Better in 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Better in 2019

This topic contains 102 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 101 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s not how I feel. The FO’s problems are dealing with what we already have. And speaking of payroll, they have squandered a barrel full of money on lost talent. I don’t even have to mention names because nearly everyone knows them by heart. Their mistakes have depleted the amount of $$ we have to spend on better valued players.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I challenge you to show me a team in MLB that has not entered into bad contacts. Without data, I am pretty sure the Cards would be near the bottom of total dollars lost via mistakes in an MLB ranking. A GM/PBO who has been in his job for 12 or more years by definition will have a longer list than newbies.

In terms of most recent news, the Cardinals’ off-season of 2018-19 has been applauded by impartial outside observers as having been one of the best in the game. The 2019 season has yet to be played and no changes will be made (if needed) to the key personnel until next fall.

Harping about this in the middle of spring training coming off a good off-season seems mistimed, IMO.

P.S. As has been stated multiple times, the Cardinals CAN spend more. They CHOOSE not to. When all is said and done, that is an ownership call.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think VEB’s article said anything specifically about the Cardinals payroll or spending levels. He said the FO needs to be more aggressive this year. I suppose that could be interpreted different ways but what he specifically cited was hanging onto players and/or managers too long instead of replacing them with better options. Better options doesn’t have to mean a lot more $.

Viewing 3 posts - 101 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years