favor of Thor and many against.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years