Cardinal managerial experience

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinal managerial experience

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…Yes. The Cardinal manager explained the decision as being one that was made so that a GB would possibly end the game with a DP. He never explained that if he were indeed hoping for a GIDP, why the IF wasn’t positioned at either DP or normal depth. Pallante got the GB. The only way in the world that the GB that he induced reaches the OF is if his IF’ers are played in. You and I both know that the way his IF’ers were positioned at that moment were in the manner which would have been acceptable if there had been NO outs, a tie ballgame, or if the game were being played in Philadelphia. He either got nervous and forgot what the cicumstances were, or lack of practical experience got the best of him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The other explanation given in the article was that playing the IF in might allow a play at the plate to preserve the lead. Unfortunately we got neither a play at the plate or a DP.

The bigger picture is that there were many reasons we lost the Philly series. You have cited questionable decisions by the manager, and there were some. I have cited other reasons. Roster mismanagement is debatable but the complete lack of offense (besides Yepez) is not debatable. We stunk on offense.

The truth is that all of the above led to the defeat. Blaming the series loss on just the manager seems like having an axe to grind instead of being a bit more objective, and more importantly, it lets everyone else off the hook.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But back to your original point of this thread, I don’t know if we will see an experienced or veteran manager hire by the Cardinals in the foreseeable future. It would take a change in philosophy. As bikemike mentioned, we had the opportunity to offer Francona when TLR left and we apparently chose not to.

The front office would probably state that Matheny won a lot of games and took us to a WS, Shildt won a lot of games and took us to an NLCS, and Marmol as a rookie manager won 93 games and won the division, therefore, the organizational philosophy is working. Many in the fan base would probably view it differently.

bccran
    Participant

I’m still confused by why MM and MS were fired. Both had an adequate degree of success to keep their jobs.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…I don’t blame the series loss on the manager. He entirely owns the 1st game loss, but not the series loss. The only mistake he made in the elimination game was continuing with a line-up that was entirely foreign to what had proved to be productive and successful for his ballclub during the second half of the regular season. I genuinely thought he did a good job creating a winning formula up until the post-season. Then, for some unknown reason he made the decision to throw that formula into the fire and place Albert Pujols in the 2 slot and Brendon Donovan in the 5 slot. Why would he possibly scrap something that was proven to be effective? I feel that decision had an enormous negative impact on the offense. At any rate, in my view Marmol will always own that 1st game loss.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

bccran…Especially Shildt. Although I was exteremely surprised that Matheny was handed a championship team at a time when he had zero managerial experience at any level, he steered his ballclub to within 2 wins of a WS Chamionship. He was allowed 6 seasons worth of opportunity and the last 3 seasons were pretty bad. Shildt was blindsided for no legitimate reason and it made both upper management and ownership take on a look that could be called outright petty and not at all forthcoming. “Philosophical differences?” C’mon… Who are these guys, Plato?

bccran
    Participant

Matheny was handed a decent lineup at first, but by the time he was fired it had thinned out to guys like Gyorko, Martinez, Fowler, Pham, etc.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

bccran…You are precisely right, bc. I was actually browsing through baseball reference just the other day looking for something entirely unrelated to what you just mentioned. For some reason I got sidetracked and stumbled upon Cardinal rosters and numbers from the latter years of the Matheny era. I couldn’t help but to shake my head and laugh…

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.