Could Memphis beat the Reds?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Could Memphis beat the Reds?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Honest question. Memphis has a rotation that is better than Cincinnati right now (add Reyes in for fun too)

Then we have above average players at catcher and all three outfielders imo. Average ML-level players at 1B and 2B, and below-average at SS and 3B. (Voit, Schrock, Mejia, Wisdom around the horn)

Kelly vs Barnhart?, Garcia, O’Neill, Mercado, and Arrozarena vs. Duvall, Wrinker, Schebler, etc?

Votto and Suarez kill us in the infield comparatively.

I’d say the bullpens may be even too, especially when Cecil and Gregerson force Brebbia and Mayer’s back to Memphis. Tuivailala and Sherriff are around too.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Avatar PadsFS.
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

It would be a battle no doubt.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’s amazing how far the Reds have fallen. Growing up in the ’60s and ’70s, I still think of the Reds as a strong team as during those years they were usually a contender. Even up through the early ’90s they were usually a tough team to beat.

Right now, they are the worst team in baseball. I thought when Walt went over there he would get them back on track, and they did make a little run when they won the division in 2010 I believe. But they have lost their way. It’s too bad as Cincinnati is a great baseball town, and they have a strong history. Their 1975-76 teams are considered one of the greatest of all time. In those days, you felt lucky to get away with one win in a series against those guys.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would be an interesting matchup, to be sure. The gut says the Reds would be a little better, but if you add Reyes I think the Redbirds might be able to take a 5 game series.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not a REDs fan at all.I do think they are not as bad as they have shown this season.I think they are going to live and die with the younger pitcherts and in that ballpark there will be lots of growing up the hard way for any pitchers.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I was surprised they let Cozart walk. They were not a strong enough team to let one of their better players go like that.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

my guess is cozart was fortunate to sign early in the offseason, i dont think the reds thought they could afford to resign…i like him alot as a player, but considering his age it seems as though he could have been had for much less $$ had he tried to let the market develop, perhaps if he had he could have been a red for a 2/20 in feb

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think they could beat the Cards if Flaherty was pitching. The point is that the Cards are wasting talent. The 3 starting Redbird’s OFer’s (AGarcia-O’Neill- Arozarena? are MLB ready right now. Flaherty should certainly be in the rotation and Schrock seems to be ready. The guys upstairs have blocked the prospects that they’ve been waiting for.

The damn FO sign a below average OF (Fowler) for big bucks. The go to Japan for a starting pitcher. Dumb as dirt. Memphis is 8 up and only 1 down. Could this team contend in the NL for a full season? Maybe.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nyquis, you have now met your daily quota of Fowler bashing. We all look forward to tomorrow’s edition.

As for the Reds, one of their biggest problems is lack of fan support. Their attendance is terrible and it didn’t start this year. Even when they were good a few years ago with Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Cueto, etc… the only time they could get a big crowd was a weekend game against the Cards or Cubs. Otherwise they would be lucky to draw 20k. That pitiful kind of fan support hurts revenue and makes it difficult to afford good players. Milwaukee has ten times better fan support than Cincinnati.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Watching the games the past two days supports the fan support issue you bring up. You would have thought you were at a Cardinals home game as there were cheers and noise for the visitors than for the home team. Reminded me of Arlington a few years ago during interleague play when there were thousands of Cards fans in there almost outnumbering the Rangers fans. Even local radio commented on it as it was so noticeable. But fans won’t spend big money on a game if the team isn’t any good. It cost too much these days to watch bad baseball and the Reds are bad baseball.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes but the Reds weren’t drawing well back when they were winning. They have some real problems with their fan base.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Oh I agree. I was just saying now it’s even harder to draw a crowd.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Short answer? Yes.

But in theory a hot college pitcher could beat a mlb team. And college teams beat pro teams in spring training or exhibition occasionally. The differences in skill is shown over a series (generally)

Would they win a 7 game series? Eh… maybe. They’re pretty good for a aaa team. And the reds are pretty bad right now. Confidence means a lot and winning can make more winning happen despite odds (see: ncaa basketball tournament).

