Are The Cardinals Hard For You To Watch?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Are The Cardinals Hard For You To Watch?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know about the rest of you posters but the Cardinals are hard for me to watch a great deal of the time. And I am not saying that because of the losing. I’ve seen many losing St. Louis teams over the decades and will probably see more. Its STUPID baseball like the following that makes me ill:

1) Ozuna, going nowhere, gets picked off 1st
    2) Bader loafs home on the crazy play last night
    3) Flaherty gets picked off 2nd to end a game
    4) The double the Padres hit last night because of JMart loafing
    5) Ozuna dropping flyballs in LF
    6) Carpenter’s lob throws to 1st
    7) Swinging like maniacs in situations where all they need to do is make contact
    8) Fowler loafing into 2nd, coming off the bag, and being tagged out
    9) The all around poor hitting
    10) The all around poor fundamental play

We didn’t have issues like this during the Herzog years. Nor in the LaRussa years. At least not to this extent. Its just bad baseball a lot anymore and its starting to take its toll on me.

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I try to stay positive, but I now have to record the games, fast forward through moments of stupidity, and check updates on my phone to see if I want to continue watching.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think I would prefer a tumultuous roller coaster ride with a fiery leader who lasts 2 1/2 years until his rantings become white noise to the calm leader who quietly guides a floundering ship through dangerous waters. On the other hand, I am appreciative of this incredible sustained run of above average performance. We need some anger.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Winning sure is easier on the eyes than losing. Competitive and well-played baseball is fun to watch. When the Cards aren’t doing it for me, I’m glad I have Extra Innings so I can flip to other games. The Cards have been boring more often than not for quite a few weeks, so I’m doing that more and more. Maybe that’ll change soon.

I just watched Voit smack one off the CF wall in London against the Red Sox. Buck is talking to Sabathia about how much fun the NYY offense is to watch and raving about Voit. Buck said he has come out of nowhere. I guess that’s the same as coming out of the Cardinals’ organization.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Generally the base running and defense are improved. The relief has been pretty good. Starting pitching has been ok but not to the level expected. The offense has been a major disappointment and what I find hardest to accept and watch.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While not unwatchable, this is the time of year when I’m generally much busier with other things anyway. That leads to me not putting as much focus on watching games.

This team makes that a good bit easier. Winning cures all, but at least looking good from time to time would help. Like Brian, the offense has been the biggest disappoinment. I did not expect Goldy and Carpenter to be as mediocre and poor as they have been. If they have seasons like their 2018 campaigns, this team looks entirely different.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would like to see Garcia in left and Oneil in center for the next ten days. Denoting Nader is much gentler than firing Albert, but that is the jolt I would bring.
    Garcia has won mvp’s because he would bring some intensity.

Participant

Paid - Annual

For me, yes, the Cardinals are difficult to watch.

Goldschmidts’s performance last year, pretty much paralleled Carpenter’s performance last year. What does that seem to say?

Participant

Free

I can watch the Cardinals but what I can’t watch withot vomiting is Mozeliak and his line of BS about how he is excited about the team every year.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Difficult to watch? What?

I for one love watching this team. I love the good, clean baseball. I love the crisp baserunning that is not at all boring. I love the elite defense. I appreciate the suspense in how the load the bases making me wonder what’ll happen next. I can’t get enough.

Participant

Free

With the seven-hour time difference I can only watch day games in real time. My routine is to get up in the morning, check the website to see if we won (or otherwise played an exciting game). If so I watch the game from MLB-TV sometime during the day. If we lost, I spend the day in a crappy mood. The result is I don’t watch so many games and I see less of the bad baseball.

The first half of the season has led to a lot of crappy moods.

As I said in another thread, I’d like to have an ear in the clubhouse to hear what the players themselves are saying about their less than stirring play, the non-existent offense. Do they have post-game discussions? Serious analyses of the day’s performances, both as a team and as individuals? Is there any leadership among the players? Or do they simply make too much money to care about performance?

Participant

Free

The Red Sox and Yankees each scored 6 runs in two different innings today.
    The cardinals have scored 6 runs or more total in a game 28% of the time. They’ve scored 3 or less runs in games 37% of the time. More detailed they score 2 or less runs 28% of their games. So if you watch a three game series more than one of the games is a guaranteed snoozer.
    Pitching and defense are great but w all sports the fans like points being scored. Three total NL teams have scored less runs than the redbirds.

jimjim
    Participant

Free

Yes. Watching the same guys strike out on the same pitches over and over is tough. 90 wins might take the Central ( or even less ) and we need to get 50 wins in the second half. Can’t see it myself…

Participant

Free

Yes. Watching the same guys strike out on the same pitches over and over is tough. 90 wins might take the Central ( or even less ) and we need to get 50 wins in the second half. Can’t see it myself…

Hey man just enjoy watching an Outfield of Martinez, O’Neill and Fowler tonight.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hard to say from a historical perspective whether or not these recent teams are harder to watch than some others. The ‘70s is still the toughest era I have had to endure, due to usually mediocre to poor Cardinal clubs while the good teams had former Cardinals making a big difference. Sort of like watching a Luke Voit’s on three or four other teams.

Whitey’s teams were inconsistent – they would be good one year, not so good the next. He did get everything he could out of the teams that won, but he never put a run together like we have had a couple of times in the present century.

The toughest thing for me by far is watching Cardinal batter’s consistent poor pitch selection. Every game there are multiple examples of pitches that you can see are out of the zone right when they leave the pitcher’s hand, yet our guys will flail away at it. Then there are pitches where you would think the batter should be ready to jump on something, and they let it go right down the middle. Carpenter is a master of this. Goldschmidt has done this quite a bit as well. Bader does this all the time, plus he does not necessarily handle the hittable pitches that he swings at all that often.

I always temper my thoughts on this knowing it is a lot harder to hit than it looks. But man, as a hitter you gotta be learning what to look for and recognize when a pitch is likely going to be unhittable. It just seems our team is worse than average at pitch recognition, which the runs scored numbers bear out.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Wade Boggs once said that he would coax his mind into thinking that the strike zone contained a small disabled child and it was his job to not allow anything to enter that area. When it was time to take a pitch, the child had vacated the area. Mind games……maybe Cardinal hitters should try them.

Good show, Esteemed Rat! Has anyone in the history of this fantastic board ever initiated more epic threads than Rat? One might say that he’s the Babe Ruth of thread originality.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What is hard for me to watch is for us to constantly be behind the Cubs. 2014 seems like a lifetime ago. When will the insanity end?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Insanity can be a man’s best friend.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years