Bob Gibson's Condition

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bob Gibson's Condition

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar oldcardsfan 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looks like pancreatic cancer. Didn’t see a thread so I thought I would start this.

r/Rat

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/cardinals-hall-of-fame-pitcher-bob-gibson-diagnosed-with-pancreatic-cancer-022721659.html

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I hated to hear this today. Gibson was right up there near Brock as my favorite Cardinal when I started pulling for the team in the late 60s. Hopefully he will do as well as Brock has evidently done since his cancer diagnosis a couple years ago.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I love Bob Gibson

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Sad news.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nigel says it all. Nasty nasty diagnosis, but if anybody can ko it, it’s Gibby. It’s been a good 10 years since our neighbor had it. He was one of the lucky ones. He told me that upon diagnosis, he completely changed his diet and started exercising like a fiend. He also said that he would go sit in his car with the windows up and no ac on hot summer days and just sweat it out for about a half hour and in the winter he would hit the sauna daily. Who knows how much it helped, but he beat the darn thing. Matter of fact I still see him sitting in that car of his in his driveway on summer days with his car not running and the windows up. If I were to ever come down with it, I sure wouldn’t like my chances, as I would figure I was a goner anyway and start smoking again and eating what Rat eats for dinner every night……living it up while I could .

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

My dad died with that disease but that was in 1943 and I hope they have made improvements in treatment.
    For those who haven’t studied this mans stats please read the article to be impressed with what a near superhuman looks like in the game of baseball.
    https://tinyurl.com/y3ynaj6r

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I heard them talking about this on the broadcast last night. Man, Gibby is one of those guys who still sounds the same as he did 50 years ago, and has always looked great. The key with successful cancer recovery is to catch it early. There was no mention of how early he is in the condition.

When you see Gibson, it is obvious he has taken good care of himself and has stayed in shape. That is half the battle right there. And a good message to all of us in the 50-plus age range – maintain a reasonably healthy diet, exercise, keep your weight down, and maintain a positive outlook. Not only will you likely be around longer, you will feel a lot better, which makes life easier.

ZTR
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Damn.

Born in 63, I missed the great Cardinal teams of the 60’s but we all know who the players were and what they mean to the franchise.

Prayers for Gibson and his family.

blingboy
    Participant

Free

Pulling for you, Gibby.

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

I grew in 1960’s Memphis, loved those great Cardinals teams of the late 60’s. Brock, Maris,
    Cepeda, Javier, Flood, McCarver, Carlton, but the best of them all was Bob Gibson. Pulling and praying for you Gibby. You’ve always been a great Cardinal, always been a fighter and a winner, I hope you can win this one too.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good biography for anyone wanting a refresher on Gibson’s life. (P.S. Isn’t this a great picture?)

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Love the guy. Always one of my all time favorites. Ruined my Sunday when I saw the announcement but pray the good Lord will help here.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Forgot to mention – welcome oldcardsfan!

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

Thanks for the welcome Brian. And I’ll check out the book too.
    Many moons ago I read “From Ghetto to Glory” by Bob Gibson, I could use a refresher.
    He’s left his mark that’s for sure, 1968 he was something special to watch.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I loved those years and Gibson was one of the main reasons why.

blingboy
    Participant

Free

I have always liked this one, and others like it. Looks like a bird of prey swooping in for the kill. Wouldn’t want to look at that coming at me from 60′Gibby, 1964

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good photo. The color one looks to me like he just landed a punch.

oldcardsfan
    Participant

Free

And he was a gold gloves boxer so that would be appropriate. Aaron warned players not to charge the mound against Gibson as it would not end well for them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years