College World Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum College World Series

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My Razorbacks are in the finals for the national championship. I will be paying close attention to that this week while pondering why the Cards passed on drafting Blaine Knight. He is only 13-0 this year (yes w-l records are still relevant in my book). You can’t tell me 13 wins and zero losses is a coincidence.

Anyway hopefully the Hogs will win their first baseball national title.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blaine Knight wins again. As bad as Baltimore is he may be in their rotation next season.

Anyway, one down and one to go.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough loss for the Hogs tonight. Game 3 tomorrow night.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Watching in passing.

Will Heimlich pitch again after throwing 85 pitches in game one?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure. I would think he and Knight would be available for one inning since it is do or die but on the other hand I wonder if college coaches are more cautious with players who have been drafted relatively high. That doesn’t apply to Heimlich but it does to Knight. The Orioles might not want their prized pitching prospect pushed to the brink of injury, althouhg he hasn’t officially signed with them yet.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Kevin Abel threw 129 pitches in a complete game 2-hit shutout to win the deciding Game 3 of the CWS for Oregon St. This effort comes just one day after throwing 23 pitches as the winning pitcher in Game 2 of the series.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hogs were within one strike and a misplay from winning it all last night. Tough way to go. Similar to the Rangers in 2011.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

That misplay was/is a heart breaker. I didn’t watch Game 2, but heard it mentioned tonight. So, I took a look at the replay and the 2B-man overran the catch-able foul that would’ve won it for the Hogs. I think the 1B-man could’ve also caught it if he hadn’t been bumped off by the 2B-man. That’s a tough one.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Euro Dandy Euro Dandy.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The RF, 2B, and 1B all converged at the same time in the bermuda triangle. They said it was so loud they couldn’t hear each other communicate. It wasn’t a routine play but should have been caught by someone. Once the Beavers capitalized on that mistake I figured the series was over. The ’85 Cards, ’86 Red Sox, and ’11 Rangers all lost heartbreakers while on the verge of clinching then flopped the next night and that is exactly what happened to the Razorbacks.

You bring up an interesting point about Abel. He threw over 150 pitches within 24 hours. You would NEVER see that in professional baseball, especially from a guy who is 19 years old.

Oregon St. has a great team so I can’t argue with that. It was still a heck of a season and I expect Arkansas to be a contender again soon. Good luck to Blaine Knight in Baltimore.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years