Carlos Martinez injured

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carlos Martinez injured

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Geezus!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the one injury in the pitching staff we definitely can’t overcome. Hopefully this is just a one or two start rest for him and he’s back to 100% very soon.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Weeks or months, suggests this general article on lat injuries. Of course, it all depends on the severity, which is not noted in the team’s press release.

https://www.mlb.com/news/lat-injuries-in-major-league-baseball/c-230442514

Participant

Paid - Annual

Ugh… I guess Gant is staying up for now….Flaherty may be back up soon….then Reyes.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Dang might explain his last start but damn, the one bright spot so far this year is now hurt.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Free

Was it Brad Thompson or Rick Horton who said during his start Tuesday that he didn’t have that extra zip and control of his fastball.

He’ll be back Saturday. IF our pitching depth in the Minors is what it’s been sold to us as being then we should be fine. The offense on the otherhand….

Participant

Gant seems to be the Card’s best option for Sunday, unless Wainwright is back. Down the road, and depending on the severity of CMart’s injury, it may mean that Flaherty finally gets up to the big club, which would get a standing O from the rest of the PCL.

For now, we have a new ace in the person of Mikolas who has reeled off five straight GSs in the 60s. That is quite a feat and rarely pulled off by the best of pitchers. This must be surprising as hell to those who questioned his signing over the winter, myself included. File this under the: “you never know” dept.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like CMart will only miss one start so that is good news.

Participant

LOL, hey there colhusker, have you ever heard of Miles Mikolas? He is only 5-0, with five quality starts, 35 Ks, only three walks and a superb ERA of 2.51. Must not be good enough to qualify as a bright spot, right?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cmart is not likely to be back this weekend, per Matheny last night. Sounds like Gant is going to get the start.

Participant

Free

I don’t know why I get angry at the fact the Cardinals lie about injuries but I do. *shake my head*

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the injury we really need to worry about. If he misses a significant portion of the Summer we are in big trouble.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, you would get a big dose of Flaherty and Reyes. That is for sure.

FWIW, I am not a doctor and I am not one who gets all over the team medical people. I don’t even stay at Holiday Inn Express. However, anyone who is even a casual observer of baseball knows that if an lat injury is bad enough to put a player on the DL, he seems pretty likely to miss more than one start. I am not calling them liars, but this kind of diagnosis stretches their credibility.

Here is an excellent writeup on lat injuries, ironically from MLB.
    Grade 1 mild – 2-3 weeks out
    Grade 2 moderate – at least a month
    Grade 3 full tear – surgery – a year

The worst thing they could do is rush him back, only to re-injure it. A second opinion/MRI situation suggests the news in the first may not have been good – or fully believed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

LMBO management goes from “expecting one missed start” to now possibly 4 or so. Typical.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds he could be back around the same time as Reyes arrives. That will be interesting.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At this rate, there will be another five or six guys on the DL by then.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So are we going to go to a 6 man or does Weaver get sent down to work some things out?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Why not move to long relief instead? Of course, then he would still have Martinez at first base, which IMO was a major reason he failed Monday.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Weaver is obviously the odd man out. Our bullpen could definitely use his arm so I hope they choose that path instead of Memphis but they have indicated they want to keep guys like Gant stretched out in case of further injuries so that might apply to Weaver also.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years