carson kelly

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum carson kelly

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

not as much of a story because yadi is tearing it up, but with a coming up on significant sample size carson has somthing well north of a 1 OPS this season. I dont know very many professional athletes personally so i fully (fairly or not) judge them by how many autos they sign for kids after BP/game in jupiter, carson->alot…knizner–>not alot

happy for carson on a personal level, but on a club level its a shame we couldnt hold onto him, he looks extremely confident at the plate. Again small sample size.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If Molina continues on with his fine play in 2021 would it be safe to assume he would want to return in 2022? And if so, would he want a two year deal? And would he sign another 1-year deal with the Redbirds?

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals should have givrn him a better deal this past off-season. Maybe yadi should pull a brady and go somewhere else to be appreciated.

Participant

Free

two ships passing in the night, wrong place wrong time… carson got the better end. Just think he looks like he could be a stud in near future, and its not like mlb teams dont have a book on carson kelly at this point.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ivan Aaron Herrera will make us all forget about Carson Kelly one day soon, gentlemen. Geesh, talk about a baseball name…..”Aaron” for baseball legend, Henry Aaron…..”Herr” for Cardinal star Tommy Herr…..”era” for earned run average…..”Ivan” spelled backwards is “Navi”.

Participant

Free

pugs i like your optimism- but if you can catch any dbacks games watch him. He is spitting seeds at anything not in the zone and walking, and crushing the alternative. Just starting to wonder if its a scouting issue within our FO, he looks like an all star C.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I like Kelly as a player and a person, but why draw conclusions over 27 plate appearances to open the season that are markedly different from the 625 preceding? He hit .221 with a .264 OBP last year. Maybe he is emerging, or just maybe Kelly is having an unsustainable hot streak. Only time will tell.

Participant

Free

327/507/735 now a month in, yikes

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone explain how he has a .294 BAbip and a .327 BA?

Also, I like the 15 BB vs. 10 K. Makes for a .500 OBP.

But if a month means nothing for Goldy, it means nothing for Carson.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very good question.

BAbip = batting avg on balls in play
    A Home Run is not considered a ball in play that the fielders had an opportunity to turn into an out. HR’s are subtracted by the BAbip formula.

Carson has 6 HR’s already of his 16 hits. So the HR’s raise his BA, but don’t affect his BAbip. He has a .294 BA on his other 10 hits divided by AB’s, minus K’s, HR’s, and plus sac flies.

The BAbip stat is eliminating everything from a players AB’s that a fielder didn’t have the opportunity to make a play on.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks jj. (I just checked McGwire’s 70 HR season and his BAbip was .285 and BA .299 for the year.)

I assume Carp’s in and out of the glove HR would not add to his BAbip, it being a home run? But if that is correct, then an inside the park HR should not add to BAbip either, it also being a home run.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Technically, an inside the park home run would be a ball in play and thus add to the BABIP. A ball over the fence would not. I’ve never noticed before if they split them out anywhere or if they’re rare enough that they get lost in the wash of all the stats.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Correct, the in and out of the glove HR is not counted by BAbip, because the record book gives Carp credit for a HR. When a player is robbed of a HR at the wall, BAbip considers it a fly ball out, even though it may have been a great play by the fielder.

I had never considered the inside the park HR and how it applies to BAbip. It’s actually both, a ball in play, and a HR. Very good find. I’d GUESS because it’s a HR, BAbip excludes it also, but honestly I don’t know. Fortunately it’s a very small sample size of total AB’s affecting the stat. Good one.

Participant

Paid - Annual

My imagination has BAbip churned out by computers without any human input beyond the sterile official scorecard. So a home run is a home run and it does not add to BAbip no matter the particulars.

As an aside, I had an amusing visual in my mind’s eye when I saw Brian advocating human input in application of the 3 batter rule for relievers. I imagined the cigar chompers sending him flowers and the SABR wonks putting a horse head in his bed.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This short exchange seems to indicate that inside the park homers do not count toward BABIP. But it’s not really more authoritative than any post on this forum so take it for what it’s worth.

https://sports.stackexchange.com/questions/3281/how-would-an-inside-the-park-home-run-affect-babip

Participant

This has me laughing just remembering Canseco’s header into the stands. IP and a Hr… unless they give an OF an error for a lump on the head. I bust out every time I see it.

Participant

Joel Reuter Bleacher Report picked the top-10 players in baseball for the month for April. Kelly was #1 catcher.

Our guys were Yadi #6 catcher and Carlson #7 centerfielder.

Participant

……………….AB .. R H HR RBI SB AVR OBP OPS
    2021 Stats 56 13 19 6 17 …0 .339 .487 1.184

Participant

Free

he looks extremely confident at the plate

Success builds confidence. Remember the salsa king?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Joel Reuter Bleacher Report picked the top-10 players in baseball for the month for April. Kelly was #1 catcher.

Confidence is a huge characteristic you need to have to be successful.

That report seems about right. We do not have anyone who has stood out, other than maybe Reyes’ perfect saves mark.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years