Forbes rankings – Cardinals franchise worth

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Forbes rankings – Cardinals franchise worth

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Per Forbes’ annual assessment, the Cardinals are MLB’s seventh-most valuable team at $2.2 billion. That is up five percent from 2019.

As a reminder, the books are not public, so Forbes makes estimates. MLB discredits them, but of course does not correct them. So they are the best we have…

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2020/04/09/despite-lockdown-mlb-teams-gain-value-in-2020/#520ea0462010

Participant

Free

Let’s see: If there are one thousand million in a billion, one would think it not unreasonable to raise the payroll to 200 million and not even blink.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hard to say Nate. Forbes has the Cardinals at $72M operating income, which is before taxes and certain accounting expenses such as depreciation and amortization.

With the club’s payroll at around $160M, adding another $40M would eat away over half of that OI, and taxes likely eat up a good portion as well.

But then we have no idea exactly what they bring in, and this year that number will be down for all clubs. On the surface the Cardinals’ payroll number right now looks reasonable to me – not overly conservative, but not so high that the club will put themselves in a financial squeeze in the near future.

Some other clubs look to be over-extended payroll-wise, e.g the New York Mets. Guess that is part of the reason we have the thread labeled “The Mets Are A Mess”.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks may recall this earlyer discussion. Since, bikemike did a detailed analysis of the financial strength of all 30 franchises.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals true market size has always been debatable. While the St. Louis metro area might be relatively small we all know that the actual Cardinal market is vastly larger than that, encompassing many states. This is why the Cubs and other teams bristle at the thought of the Cardinals being eligible for a competitive balance pick.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

While the Cardinals reach has shrunk to some degree over the last 50 years with Atlanta, Houston, Kansas City and even Colorado getting MLB teams, the Cardinals are still a regional franchise. I think the Revenue-Per-Fan metric Forbes’ put together shows this, as the Cardinals pull the third most dollars-per-fan in MLB. However, one of the two clubs ahead of us is in the same division, the Milwaukee Brewers. Some of that is due to the Crew having the lowest metro population of all 30 teams. They do a lot with what they have to work with.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree that the Cardinals draw regionally, but so do most other teams. MLB has a direct presence in just 25 local markets across all 50 states.

Since the Cubs were mentioned, coincidentally tomorrow’s article is about Springfield, Illinois. Though it is just 90 minutes from StL and had Cardinals farm teams there for a long time, locals consider it to be right on the Cards-Cubs Mason-Dixon line, even though Chicago is three hours away.

I wish MLB would adjust their markets to reflect a greater reality, but they won’t because it would also change the regional sports networks’ pull, the blackouts and apparently, cost them money. Of course, the latter drives all they do (or don’t do).

P.S. Midwest teams typically draw the highest TV viewer shares.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I had always heard that Peoria was the unofficial dividing line between Cardinal and Cub territory. I am not from Illinois though so I can’t say that with firsthand knowledge.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

Interstate 74 seems to be a dividing line although I don’t know how it is East of Bloomington, IL. I know around Galesburg, there are a lot of fans of both teams. Cub fans may slightly outnumber Cardinal fans, but not by a lot.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years