Conner Capel

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Conner Capel

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not sure if many on this site have seen this news but he was beaten up pretty badly by a bouncer (along with Kacy Clemens who is the son of Roger Clemens) and suffered a broken skull. I’m not sure if he’ll be ready for Spring Training or how this effects his career going forward.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/31/roger-clemens-son-kacy-clemens-lawsuit-bar-attack/

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This was brought up earlier on another thread and I shared that Capel was fully participating in instructional camp with no apparent issues or limitations, including taking live BP. That was less than two weeks after he suffered a skull fracture? Not sure how to interpret this.

Participant

Free

Sorry, Brian. I missed that posting when I guess it was brought up. I just saw the news today when one of my friends sent me the TMZ link.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No worries. What is your take on him being able to do baseball activities so quickly?

Participant

Free

I don’t know. I was shocked when you said he was participating in drills already. Perhaps the injury isn’t as severe as originally thought?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That seems the logical conclusion. When in camp, he was one of the guys I looked for specifically because I did not have a headshot photo of him as a Cardinal. So, while I never got closer than 15-20 feet, I had a very clear look with a good lens. I also watched him take BP in the cage and on the field. All seemed absolutely normal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That picture looks like he went a round with Ray Donovan.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is how he looked two weeks later. He must have a good corner man.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Next witness, Brian Walton of The Cardinal Nation…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nah, they don’t need me. There were 40 other players in camp plus every coach and scout in the system. The MLB coaching staff came through and even Bill DeWitt and Mo were there. A witness with a big name would be more impressive.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yet did any of them take such a “smoking gun” photo to combine with your name?

Clout + evidence, Walton is your man. ?

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I was wondering how Capel and Clemens new each other so well given there was a 3 year age difference even though both are from the Houston area. It turns out Capel’s dad was a UT teamate of Roger. Capel’s dad also was a short time major leaguer, something I didnt know earlier.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the latter point, Mo, you need to read our top 50 countdown and our Prospect Guide! 😉

TCN 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #31 – Conner Capel

Participant

Free

I didn’t know about this either until the other day BHC, but looking at the picture, Capel took quite a beating. Surely, if he fractured his skull, he received a severe concussion. Is that not a concern with the Cards either and how come there wasn’t an official release by the team on the incident?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I’ve never seen an official release by the Cardinals about any player injury related to an off-the-field matter in the off-season – especially for a Class-A player. If you are suggesting the organization made him participate in a relatively meaningless camp while knowing he had serious injuries, that would be a stupid move that would set them up to be the next recipient of a lawsuit. I highly, highly doubt that. I wonder how much the team knew, if anything, before the article was published the other day. A more relevant question for me is why would Capel participate with injuries said to be that severe? How could he stand in and take batting practice two weeks after suffering a fractured skull and concussion? The pieces to this story do not fit together particularly well.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

Always 2 sides to a story and I’ll assume the club has tapes that will show what really happened if indeed they’ve got 4 locations unless someone knew them and erased them. Stay tuned!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another fast recovery as Kacy Clemens played baseball today.

As a reminder, this is the first sentence in the original TMZ story:

“Kacy Clemens — son of MLB legend Roger Clemens — says bouncers at a Houston bar beat him so badly during a New Year’s Eve event, they may have destroyed his pro baseball career.”

Participant

Free

I’m not suggesting that at all Brian and I find it very hard to believe the organization has never given a release on one of their players injures during off-season (outside of deaths of course). Logically speaking, if one of my higher ranked prospects got injured in an off-field incident, I would 1. Assume the media would come calling for more details on this news item, therefore I’d release a statement saying the team is looking into it and will not have a comment until after an internal investigation. 2. Want to bring his ass in to have the team doctors take a look at him; you know with a fractured skull and all. That would be considered ‘due diligence’ since the Cardinals and Blue Jays would have to provide a confirmation of the injuries being career altering to the justice system. 3. Want to investigate the event myself to see if a suspension or voidance of his contract was necessary if his actions embarrassed the team.

That’s just me. But I do agree, this whole thing does not add up. If Connor Capel wasn’t upfront with the team then he should be suspended. His first call the next day should have been to John Mozeliak. The fact that USA Today reports that “Capel will require annual evaluations for the head injuries sustained for at least the next five years. “, that suggests to me that he’s not going to win his lawsuit participating in practises so soon after his concussion. However, if he blacks out from his injuries during practice, his next legal claim would be against the team for negligence. I’m thinking the Cardinals were not fully informed of the severity, otherwise why take the chance.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by AvatarWiley.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years