Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Viewing 24 posts - 476 through 499 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Please show how COVID kept MLB from playing 80-90 games, but allows them to play 60.

That is not really a fair question. Covid19 is a ongoing continuous thing that varies from day to day and pretty much dependent on how people react to it. mask/no mask; social distancing; washing hands frequently. Now we are hearing that the virus is mutating to a tougher strain and we also hear that vaccines are just around the corner. The situation is so fluid there is only one being who can tell the future on this one.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You are right, MM3. I should have said this instead:

“Please show how COVID kept MLB from SCHEDULING 80-90 games, but allows them to SCHEDULE 60.”

That is much clearer.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

If they play 90 games rather than 60 games, everyone who is involved in the game spends a 50 percent longer time in a place of higher vulnerability to the virus. Also, over a longer period of time, people would tend to let up on their defenses. Hope this helps. P.S. Don’t you just love my snarkiness?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope Andrew Miller turns out to be worth that $12M for 2021. So far he’s been a bust. If, in 2021, he’s no better than he was in 2019, I wish they would just cut him early in the season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nightengale is back with another. White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who has been around so long he was one of the drivers of the 1981 and 1994 stoppages, shared some real doozies.

He calls his 2020 losses in the nine figures. I wonder how much of that supposed $100,000,000 or more loss is on paper. How does this compare to what the team made in profit last year? As always, no way to verify any of it.

Here is the best part…

“I was concerned the union was maneuvering not to have a season,” Reinsdorf said.

Say what? The same union that proposed 114 games, then 89 games, then 70 games – and was rejected every time? How can he say this with a straight face? Is he delusional or does he think we were not paying attention? Somewhere between six and 10 of his peer owners were the ones who reportedly wanted to play ZERO GAMES. Of course, good old Bob wasn’t about to ask for a clarification…

Also mildly interesting that Reinsdorf is against both the runner on second in extra innings and three batter minimum rules.

“I don’t like fake ways determining the outcome of the game,” he said.

On that we agree, but for 2020, it is what it is…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Some of these owners are a real piece of……..work.

Participant

Free

I’m confused with all of the contract and service time talk. One question: Will 2020 count as a contract year for Fowler or will he be back in 2022 making 16.5 Million?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hello, nate. Yes, this counts as a contract year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Assuming we make it that far, how are post season payouts to teams determined, and any idea how a team might handle individual shares?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Assuming you mean the player pool for the playoffs, per the CBA, it is based off a percentage of gate revenues. So unless things improve and fans are allowed into these games in October, the total will be zero. In other words, current course and speed, the players will receive no compensation.

There was talk about the players getting a guaranteed pool as part of the owners’ proposal to expand the playoffs to 16 teams, but that has yet to be negotiated to a conclusion. Seems like both sides would win, but for whatever reason, it hasn’t happened yet.

For teams that get that far in a normal year, their members vote on individual shares at the end (when the size of the pot is known) based on perceived contribution.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Brian. The possible/probable lack of a gate is exactly what I meant. Assuming there is something to share out, the abnormal rosters and coming and going could mean customary practices may not fit. Just wondering.

Participant

Free

I couldn’t find the thread it was discussed on, but I got an email from MLB.TV that the subscription for 60 games is $34.81 for past subscribers and $49 for new ones.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is very interesting.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This article claims that teams could re-set the luxury tax if the season made it to September 1. If the season was cancelled before that date then there would not be a re-set.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Players made it real clear that prorated meant prorated, regardless of any qualifiers that pop up.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

The fact that it is the Marlins makes MLB eating salaries easy lol.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, the question for me is not if it is prorated. The question of whether it is prorated on 50 games (for a team that only plays 50, for example) vs. prorated on a full 60. That could be a major difference for both salary and service time.

CC, I was thinking about all the incremental MLB salaries the Marlins will have to pay the replacement players, since the COVID players will get their full salaries, too.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lumping all Marlins players together does not seem fair unless they all broke the rules, yet singling out a few may be difficult. I can see a grievance coming if MLB slaps down the entire team.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Players get a small win with two extra roster spots remaining for the rest of the year.

Viewing 24 posts - 476 through 499 (of 499 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years