Big Bat

This topic contains 42 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

DeJong – turned 24 this month
    Bader – just turned 23
    O’Neill – just turned 22
    Kelly – just turned 23
    Grichuk – just turned 26
    Piscotty – 26 last January

Youth.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

As much as I love Carpenter, they should trade him in a Rolen/Glaus like deal this winter. Maybe for Ryan Zimmerman of the Nats or Jose Abreu of the White Sox.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another reason I think Free Agency will be the way to go is Jay Bruce who is having a very solid year offensively and since he was traded in season he won`t cost a draft pick (correct if I am wrong about that) so it cost only money.Plus with all the Cards pitching injury problems and unreliability and since most of Cards top prospects who are close to major league ready then it would be foolish to trade top pitching prospects at this time.Wainwright could be effectively nearly finished as a reliable starter.Wacha is always a question.Reyes will probably still be a year away from being a solid starter again.Leake and C.Martinez are the only ones who have shown they can be counted on to take the ball every 5 das.Weaver certainly flashed last start and has been better but a couple of starts is encouraging but still too early to pencil in for next year.

bccran
    Participant

Where does your new big bat fit? Outfield instead of Fowler, Pham, or Piscotty? Infield at 3B?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If its Jay Bruce I put him in RF and leave him there.Same with JD Martinez.If its Todd Frazier I put him at 3B and use Gyorko as utility guy/spot starter.Te reason I bring up Todd Frazier is that he is having a down year and might be cheaper plus he plays 3B-1B .As for your OF just penciling in Pham and Piscotty is being optimistic.I think some guys from the OF glut get traded for bullpen help.My choice to sign would be Jay Bruce because he hits lefty and has power and plays decent OF.Who else is a LH hitter for the Cards and is a real threat?Carpenter and Wong are only lefty bats who get playing time.Fowler is a switch-hitter so another lefty bat couldnt hurt.Plus Jay Bruce is familiar to the NL and wouldnt have a acclimation period changing league.JD Martinez would be a decent choice after Bruce.Hosmer and Moustakas stay in KC is my thinking.

bccran
    Participant

In September 2016, Baseball America named Tyler O’Neill to the All AA team. That’s one of the best 3 outfielders in all of AA ball. He had 102 RBIs in 5 months.

This season, as a 21 year old he joined the big boys at AAA. He has 26 home runs and 82 RBIs. Some say he has “fallen off”. I say he is just developing and learning at a level now one step away from the majors. Big difference. And some have already said that he is not a potential big bat. I would question that assumption.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Prob because like Grink, O’neil strikes out more than he should and doesn’t walk all that much

bccran
    Participant

Maybe he’ll improve on that. Right now he’s facing a lot of pitchers that are 4-5 years older than he is.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bccran

Participant

Forsch –

1. the comparisons of players who didn’t do much better than our present guys but matured into big bats at the MLB level must have fallen on ears unwilling to listen.
    2. And the stats I gave of Taveras his last 2 years must have hit a wall with you.
    3. Plus his weaknesses on defense, that were causing the Cardinal to entertain offers. You’re right, discontinuing the conversation is probably in your best interest.

1. You are the only one around here who refuses to listen to counter points.
    2. This is yet another example of how you like to talk like you are superior to other posters.
    3. Yet another example of trying to talk down to a poster.

I could have come back with facts/arguments which would support my point of view but why waste my time talking with a rock. Enjoy your Clydesdale.

bccran
    Participant

Calling another poster a “rock”, sir, is far worse than having a “superior attitude” (at least as you accuse). Suggest you check Brian’s rules of posting. Probably a good idea for the moderator to refresh them for you.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I firmly believe Tyler O’Neill will be a big bat for the Cards.I just think it might be in 2019 because unless he has a monster Spring training and can get at least semi-regular playing time I think he goes back to AAA for more experience.He does strikeout a lot but he also walks more than RG.He is definitely part of the future for the Cards IMHO.

bccran
    Participant

O’Neill or Bader indeed may not be ready in 2018. Or at least until the second half of the season. However, if you go out and sign a FA, they’re going to want a multiple year contract. Which means he may block O’Neill and/or Bader from 2019 on for a few years even if they’re obviously ready. That’s a quandary. It would be another Molina/Kelly situation.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bccran
    What you say could be a possibility.That being said do you take a chance with the guys currently here now or do you try to improve thru Free agency?The FO has to decide a course of action and go from there.As for the Molina situation he needs to realize he isn’t the manager and rested Yadi is a better Yadi.If he can’t see the logic of a good Yadi for 110-120 games at a high level then he is just being foolish.He has declined somewhat especially mobility-wise behind the plate .
    Anyway the FO has decide what plan to follow.It will be a tough choice but the team as currently constructed just won’t be a serious contender.What I wonder is will the FO pick a couple of main targets in FA and if they fail to sign that target then decide to go with what is here.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Just a side note Stanton has his 2 more HR’s tonight already to give him 49 for the year…the last few year Bw we’ve tried for a couple of free agents, not gotten them and went with what we have and so far unless something changes in a hurry that course of action will have resulted in two straight years of missing the playoffs and no real expectation of that changing anytime soon…

bccran
    Participant

Don’t know what Mo is going to do,
    but this team needs a big time shake up. If he doesn’t do it, he will lose his job.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Like Walton has said this organization lacks a true power/run producer. You can point to Dejong all you want but lets see how this plays out with him next season. I am skeptical due to how a lot of our prospects crash and burn a year or two later

Cardinals will hope O’Neil is a savior but how much can you trust a guy who can’t even hit .250. I mean unless he’s the next Adam Dunn you can’t rely on him to be that guy.

I’ll be honest and Say a rental like Donaldson for the right price is right up this ownerships alley. Not too much to commit and nothing we can’t lose in prospects.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

The problem with a rental like Donaldson is that we don’t have anyone that would come after him and not sure how much he would help given that he’d only be here for like a season, at least with Stanton we’d have him for like 2 or 3 seasons before he’d opt out but we could trade him before that…though if Mo doesn’t gut the team he should lose his job, he Girsh or whatever his puppet gm’s name is, and Matheny should all lose their jobs and have it done quickly before the offseason begins so that the new gm and such could hit the ground running and give us a better team next year…

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

bccran wrote:

O’Neill or Bader indeed may not be ready in 2018. Or at least until the second half of the season. However, if you go out and sign a FA, they’re going to want a multiple year contract. Which means he may block O’Neill and/or Bader from 2019 on for a few years even if they’re obviously ready. That’s a quandary. It would be another Molina/Kelly situation.
    ***********************************************************************************************************

Didn’t we already do that with the Fowler signing? How many OF positions can we clog-up? I think that Piscotty can throw out ’17 with his problems on the field because of problems off the field. I think that with a fresh ’18, Piscotty will be the guy he was before this season.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years