Brewers thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Brewers thread

This topic contains 50 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems to be a lot of unrest about the Brewers winter to date, even being noted on the national level. Cardinals being referenced as one of the teams passing them. Some forget that last winter, the Brewers did a great job of bargain shopping later in the off-season. They may do that again.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The analytical experts always underestimate the Brewers. Fangraphs actually has the Brewers 5th in the division. Give me a break.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

While I don’t think they’re a last place team, they have gotten by on a lot of smoke and mirrors the last couple years. You can’t depend on MVP performances from good but not great players and an incredible bullpen forever. I suspect they’re more 85 wins than 90+ this year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Decent return for their 5th-7th outfielder with no options remaining.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I hate that Bumgarner news, Brian. While you’re at it, why don’t you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?

For me this would make the Brewers slight favorites to repeat as division winners, pending any additional Cards/Cubs activity. Milwaukee has decisively out-Cardinaled the Cardinals over the past 2-3 years, and this would seem to be yet another example in the offing. Shrewd and opportunistic, and upgrading where they need it most. (Unilke the Cards who have made one solitary move to improve the 2nd-worst bullpen in the National League. Sigh.)

The Birds should be targeting Bumgarner themselves now that Kikuchi is off the board. Unless of course they believe — after all that’s happened over the past 3-4 years — that Adam Wainwright should be a starting pitcher on a championship contender. In which case they should have their collective heads examined.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob, if you want more, please scroll down to the Wainwright thread. He has explained his problem last year, which of course is taken care of now.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob, if you want more, please scroll down to the Wainwright thread. He has explained his problem last year, which of course is taken care of now.

I spoke to my doctor and he says I suffer from Wainwright Explanation Saturation. It’s a mostly harmless condition, but the doc advises me to avoid psychoactive drugs and Wainwright quotes — they’re bad for both brain and ticker.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

WES (Wainwright Explanation Saturation to the layman) is certainly nothing to take lightly. Godspeed to you, Bobby…….Godspeed.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow. If you include the surplus value of a 3rd round draft pick, it works out to be more like $20M for one year. These are not your father’s Brewers.

Grandal’s thinking, I guess, is that he goes to Wisconsin, eats a variety of delicious cheeses*, has a good season, and during next winter’s free agency he doesn’t have a Qualifying Offer draft pick penalty to contend with.

Milwaukee is now a tri-favorite for the division, in my mind. Strong division, the Central. It won’t be 2015 redux or anything, but I could see the Cards, cubs, and Brew Crew each winning 91-93 games.

I only hope this motivates the Cards to make at least one more substantive upgrade to their team — preferably the bullpen. Have I mentioned that I think they should upgrade the bullpen?

*If the shoppe carries his brand.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Very good signing for Mil

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, a good signing, but not a division-changer, IMO. We saw the problems with Grandal’s defense in the playoffs, bad enough the Dodgers did not play him for a while and Milwaukee’s pitching is still a question. If they add Bumgarner without giving up a lot, however…

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Mil collects LHB’s like i collect coins, with a passion.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grandal is a nice addition for them. Arcia and Perez had decent 2017 seasons, only to regress in 2018. They are pencilled in as the starting 2B & SS. With those two, you can’t also have Manny Pina as the catcher because the bottom half of the lineup would be severly below-average. Grandal out-hit Travis Shaw last year so he’s a big upgrade with the stick and makes their lineup 6-deep.

I don’t see the Brewers having the pitching issues that others see. Chacin, Anderson, and Guerra all provided adequate innings. Davies and Nelson were elite in 2017 and Peralta provides some upside. Woodruff is solid too.

That’s middle-of-the-road in the NL and with the elite offense and bullpen….not bad.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

For my money, the Cards will have better starting pitching, offense and defense than Milwaukee in 2019. The one plus for the Brewers is the bullpen, which can be volatile year to year.

Offense: 1. Chicago 2. St Louis 3. Milwaukee

Starting Pitching: 1. St Louis 2. Chicago 3. Milwaukee

Bullpen: 1. Milwaukee 2. Chicago 3. St Louis

Defense: 1. Chicago 2. St Louis 3. Milwaukee

Overall: 1. Chicago 1A. St Louis 3. Milwaukee

JMO

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs starting five rotation looks to be rather good but with little depth. Once again they are an injury or two away from having a real problem there especially considering their supposed financial inflexibility.

As for the Brewers I think people underestimate them at their own peril. I think that has been proven before.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brewers promote their GM to PBO.

mspaid
    Participant

gscottar:

Very good article but they are done.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Looks like Knebel and Jeffress may start the season on the IL…the Brewers super bullpen might need a boost to be as good as last year.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years