BicycleMike – Smith/Ferguson Trade 1976

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum BicycleMike – Smith/Ferguson Trade 1976

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hey BikeMike,
    I don’t know why but I happened to think about this trade the other day. Just wondering what you thought about it at the time. We traded away Reggie Smith to the Dodgers, a guy who just had two .300+ years for us for Joe Ferguson. Wasn’t too bad defensively if I recall but not much of an offensive threat.

I don’t recall, but was this in an effort to get better defense behind Homeplate and move Ted Simmons to 1stbase? Or were they trying to add some offense? Ferguson had a couple of decent years in 1973 and 1974 with the Dodgers if I recall.

It was a head scratcher to me at the time.

r/Rat

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by RatsbuddyRatsbuddy.
    bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hey Rats. I remember the trade well, and hated it at the time. I was actually living in West LA at the time of the deal, and rumors were circulating all over that the Dodgers were going to bring Smith in from the Cardinals.

You could sense it coming. The deal was illogical to me as Ferguson was essentially a poor-man’s Ted Simmons. But as you said, I think they were looking to have Simmons play some first base, and even some outfield. Keith Hernandez was starting to assert himself as the first baseman, and by the end of ’76 had secured the position full time.

The Cardinals really should have gotten more in the deal, but I believe Smith was unhappy and wanted to play in Southern California, and the Cardinals had soured on him for some reason – maybe it was Smith’s attitude.

The Cardinals really could have used someone like Doug Rau, a lefty starter, but he was pretty good at the time and I am sure the Dodgers would not part with him, and they had the advantage in the deal since Smith seemed to be orchestrating his own deal.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by bicyclemikebicyclemike.
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

One issue was mistrust between the Cardinals and Smith about his availability due to injury (arm/shoulder I think), severity of the injury, and his willingness to play through it.

Reggie Jackson hit that famous HR in the 71 All Star Game in Detroit that nearly went out of the stadium, and I’ll never forget it. I’ll also never forget a few years later when Reggie Smith hit a tremendous shot (similar to Jackson’s) in the All Star Game as a Cardinal.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It was a stupid trade then and 42 years later it still stinks.Ferguson was a bust fopr the Cards.You know what i remember most about him is hearing how he liked to go in the runway to clubhouse and smole cigarettes during the games.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The organization seemed to be in a decade long slump on trades, starting right after the 1968 World Series. They made so many bad deals, and a lot of it seemed to be emotionally driven. Gussie would get upset because guys would want more money, and tell Bing to trade them.

To maintain a winning ball club, you need to be able to endure some of the negative feelings that arise from players, if they are talented enough to be major contributors to winning ball games. Great players do not always follow the company line.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bicylemike-this is true.But do we have any great players? i dont think so.We have some good ones and some that can be really good.I think our resident boatrocker isnt good enough to continue his behavior.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Resident boatrocker? Do you mean…..

Pham – because of his comments

Fowler – because he’s playing pitiful and just seems to smile and laugh and not take anything seriously and basically acts like he don’t give a sh~t.

Martinez – with his stupid hair cuts and hair colors and cup stacking.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years