Bernie Rant 6/15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bernie Rant 6/15

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 1 year ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    Cards667
    Participant

Free

I don’t thing they need to add anything at all….they need to SUBTRACT! I said from the beginning I thought this team was a 82 win team and not a contender. They got off to a “hot” start, but as the article shows they have been worse than the Reds over the last month and under .500.
    To me they should 100% BLOW THIS THING UP! Re-load!

Trade: Bowman, Brebbia, Norris, Kelly, Greg Garcia, Jose Martinez, Voit, Wong, Pham
    Need to be traded but probably won’t find someone to take the contract: Cecil and Fowler
    Cut ties: Holland
    Shop but demand a lot: Carlos Martinez or Michael Wacha
    I know Wacha is 27 years old (almost) and having a good season, but the good season will make his value the highest its been and hes a free agent after 2019. Martinez will be 27 before the season is done. While his trade value may not be as high as it has been, it still should be very high. He’s signed to a team friendly contract though 2021 and 2 “reasonable” options on the end.
    I know Bowman, Greg Garcia, Voit won’t bring much, but add them in and clear out options for others who deserve a chance and clear out long jams. Norris has been good enough to flip for something. I keep thinking a Wong and Kelly to Oakland makes sense. They are set to lose LuCroy and Lowrie in FA, more likely to midseason trades. They could take a chance on Wong and including Kelly could get the Cardinals a solid return. The return for Martinez and Pham should be good, and they could really add top prospects for Wacha/Martinez.

Finish out with:
    Carpenter-1B, Bader-CF, Ozuna-LF, Gyorko-3B, DeJong-SS, Molina-C, O’Neill-RF, Schrock-2B
    Pena-C, Munoz-UTIL, Wisdom-3B/1B, Mercado-OF, Fowler-OF
    Mikolas, Wacha/Martinez, Flaherty, Weaver, Hudson
    Poncedeleon/Helsley/??, Gomber(L), Gant, Cecil(L), Mayers, Tuivailala, Hicks (Gregerson and Lyons back at some point, and who knows with Leone)
    For 2019 they should get Reyes back and Leone if he doesn’t return this season. Will also have Wainwright off the books.

I don’t think it will happen, but I’d sure like to see them be better than average even if it mean this season is a wash and trading off some.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, the Cards are definitely trending downward so in keeping with addition by subtraction (40-man roster), which is what we should be thinking about now.

Subtract now… no trade value: Cecil Fowler Holland. No ifs, ands or buts. (3 roster spots)
    Forget about… little or no trade value: Gregerson Voit Sherriff Greene. (4 roster spots)
    Should be moved…. some trade value: Wong Pham (1 or 2 roster spots)
    Possible trade pieces… solid trade value: CMartinez/Wacha Kelly JMartinez (1 or 2 roster spots)
    Gone after ’18: Wainwright Leone?? (No effect on the 40-man roster right now). AlReyes to 60-day DL… (1 roster spot)

For now:
    rotation= Flaherty-CMartinez/Wacha-Mikolas-Weaver-Gant in the wings=Hudson Helsley Poncedeleon
    bullpen= Bowman-Brebbia-Norris-Hicks-Gomber-Tuivailala-Mayers-Lyons(DL). In the wings= 3 mentioned above.
    catcher= Molina-Pena (FO totally mismanaged). In the wings Kelly(unless traded) Knizner
    infield= Carpenter-Gyorko-Munoz(until DeJong returns, then back to MEM)-GGarcia plus JMartinez-Wong(unless traded). In the wings= Schrock-Sosa.
    outfield= Ozuna-Bader-O’Neill-Pham(unless traded). In the wings= Mercado-Arozarena

8 roster spots should be opened. Plus 2 to 4 in trades.
    Relacements:(9) Hudson-Helsley-Poncedeleon-Helsley-Knizner-Schrock-Sosa-Mercado-Arozarena + 2 to 4 in trade acquisitions.

The team will get younger going into ’19. The productive window is closing in the farm system.
    (note: Norris and Mikolas will surely be kept as FO free agent trophies)

To be submitted to Mozeliak by telegram for his perusal.

gmaske71
    Participant

Free

Haven’t ready Bernie since spring training. Removed him from my bookmarks after his touting of Pham’s Sports Illustrated attitude and tiring of reading how great Matt Carpenter and C Mart are and how stupid or redneck anybody is who wants to trade either of them. Martinez is injured but it’s always something with Martinez. He’s a top 15 pitcher, maybe. Houston has five of them. I find it absolutely hilarious that Bernie includes Wainwright in his lament on injuries that have crippled the Cardinals. I have loved Waino, but his absence isn’t hurting us at all this season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that trading CMartinez might work out well for us if we get someone back that can hit consistently.
    CM’s absence will be forgotten soon enough with the right guy coming back.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

I truly believe the only move we need to make is to get rid of Mabry and help our hitters make adjustments in their swing, not to approach a pitcher the same way in your 2nd and 3rd time at bat. I feel Mabry’s way of coaching is telling his hitters to be selective at the plate and tries to convince them to wait for a certain pitch but how many times have you seen a Cardinal hitter start a count 0-1, 0-2, or 1-2. And they’re always swinging for the fences.Home runs are nice but I’d rather see them in the later innings as more of insurance runs. They need to put together basehits instead of relying on a pitcher to make a mistake so they can hit a homerun.

2011 seems forever
    Participant

Free

I truly believe the only move we need to make is to get rid of Mabry and help our hitters make adjustments in their swing, not to approach a pitcher the same way in your 2nd and 3rd time at bat. I feel Mabry’s way of coaching is telling his hitters to be selective at the plate and tries to convince them to wait for a certain pitch but how many times have you seen a Cardinal hitter start a count 0-1, 0-2, or 1-2. And they’re always swinging for the fences.Home runs are nice but I’d rather see them in the later innings as more of insurance runs. They need to put together basehits instead of relying on a pitcher to make a mistake so they can hit a homerun.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not the biggest fan of thinkign coaches do MUCH when it comes to performance especially hitting ones…

but in this case, i do think moving on from Mabry might be worthwhile….not really because i think he has done a terrible job, but because they need a shake up and a new voice…i think Mabry gives good advice and helps, but whatever has been going on needs to change

Maybe Mabry is better suited for a more veteran stable group of starters and bench players, instead of the constant shuffling the Cards have done the last 3yrs

Getting rid of Mabry wont “solve” anything unless the person who replaces him is at leastt just as good (whatever that means) combined with the players adjusting and performing

Moving on from Mabry I think woudl be beneficial but not because i think Mabry has done anything wrong, I think the players have just not been able to hear what he is saying. A new voice, just like a change of scenery for players, is sometimes what is necessary for both sides to continue to move forward.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It would be interesting to hear a view on Mabry’s coaching style from inside sources. I would love to know what Ozuna, Fowler, Gyorko and other veterans who have played elsewhere think of him in comparison to other guys they have worked with on their hitting approach.

I did an internet search on articles about Mabry, but nothing much came back. There was a comment by Goold in the Spring about how some guys really connect with their hitting coaches, and some do not.

It’s tough to say a change would make much of a difference, other than send a message that management will not put up with the status quo. And maybe that in and of itself would help, as Jags mentioned.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years