A Beef with Cardinal’s Announcers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum A Beef with Cardinal’s Announcers

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    dude59
    Participant

Free

Am I the only one sick of listening to Horton, Rooney, and co. prattling on and on about everything except calling the game? I just want to hear the game!! They’re constantly saying the same things over and over (walks are bad? Really? Who doesn’t know that? and who needs to hear it every game?) Shannon is the worst! He mumbles on and on with mindless/unintelligible chatter, barely making sense between snoozes. God forbid something happens while he’s on the mic…you can’t hear a word he says and have no idea what happened because you can’t hear him over the crowd! Yap, yap, yap…that’s Horton. He’s like an old woman…probably is an old woman. Sometimes, I have to turn the radio off because I get tired of his continuous distractions from the game. I have to admit that Claiborne is good and generally stays on task. Also…all those commercials!! Even during the completely unnecessary “station breaks.” Ok, that’s my rant. Solution: listen to the other team’s announcers!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom leadoff lazer to left greets Miller rudely.

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t mind Horton. I do wish Edmonds was on more games. I always like the way he goes into stuff. He’s not always favorable to cardinal front office either, maybe why he’s not there more. I haven’t listened to radio in years but I used to like Shannon.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

During bad seasons the announcers probably feel somewhat compelled to talk about ‘other’ things.

Each game is its own chapter of the season.

As far as Shannon is concerned, he’s in his last year, only does home games, and he’s a Cardinal legend on and off the field – yeah more off than on; but, his playing career was cut was waaay short by the illness.
    The man has more than earned his stripes and I simply will not criticize him.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

It’s always been my complaint – far too much blah blah and irrelevant nonsense and not enough game calling.
    Get rid of the whole bunch (except for Jim Edmonds) and hire some serious play-by-play guys.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t listen to the radio crew very often but like like ZTR said I am not going to criticize Mike Shannon. Obviously he isn’t what he used to be. None of us will be at that age. We should just let him enjoy his final year.

I do like Mike Claiborne too.

As for the tv guys, Edmonds is the only analyst worth listening to. He will mention things you haven’t thought about before. Horton and Thompson are just annoying cheerleaders. Danny Mac is ok I guess. He gets overly dramatic but he seems knowledgeable.

bccran
    Participant

I just enjoy the game. As far as the announcers, each one brings wisdom every now and then, so I’m reluctant to criticize them. They’re probably better in their jobs than I am in mine.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

McLaughlin is fine.
    Edmonds is terrible.
    Thompson is bad.
    Horton is fair.
    I wish they would bring Hrabosky back.

The Reds new announcers, Sadak and Larkin, are terrible. And I am being kind there.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

The color man that brings the most overall knowledge seems to be Edmond. Especially as far as hitting technique.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Announcers just don’t move the needle significantly (good or bad) for me as to how much I enjoy the game. If you have a great one like Buck or Scully, count your blessings.

And hear, hear to what ZTR and gscottar said re: Shannon.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a tip of the cap to Jack and Vin, Steve Stone is the best I’ve ever heard. He’s the complete package. I wish he had somehow found his way to St. Louis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is reported accurately. Tough for me to listen to radio.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had to give up on it. Wish Mike well.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Shannon was blurting out mindless drivel years ago. It’s his last season I guess. I always liked Rooney.

Rick Horton is the worst and has been for years.

Danny Mac is ok but he can schmooze and is a bit robotic.

Like Edmonds

Like Thompson

1982 willie
    Participant

It’s funny. Everyone has different opinions far as the announcers go. I haven’t really listened to Shannon in years so I can’t really say. He was ok back in the day but he is getting rather old now. I tolerate Danny Mac. I like Edmonds just because I feel he brings in a lot of knowledge. Thompson I don’t mind, same with ankiel. Horton I like on the pre and post game shows. He knows a lot about pitching. Love Al. I wouldn’t mind him doing games but I don’t think it’s going to happen again.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Erica Weston is the best announcer we have. Period.

Wowsa!!!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Danny Mac a lot better now that he’s moving out of the influence of Tim McLaughlin. McLaughlin likes to think of himself as better than everybody else, IMO. I like Danny Mac best when he just acts the way he feels.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I mostly like the former Cardinal players. It doesn’t matter too much to me how good they are in the booth. They do a good enough job IMO.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Free
    McLaughlin is fine.
    Edmonds is awesome.
    Thompson is a windbag. I could like him at 25% strength.
    Horton is fair.
    I wish they would bring Hrabosky back.

Dave Wanamaker
    Participant

Free

This year it has been insufferable to listen to the announcers. Horton constantly compliments players before and after each at bat-no matter if they strike out or not. He is like Long John Silver’s parrot on his shoulder. Annoying. And stop saying the Spanish Card-in-alleys. It’s getting old. Rooney gets so high pitched and shrill it is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I don’t remember him being like that as a White Sox announcer. I wish we could just watch the games but here in Des Moines area we are blacked out 99% of the time so we’re stuck with the clown show. Shannon mumbles so much. How is his health? Wish we could simply hear Clayborne alone on the radio. He is lots better.

Dave Wanamaker
    Participant

Free

I get tired of Horton offering three compliments per Cardinal player when something happens. Listen sometime and count them. Rooney’s play by play is ok but his tone of voice grates on my when he says “It’s a goner!” Wish I was able to watch it on TV in Iowa then I would turn off the sound. I can figure it out for myself. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest,

1982 willie
    Participant

It’s ok. It’s what the site is for.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.