Cards Double A Player Bitten By Bear

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards Double A Player Bitten By Bear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sounds like closer material – nerves of steal

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would have plugged the critter in conjunction with his first move shimming up my tree. With both black and especially brown bears, you shoot first then ask questions later. Hope the kid realizes his mistake.

1982 willie
    Participant

All’s well that ends well. 22 follow up shots for rabies. Heck if I get bit by a bear, I’m just putting some dressing on it and staying inside to see if I get sick. That’s just rediculous. 22 shots is stone age medicine.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’d hate to lose you, Willie. If you ever got bit by a bear Willie, you just grin and bear it and take the pain. The 22 shots will pass quickly, but indeed the pain will be excruciating. To this day, I still don’t know if what I once heard is simply an old wife’s tale? Supposedly the reason that rabies shots are so painful for us guys is that the shots are administered straight thru the top of the peni s with a 3 inch needle. Hurts just thinking of that….so much so that it might be better to have the rabid bear just polish you off vs enduring that kind of misery and torment. Go Birds!

1982 willie
    Participant

Well pugsley. I dont do shots. I’d have to take my chances with some alcohol on the wound and some whiskey for the pain. Don’t have bears here very often but I have seen them in the smokies.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pity the poor bear who tangles with you anyway, Willie. When in bear country just take a couple energetic dogs with you. Bears can sniff them from a mile away and will steer clear. The only time they will go after dogs is if either they’re sick or they get cornered. Bears view dogs the same way that average people view snakes. They get real squeemish around them and want nothing to do with them…..unless forced to. Go Birds!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you….. go bears.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Sounds terrifying to me. Wouldn’t know whether to start shooting at it or try to get higher in the tree. Sounds like he was looking for something to eat. Bet hes got bear spray with him from now on.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wooster, you shoot while climbing. It’s always smart to be with a friend who is slower than you.

Just got back from a vacation in the Blue Ridge Mtns in a mountain cabin. Walking the dog at night required a flashlight on some steep hills. Heard coyotes howling and could just sense the bears, wolves, mountain lions, etc., were waiting in and around the trees. I’m taking some spray if we go back, lol.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I live and work in bear country in PA and have never heard of a bear trying to take a bite out of someone before. Crazy stuff. I did have a friend whose mom had one come up her tree stand and cause quite a stir, but the yelling scared it off. I do a lot of camping in the wilderness here (just finished a 100 mile, 5 nighter a week ago) and while I don’t carry a gun or bear spray, I am always careful about where I put my food (hanging in a tree as far away from camp as I can get it).

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You plug them, Wooster. I now worry about both Wooster and Willie when venturing into bear country. You have to have dogs, bear spray and a weapon at the ready when in their domain, gentlemen.

You did good, Euro Dandy. The dog by himself was enough to keep those animals at bay. All the white German Shepherds I’ve owned have all loved chasing the coyotes that live near us. Amazingly they have yet to catch one. My only worry has been if an entire pack were to gang up on him. Fortunately, they haven’t thought of that yet.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

stlcard25, just read a 2016 article that said there had been one fatal bear attack in PA since 1900 in the wilderness or state parks (article excluded fatal attacks by bears in captivity such as pets or zoos). None occurred in NC where I just visited. The majority of fatal attacks were in AK (24), MT (18) and WY (10). We’re pretty safe.

The bears are who you thought they were!

Pugs, bet you were a Boy Scout. It pays to be prepared! My little Welsh Terrier Bonnie is a fierce competitor and ain’t afraid of nothin’. She was lunging at a fence to get at a bull and a dozen cows on the mountainside. The bull seemed to be looking at her in amusement. I’m sure Bonnie would send a bear scurrying in the opposite direction.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like you have quite the trooper on your hands there with little “Brazen” Bonnie, Euro. Dogs are funny. My 135 lb. white German Shepherd (Baron Von Strussle) from the 1990’s, was quite the hooligan. We purchased him at 8 weeks old and he was shown nothing but total love for his 14 years of existence. But he was as mean as a cobra around strangers and large dogs. He got loose one day and attacked the mailman, sending him to the hospital. I thought for sure we’d lose him after that, but after being quarantined for 10 days, we got him back. No training worked. He was a creampuff around his family, but could not be trusted around anything else……except small dogs. He absolutely loved small dogs…..the smaller the better. Our next door neighbor used to leave his little 8 lb. dog(Felix) with us for days and even weeks when going on vacations. And when Felix was over, Felix ruled the roost.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Dogs are no doubt man’s best friend. Roach should take one with him next time he goes deer hunting (but maybe that’s not legal in Wisconsin).

I like them all. With Welsh Terriers, some people want them because they think they’re getting a cuddly little teddy bear. Instead, they’re getting a fury little assassin. Bonnie’s snuffed out quite a few critters in the back yard over the years (birds/rabbits). That’s her job I guess, what she was bred for. She’s 14 now, so she mostly observes these days. Funny that her best friend is my daughter’s Golden Retriever, 3.5 times her size, but the Golden defers to Bonnie on everything (treats, ball chasing, rubs, etc.). Shows great respect for Bonnie’s spunk and alpha-ness. Despite Bonnie’s orneriness for strangers and most other animals, she’s a loyal companion and cuddler to the people she knows.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.