Are the Cards the NL Central favorites still?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Are the Cards the NL Central favorites still?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know we’ve bandied this about in other threads, but this article seems to ask the question if the Reds have done enough to be the favorites for the division. What do you think? Is the lack of moves by Mo a sly trick to let the kids play and will it work as well as it has seemed most of the years they’ve tried it? Will the Cubs play to their talent level or will old age catch them? Can the Brewers smoke and mirror their way to the crown again?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28578785/who-team-beat-nl-central-just-cincinnati-reds

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

wins 2020

87 stl
    85 cin
    83 chc
    81 mil
    71 pit

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The only way the Cards win the NL Central this year is with rebound years from their key players. Carpenter, Fowler, Goldschmidt, DeJong. And yes, I know they all had good fWiR and BADIT and sRzR numbers and they all hit some homers and had some rbi’s. But they’ve got to get those batting averages up. These .230s, .240s, and .260 just aint going to cut it.

r/Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just posted the latest odds on the projections thread. The Reds added one win with Castellanos and are in third in the division, four games behind the Cards. This is according to bookmaker BetOnline. I find oddsmakers to be more detached and objective than many team-aligned fans or even writers pushing the hot-selling flavor of the day (which today is Cincinnati Castellanos Crunch). Not trying to offend anyone. Just being honest.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

wins 2020

87 stl
    85 cin
    83 chc
    81 mil
    71 pit

Is that a projection from someone, or your call?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

me, today. who knows who adds or subtracts, or is injury riddled by seasons end.
    And you, about the questions you asked?

Participant

Free

Should be

Carter Le GrandCarter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

I go along with Walton that the odds makers know best most of the time. But while they see losing Ozuna as a minus, I see it as a plus…240 hitting cleanup hitter? No thanks.

Now if the FO could swallow pride (and cash) DFA the ZERO upside Carp! Can they not see that Edman is a future superstar???

Wacha gone. OK. Hitters figured him out years ago. With all the assets Chi and Mil lost we are a lead pipe shoe in. We own the Reds and I personally think they finish 3rd behind the Cubbies

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ha! I’m not betting anything on any team in this division. Could be a crazy year. Hope and need a couple of the young guys to rise to the occasion like Edman did.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think we are still the club to beat due to a solid starting group, good bullpen, good defense, and the potential to see an improved offense.

You never know how a season will play out, but I believe our pitching sets us apart from the rest of the group. We might see Mikolas, Hudson and Flaherty end up as the three best starting pitchers in the division.

Participant

Paid - Annual

As of now I will say:

1. Cards 90
    2. Cubs 87
    3. Reds 82
    4. Brewers 81
    5. Pirates 67

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My own opinion…the Reds made a splash and will improve but not be favorites for anything. The Cubs are cheating time and are bound to find it catches up eventually. The Brewers are held together with glue and tape. Finally, I think the Cards’ kids will perform admirably and think the pitching staff will be excellent.

Cards 93-69
    Cubs 85-77
    Reds 83-79
    Brewers 80-82
    Pirates 68-94

Participant

The Brewers are held together with glue and tape

I wonder if the folks in MIL are saying this about the Cards. In CIN…. in CHI. We have a bunch of guys that need to improve in ’20. “Glue and tape” see Carpenter-Fowler-Cecil-Martinez-Reyes-Hicks and perhaps Wainwright.

Everyone here knows that I’m a huge Cards fan, but this season seems to have so many “ifs” (IMO more than I’ve seen in a long time) it is almost too difficult to predict a season W-L record.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if the folks in MIL are saying this about the Cards. In CIN…. in CHI. We have a bunch of guys that need to improve in ’20. “Glue and tape” see Carpenter-Fowler-Cecil-Martinez-Reyes-Hicks and perhaps Wainwright

Probably, but Milwaukee is depending on Yelich to remain Mike Trout Jr and a bunch of guys who’ve never been that good to play out of their minds. It doesn’t seem the same to me.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny said:

I wonder if the folks in MIL are saying this about the Cards. In CIN…. in CHI.

Not targeting you specifically, but on a general basis, I believe many Cardinals fans are too focused on the negatives. The offense has major questions, but the pitching and defense should again be stellar. (In fact, with Ozuna out of left, one could credibly argue that the defense should improve.)

On the other hand, this is the current projected Milwaukee rotation:

Brandon Woodruff
    Adrian Houser
    Brett Anderson
    Josh Lindblom
    Eric Lauer

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well put, Brian. While the Cards are depending on former All Stars to play closer to their potential and supplementing it with young talent, the Brewers are depending on a ragtag group to play out of their minds. Hence the glue and tape comment.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t see why the Cardinals should see much regression from 2019.

Who on offense could realistically regress? Maybe Edman and Wong. Everyone else couldn’t be much worse. I am not that worried about LF. As Brian mentioned, at worst it is a wash because of the improved defense in LF.

Admittedly there could be some regression in pitching: Flaherty, Hudson, Waino, and Gallegos maybe but I would also expect to see a bounceback from Mikolas and CMart.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years