2024 Minor League game thread Week 11 – 6/17-23

Home › The Cardinal Nation Forums › Open Forum › 2024 Minor League game thread Week 11 – 6/17-23

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #257562
    LACardFan
    Participant

    Free

    Well Bling – the reason for optimism with Mathews is that his walk rate, K:BB ratio, innings pitched and WHIP all improved as he jumped up a level.

    He is now third on Peoria with 58 strikeouts, and has half as many walks as the next lowest starter.

    He should have one more start in Peoria, after which he should have the team lead in strikeouts. Then move him up a level.

    #257572
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #257579
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    LA I agree there is reason for cautious optimism.

    #257590
    14NyquisT
    Participant

    Bling…. I hear what you are saying about lights out HiA pitchers. Mathews could be the next Flaherty-type guy. Anyway for now I wait for his turn comes up and enjoy noting his GS#. I’d like to keep him in Peoria and have him move up to AA for his last three or four starts.

    With Hence’s status now up in the air….. all eyes will be on Mathews.

    #257592
    blingboy
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    I have a trip to Peoria planned for late July and will try to see Mathews if he’s still there.

    #257594
    LACardFan
    Participant

    Free

    I’d like to keep him in Peoria and have him move up to AA for his last three or four starts.

    Why would you like to keep him in Peoria?

    #257605
    mudville
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Hence, apparently, has not been assigned to IL.

    https://www.milb.com/springfield/transactions

    FREE LUKEN BAKER.

    #257765
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

    Paid - Annual

    #257769
    PadsFS
    Participant

    blingboy
    Participant
    I have a trip to Peoria planned for late July and will try to see Mathews if he’s still there.

    Over the years we have seen a hoard of pitchers who can throw it past A level hitters come through the Cardinals system

    Mathews has already been promoted to Springfield with Bedell in AAA and Hence in limbo so you will get an answer to your question, but won’t be able to see him in Peoria.

    He has a very high K rate, which tends to drive up the pitch count.

    Regarding this quote, I believe Mathews leads all of minor league baseball in Ks. That’s a little more impressive than the ‘hoard’ of pitchers we’ve had over the years.

    #257770
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

    Paid - Annual

    Facundo Alpidio Velasquez…….almost everyone’s FAV. What’s not to like about this 18 year old toolsy talent from Venezuela? We all will be hearing much much more from Facundo as he continues to get settled in.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 25 years