Carpenter & Defense

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carpenter & Defense

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What do you posters think about Carpenter and his defense? Didnt he play 2ndbase for awhile? I’ve never thought much of his glove no matter what position he is playing. Has he ever played in the outfield?

I am not sure what to think about the Fowler trade. It was his walk year and I assume he wants another contract. Therefore I always thought his 2021 season might be his best in St. Louis. When I found out we are paying most of his 2021 salary I sort of wish we would have kept him this year. However, now that he is gone some have speculated that Carpenter might end up at 2ndbase and Edman perhaps somewhere in the outfield.

What are everybody’s thoughts on where Carpenter is going to play? Seems to me that no matter where he plays he is a defensive liability.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

He should be a spot start guy at first or third and a pinch hitter otherwise. Playing him anywhere else would be total craziness. If we have the dh, he can do that.

Participant

Free

He is going to be strictly a bench bat. Pinch hitter, spell Arenado and Goldy on occasion.

Who knows, they might try to pull off a deal like they did with Fowler, though I sense a bit more loyalty to having Carpenter be a part of a final run for the previous core.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe that Carp will primarily play DH, with maybe some time at 1B or 3B in case of days off or (God forbid) injuries. I would expect that the Cards would hope to give him around 300 carefully selected PAs this year unless he’s hitting like Old Carp in a late career renaissance.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Fowler deal seemed as a kind deal to Fowler so he could play more. He had to approve the deal (so would Carp) so i am wondering if those are the discussions happening now.

Do you want to be a backup and part time player here, or go and try to play more often somewhere else?

I think out of respect to the player, the Cards will agree with whatever the player decides. I would think Carp to TEX could happen if we did a similar deal as the Fowler trade.

Could we snag Gallo in the deal? (eat all of Carp’s contract + Thomas or Williams + Rondon)

TEX gets Carp for free and a young OFer and a projectable P. And save 6mil of Gallo.

Gallo is all or nothing, but actually gets the “ALL” part a lot more consistently, plus plays stellar defense. Good and young, and we’d have the money to extend him if he turns into what we want. I personally don’t mind the K’s from a power hitter like that, as long as you have Arenado, Goldy, Carlson, and Dejong providing more stability.

Anyways…if Carp wants to stay i am happy to see him go out as DH or part time player, but if he wants to keep playing after this year somewhere else, he will need to prove he can play…and he might not get enough of a chance of that here in stL.

Participant

Free

It’s one thing to send cash to get rid of a player, it’s another thing to send cash + prospects.

And while you may be fine with Gallo’s K’s, the front office of the Cardinals has not shown that they are.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well…the Cardinals FO don’t seem that bothered by it…lots of K’s on the team last year… Miller, DeJong, ONeill, Bader, Carp all K’d about every 3 ABs…and none hit more than 7 HRs and 35 RBIs

Gallo won a GG, hit 10 HRs, K’s about just a little more than 1/3rd of the time and drive in 26RBIs

Seems like a better version of Brad Miller at worst except he can play defense

I agree Gallo K’s a lot but only Arenado has hit 40Hrs on the team (Goldy never has)…and he did that 3 times… Gallo has done it twice already at age 26 (in his last 2 full seasons). Also Gallo does walk a lot too.

I hate HR’s, but they do provide RBI’s, and on a team with Goldy and Arenado in the middle providing a stable foundation…you can afford a GG defender who can give you 40HRs and bat .200

Without the all around hitting style of Arenado, Gallo is a bad move IMO…but with Arenado providing power and AVG it takes the dependence on a power hitter like Gallo’s approach to srie in runs way less of a problem.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree about Carpenter and the DH. He is best suited as the DH and the occasional spot start at 1B and 3B. But unless the DH does come back to the NL in 2021 I really dont see him playing much at all. I’d be quite surprised if he got anywhere near 300 plate appearances. All of this barring injuries, of course.

If I was Carpenter I would be requesting a trade to the AL – and I mean right now.

r/Esteemed Rat

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t Carp have an option vest if he gets so many at bats? No way they let him get it here. If trading Carp to play everyday you would have to include more to cover his extra year don’t you? Or do I have his contract wrong?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Doesn’t Carp have an option vest if he gets so many at bats? No way they let him get it here. If trading Carp to play everyday you would have to include more to cover his extra year don’t you? Or do I have his contract wrong?

Yep, it’s somewhere north of 628 Plate Appearances. The chances of him getting there are very low, so I doubt he would have the option for 2022 automatically vest.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Carpenter is a DH or “give a guy a rest” player at this point. No way he plays second with Edman in the outfield. I am sure the Cardinals do not want any part of that scenario unless it is a temporary deal due to a slew of injuries.

Edman’s value plunges as an outfielder, so he needs to stay as a middle infielder.

Barring. Deal, in 2021 Carp becomes sort of the new Edman, but adding depth to first base rather than shortstop. Then I suppose Sosa becomes the middle infield back up.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

Carpenter at DH sounds kinda like Putting Carpenter in the BP. For same reason he fits neither place.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years