Carpenter Finishes With How Many Home Runs This Year?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carpenter Finishes With How Many Home Runs This Year?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My number is 47.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I’ll take a nice even 50…

And I really, really hope the Cardinals do not even think of batting Carpenter anywhere else in the order next year besides leadoff…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

51 because I was gonna say 50.

Question is how many more RBI is he going to drive in? I mean it’s clear this team on offense is better when he’s playing at 1st and is the catalyst of the offense. We need him to flat out be the MVP in order to get back to the postseason.

We really could use another couple of guys to step it up on offense. It would take some pressure off of him to be the guy. I just don’t know what players could be relied on to go on some offensive runs for a week or two other than him.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

How long will the salsa garden continue to produce?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll say he hits 43 on the year, which is still pretty nuts as I believe he had 3 before he broke out of his slump.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t care how many he hits. I’m just enjoying his resurgence after such a wretched start, not to mention enduring some rather unpleasant commentary from the peanut gallery. Bravo Carp. Keep swinging buddy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’m more worried about the number of wins the team has. Just like I was in 1998 when everybody else seemed to be totally focused on how many dingers McGwire would end up with.

And in my opinion we need to trade Carpenter this off season. For a guy who cant hit anywhere else but leadoff he is not a leadoff hitter. His defense isn’t very good either. We need a true leadoff hitter. And we need a 1stbaseman playing 1stbase.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would be all for trading Carpenter as well if we can get full value of a 1.000 OPS guy. Early next season he becomes a 5/10 guy making him much harder to trade.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I will say 37. I do not think he will keep up this recent pace, but hopefully he smashes well past my number.

Has a lead-off guy ever lead the league in home runs? This season he is a little bit like Stan The Man in the 1950s – a star first baseman playing on a mediocre ball club.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

CC, Carpenter still needs 3 more years before he hits 10 years in the league. His 5/10 status will remain unchanged until then.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

BikeMike,
    Didn’t Brady Anderson lead the league about 20 years or so ago when he hit 50? Wasn’t he the leadoff hitter for the Orioles?

I don’t recall whether he led the league or not but I do remember him leading off and hitting 50 dingers.

r/Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

CC, Carpenter still needs 3 more years before he hits 10 years in the league. His 5/10 status will remain unchanged until then

Refresh me about the 5/10 rule. Is that ten years in the big leagues? Or does minor league time count as well?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Only major league time counts towards the 10 years.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Forsch, thanks for the correction. Not sure how I git that in my head. Should have checked again. Still would trade him for the right deal but that lessens the urgency.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had written a message earlier that got erased but Brian already said what I would have in his tweet… Carpenter is fine defensively and generally has been his whole career at 1st and 3rd. People like to rag on his arm but that’s the big knock on him.

As for his offense, well…we’ve seen what can happen there. His skillset doesn’t scream that he’s gonna slide off a cliff all of a sudden so I’m happy to keep him around unless someone is gonna give us a haul. I don’t expect that to happen.

He would cost $30+million to replace on the open market and his salary is pretty reasonable coming up. I’m happy to put him at first and sign a player or two for 3B or SS to make us better that way.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Heck… he just climbed up the cliff.

With Carpenter, I always give him a lot of credit just because he moves from position to position to accommodate the team’s needs. He probably feels the team owes him the right to be the lead-off hitter.

This whole Carpomania is so much fun to watch…. he’s put some life into the Cards. Or at least some excitement. Right now he’s the top of the order guy that we’ve been looking for.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.