It would be an interesting exercise at any rate.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Yes and they would beat them bad this is a pathetic Reds team

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I can’t imagine that Bryan Price will be around much longer. It seems like I read somewhere that John Farrell was on their radar.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Do you think Farrell would take that job? I am guessing they are going to have to go with a young guy who is just happy to be anywhere.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I really don’t know. I guess it depends on what other options Farrell has out there.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think Memphis would have a shot at winning a 3 games series or a 5 game series, but over the source of a year I dont think they’d be close, the professional hitters the Reds have are impressive and would eat up the non high end pitchers at Memphis IMO

but a 3 game series with… Flaherty, alex Reyes, Hudson would be pretty nice…a 5 game series adding on Gant fora start and then Flaherty or Reyes again i think works out nicely

but the Memphis bullpen would get eaten up i think… I like those guys but without higher end back of game guys i dont think we could get through Votto, Suarez, Gennett, Duvall without getting crushed late in games. over the course of a year it would be bad

for one game however….only one game…where all the pitchers from Memphis are there to try to win…(including alex Reyes)…i think it is a coinflip at worse

Flaherty backed up by Gant and Hudson to get to the 8th or 9th with Sherriff and Mayers bridging for left hand right hand if needed to get to a Alex Reyes closing the door… yeah…that could work

having said that…Homer, to Castillo, to Mahle to Hernandez, Lorenzen PEralta Hughes..to Iglesias (who goes more than one inning a lot)…that isnt bad

Barnhardt behind the dish for the Reds coudl be a big deal as speed on the bases coudl be an advantage of the Memphis team but he can keep almost anyone in check (also shoudl be noted Kelly would have his hands full with Hamilton and Peraza…especially if they just swapped Winker into center and Schbler to RF then put PEraza on the bench and added Senzel to SS… PEraza and Hamilton as designated base stealers would be almost a free run per guy late if they wanted to use them that way after someone took a walk late (heck that could be used in the bigs if they wanted)

with Suarez healthy and Senzel up they could go with:
    Winker,Senzel,Votto,Suarez,Duvall,Gennett,Schebler,Barnhardt, pitcher
    bench of Hamilton,Peraza,Mesoraco,Ervin,Pennington (7 man pen for one game with starters)

that is an impressive lineup and a scary bench

to me what frustrates m about the Reds is that the solution to their troubles seems so obvious…and the fact that they sat and did nothign this offseason (outside two decent pickups for the pen) is even more flabbergasting as the solutions were not only there for them but also cheap

they needed relief help and starting pitching…their young starters of Mahle, Castillo seem good long term bets (Hunter Greene looks like a beast too)…Bailey is old school and getting paid so he sticks … but depending on the rest of their other starters to compete at a high enough level to make a difference this year is just ridiculous…they have been tryign to figure out from that group who can help them for 3 fricking years and no one has emerged…Mahle is a draft guy and Castillo came in a trade…you have to cut bait and convert them to the pen at some point and look outside the organization for help (Finnigan, Stephenson, Garrett, Reed, Desclafani, Romano, etc etc)

they had the chance this offseason to actually solve those issues without breaking the bank (as they are obviously tryign to not spend money)….but with Phillips, Bruce, Cozart money all comign off the books they coudl have easily invested a little bit of money on a couple mid range starters and relievers and they’d be good to go with their impressive hitters…the market collapsing on these guyd would have made it even easier and cheaper…

Lance Lynn would have been an easy get at low money…combined with Alex Cobb…and then the Hughes and HErnandez move i liked…but add on one more reliever like a Tony Watson lefty type and boom you have an upgraded team for pretty low money

Bailey,Lynn, Cobb, Castillo, Mahle…. that is a fine to good rotation
    Iglesias, Watson, Hughes, Lorenzen, Hernandez, Peralta, Garrett, Quackenbush… is a fine to good pen

it wouldnt have been expensive or super long term deals

they had a chance to fix their issues without breaking the bank and they sat on their hands and have nothign to fall back on with their rotation

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years