Cards infield defense

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards infield defense

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SI’s Tom Verducci weighs in on a potential problem. Oquendo can only do so much…

Participant

Paid - Annual

All the more reason Kolten Wong needs to start everyday.

I also think we might see some improvement through the continued work of Oquendo but we are obviously choosing offense over defense which makes games like yesterday even more frustrating when we score 1 run.

Participant

I think Carp’s throwing issues are here to stay. He should not be playing third but he has to.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Carpenter is a liability on defense where ever he goes, so that is a given. Martinez is the same, but has been carrying a hot bat and at least at first base he should be able to glove many somewhat errant throws.

Best if we can have Gyorko at third and Wong at second, but then you have the issue of where to put Carpenter and/or Martinez. We are pretty much committed to DeJong and Carpenter playing every day, which will cost us on defense.

Shaky bullpen, shaky infield defense – tough to see this as much more than a .500 team at this point. Although we have only played 9 games, this is about what you would expect from our club as it is currently constructed.

Participant

Free

Carpenter hasn’t been terrible, just below-average at 3B. I don’t know why you are lumping DeJong in with Carpenter defensively either.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oquendo continues to work with Martinez at first. I had shared a similar photo from New York.

Participant

Free

Dejong is a bad SS. Just saw him not get to a ball 8 ft to his left .. didn’t even stop it from getting to outfield. Range of a 350 lb offensive lineman. Hope he can play 3rd for the future.

Participant

Free

Actually, the analytics would contradict you, Dave.

Participant

Free

Dejong is a step slow going to his left. He’s a league average SS.

I don’t understand why Martinez isn’t subbed for late but I do. If Carp is this banged up he needs to go on the dl when Jedd returns.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team just has so many movable pieces. There’s certainly an average-ish defense without giving up a lot on offense between all these infielders. Of course, it’s on a manager to make that happen.

Hoping we can limit the damage Martinez does on defense with late switches, matching him against lefties, etc. It’s a shame Wong is off to a bad start (although he had a good game last night) because the team can use his defense up the middle.

Participant

Paid - Annual

When healthy I think JMart, Wong, and DeJong should play everyday. Carp and Jedd can platoon at 3B.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years