Arbitration Agreement Deadline

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Arbitration Agreement Deadline

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The deadline to come to an agreement with arbitration players was today at 11am CT. Has anyone heard if the Cardinals and John Gant have come to an agreement?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Avatargscottar.
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Either they agreed or the Cards will go to hearing with Gant. That is their policy.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No hearing. One of the national guys will probably report the money.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Heyman is very good at reporting contract details. That is the main reason I follow him on twitter. He hasn’t mentioned Gant yet but I’m sure he will.

Participant

Paid - Annual
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Goold finally getting a scoop in his backyard.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The scoop will be having the dollar amount. My bet is Heyman will have it before Goold.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

National guy broke it, oddly one currently between jobs. Slightly under the MLBTR projection of $1.4 MM.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Gant cash in. There was talk about releasing him at one point based on his second half of the season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant looked very good and very bad at times last year. He’s worth holding onto as the swingman to see if he can settle into that solid middle zone. The stuff is there to do it, for sure.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Still haven’t heard what the Cardinals were offering him. With the uncertainty around Gant’s second half of the season and the questioning of his spot on the roster, I was surprised that he would even think about challenging the FO.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We may never hear the details of the contract negotiation, nor should we expect it.

No one said Gant considered challenging the front office. After all, he settled before going to a hearing, didn’t he? And the amount was slightly lower than an independent estimate.

I doubt there is any discord between team and player. This is business as usual activity. Nothing to see here, as far as I am concerned…

P.S. I would add that Gant continues to have no minor league options, so the Cardinals do not have important roster flexibility with him if he goes into a long funk again in 2020.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Your points are well taken. But in order for this to go down to the wire, there must have been some contentiousness going on. Did the Cardinals projected monetary value for Gant seem like a low ball to him? Was Gant being unreasonable based on his production so far? Was Gant making sure he got that last dollar out of the Cardinals before agreeing? At any rate I’m glad it’s settled. He was very good for the first part of the season last year, and if he pitches like that again, we definitely want him around. (Now let’s see if he gets traded before the end of ST).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, take a look around baseball for a broader perspective. How many guys signed early (just a handful) vs. waiting until yesterday (at least for the announcement)?

There were literally dozens and dozens of deals announced yesterday.

A deadline – any time, anywhere – causes action. But it can also cause people to put off action until the last minute.

It is a rare case indeed when a player and a team agree exactly on what his salary should be. So, they talk about it and probably meet somewhere in the middle. Again, this is human nature.

The whole arbitration process is designed to get the two sides to agree before a hearing. In most cases, it worked. Gant is one of them. I really see no reason to try to read anything into this. It is business as usual.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Cot’s had projected Gant to get $1.9 so the Cards were able to beat that by $600k.

I am glad to see Gant stick with the team. Let’s not forget that in many aspects he was our best reliever the first half of the season. It is very possible that he got worn down by the second half. We need to manage his innings better. I would hate to see him burned out like Matt Bowman and Kevin Siegrist. At least Bowman has bounced back with the Reds.

Participant

December 1 2016 Jamie Garcia was traded to the Braves for Gant-Chris Ellis and Luke Dykstra. Not a bad return.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point. Ellis is still around, too, though stuck between AA and AAA and starting vs. relieving. He left in last year’s Rule 5 but was returned. May never reach St. Louis, but the minors needs soldiers, too. And he did reach MLB for one inning, so no one can every take the title of “former MLB pitcher” away from him…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see where, as part of the process,
    the ball club submits an offer lower than what it knows it would settle for, and the player submits a offer for higher than he knows that he would settle for. But I would also say that, if it was mudville in his first year of eligibility coming off of a half season like Gant did, it would not take mudville long to reach an agreement.

The Cardinals seem to have more relievers than they do bullpen spots. I could see where some other club might see Gant as being more valuable in a rotation than as a swing man.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years