Contracts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

BW – any new information on how contracts are going to be affected? For instance, Kim was signed to a 2 year contract. If this season is cancelled, is he signed through 2022?
    Thanks.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That cart seems way ahead of the horse, IMO.

Considering that MLB has not yet even conceded that all 162 games will not be paid – and not issued any ticket refunds yet – speculating about the entire season not being played seems far away from the owners’ focus and attention right now.

To your question directly, I highly doubt the players would agree to ceding a year of service time, though they might compromise on salary, given the high likelihood of decreased MLB revenues this season. Just guesses, though…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here’s a something that I posted in the COVID19 thread –

Here’s an interesting paragraph I found by Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun Times. This is his answer to the question ‘Will Cubs players still get paid their full salaries despite losing the first month of the season?’

‘They certainly will if lost games get rescheduled and played. So far no league or team officials have suggested publicly that they won’t if the schedule is ultimately reduced. But if the shutdown persists, references to paragraph 11 of the Uniform Player’s Contract are likely to become common. That’s the paragraph that covers national emergencies, “which may directly or indirectly affect the Player, Club or the League and subject also to the right of the Commissioner to suspend the operation of this contract during any national emergency during which Major League Baseball is not played.” President Trump’s declaration of a national state of emergency on Friday puts the clause in play.’

It seems to me that, if service time is covered in the Uniform Players Contract, service time should be effected by the suspension of the contract because of the declaration of a National Emergency.

bccran
    Participant

Thank you.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Players and owners will have to agree on terms that both parties consider fair or there won’t be baseball. That is the case for a partial season or an entirely canceled one.

Clearly this is a big reason why the owners are holding onto that unreasonable hope they can play 162. Most of these potential problems would go away.

That is why I posted on another thread my concern that even after the virus threat is passed, they may not be ready to take the field again. They could still be in a deadlock over compensation.

The fact the next CBA is right around the corner will likely only make matters more contentious as the two sides maneuver for the upper ground.

I hope my concerns will be proven to be unfounded.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

So far at least, many companies are paying employees who have lost work time due to the emergency situation. Now MLB deals in multiples higher than what many other businesses do, but then they have relatively few employees who are highly compensated.

My thought is that players will be fully compensated even if the schedule is trimmed to say 144 games or more. If it gets down to more like 120 or less, it could get contentious. You would think the player’s union would understand that if say 45 games are cancelled, their salaries should be cut some. But history has shown that common sense is not so “common” when MLB management and labor work on a deal.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.