Bill DeWitt Jr. interview

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bill DeWitt Jr. interview

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I believe that Dexter Fowler could ignite this offense. But I don’t think that’s going to happen because I don’t think he likes playing for Matheny.

I don’t know if Oquendo could be a successful manager. Nobody does. But he spent a lot of years working under LaRussa, and even more years observing how other managers handle their players on the field. You have to think that if he was manager, we might get at least an attempt to return to discipline, and to a traditional approach to managing players.

I think that if Mr. DeWitt is wanting to lay the blame for a bad on offense Mabry, he’s not ‘seeing the forest for the trees’ as they say.

bccran
    Participant

Please don’t enter Bernie into these discussions. He has absolutely no credence. His audience in St. Louis is very narrow and limited. He ceased being a respected sports journalist a long time ago. That’s the way the majority of the sports fans in St. Louis feel. Go to other forums and you’ll read the same thing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, please do not advise me – or anyone else, for that matter – on which links to post here. If and when anyone else writes about the DeWitt interview, and you want to share it here, you are more than welcome to do so.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, DeWitt was careful not to name any names. Bernie assumed Mabry was the target when DeWitt mentioned multiple times his disappointment in the offense.

Whether Mabry (or anyone else) is fired remains to be seen. However, as we have seen many times in many different sports, when a team consistently does not produce as expected, it is easier to change coaches than make a mass change of personnel, in the hope that a new voice will improve the end result.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember when Bernie bashing was hip. Anyway, two things keep getting harder to harrumph. First is that Mike had inertia behind him to start and its bled off so he’s under his own steam now. Second, admittedly trailing behind the first but headed in the same direction, is that Mo had inertia behind him when the smart people left for Houston. That’s bled off too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When presented this way, the hill ahead for the Cards to achieve DeWitt’s revised wild card goal looks daunting. IMO, they need a winning streak, but haven’t won even two consecutive series in more than two months – and the schedule just after the break looks tough.

bccran
    Participant

Understand, BW. No one should tell another poster what link to post.
    Totally agree.

But responding to a link should be okay. For those posters who don’t live in St. Louis, it may be interesting to know that Bernie M. has fallen out of sight in credibility because of his merciless, brutal, obsessive personal attacks against MM. He has a very small following and is generally viewed as a blow hard hack by most St. Louis sports fans.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s hard to imagine a winning streak for a team who boots the ball so often, has too many black holes in the batting lineup, and has a dysfunctional pen. The Cards were seemingly going fine until after sweeping the Cubs in May, then things deteriorated. And that’s no small bad streak…that’s 60 games with 27 wins. If you project that to continue over the rest of the season, the Cards will win 78 games and might be lucky to avoid the cellar.

bccran
    Participant

The Cards starters rank #4 in MLB in ERA. The relievers rank #21M. The offense ranks #20 in runs scored.

Close the holes in the pen and we have a shot, even with a weak offense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, I am not defending Miklasz, but simply reporting facts which conflict with your strong opinion. According to the sports ratings, his radio show is #3-ranked in the St. Louis market and first in the morning drive slot. I don’t listen regularly, but the numbers indicate that many do. Obviously not those you hang out with, though.

https://sportsradiopd.com/2018/04/sports-radio-winter-ratings-report/

I’ve seen surveys calling him the most influential sports voice in St. Louis, but that is far more subjective than the ratings. The hottest new national media entity is The Athletic, and they hired him to write a weekly column.

Again, I often do not agree with him, but that is not the point.

bccran
    Participant

BW – I am not making comments about Bernie’s integrity or character. Just about how most sports fans think less of him now because of his savage attacks on MM, which have been going on for some time. Many of them very personal. I just looked up the list of radio shows (all categories) in St. Louis and Bernie’s show ranks #130. That’s not a typo. He may have some loyal listeners left, but not many people in this market overall listen to his show.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hold on. We began this entire recent episode when I mentioned Bernie’s reference to multiple front office sources who he reported were unhappy about Matheny’s quotes regarding his use of Norris to report on other players. Your response was, in fact, to question Bernie’s integrity.

bccran
    Participant

I wouldn’t put credence in anything the obsessed Bernie says (or quotes from “multiple sources”).

https://thecardinalnation.com/forums/topic/more-on-the-locker-room/page/3/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

P.S. Comparing sports show ratings to all radio shows is pretty irrelevant, IMO.

I haven’t seen his ratings over time and do not care enough to investigate if he is gaining or losing listeners, but in a scan of other major cities’ top sports show ratings (in the link I provided above), his ratings look comparable.

bccran
    Participant

It’s felt by many that Bernie’s a sensationalist. He’s trying to ride the wave of anti-manager sentiment because people are so frustrated by a .500 team. But his attacks have become brutally
    personal and that has turned a number of people off. When I say that I don’t believe what he says, it’s referring to his opinion. If he states his opinion like it’s a fact I tune it out, and care not to believe.

As far as radio stations in St. Louis, a very small number of listeners on a percentage basis listen to sports radio. Most sports fans get their information from the PD sportswriters. Some Cardinal fans get it from forums like this and others. Bernie’s world is very, very small. He reaches a tiny percentage of sports fans in this city.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ok, but that is not what you said initially. You specifically referred to not giving credence to his “quotes from multiple sources”.

I feel very strongly about the big difference between disagreeing with opinions and questioning a journalist’s integrity. As a person in the industry, I am very sensitive about the latter.

There is no sensationalism in reporting quotes. Either he spoke to the sources and they said what he reported or he is lying. There is no middle ground.

A 7.4 rating is what it is.

How about we get back to talking about the DeWitt interview now?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t we all just be friends??????…….Bernie being excluded as a possible friend of course.

bccran
    Participant

His quotes are probably real, but they can be embellished in either the body, the explanation of them, or the interpretation. That’s where I take issue.

Getting back to the interview as you suggest – BDW is probably trying to figure out why some of his key offensive players are underperforming so much. He’s right – if you lay out the 2017 OPS stats of some of our key players we have a good offensive team. The FO did it’s job.

Pham – .931
    Ozuna – .924
    Martinez – .897
    DeJong – .857
    Fowler – .851
    Carp – .835
    Gyorko – .813
    Wong – .788
    Molina – .751

With decent pitching, that’s a very good team. What happened? That’s the $64,000 question.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years