2022 Free Agents

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Free Agents

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just wondering who are going to be the major free agents that should command big contracts next year. Some names I am aware of are:
    Castellanos
    Baez
    Bryant
    Rizzo
    Correa
    Seager (LAD)
    Story

Any thoughts on who we might want to go after? I assume that we probably need to find us another outfielder to complement Carlson, O’Neill, and Bader. Bader would become the 4th outfielder/late inning defensive replacement.

I also assume that management is going to stand pat with their pitching staff since more than likely Fletcher, Hudson, and Mikolas will be back. Along with Hicks. Hopefully all of them return and are healthy.

Any thoughts on who would be a good pickup for us for 2022?

r/Esteemed Rat

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

I don’t think the Cardinals are going to grab an outfielder.

They should be trying to sign one of Scherzer, Lynn or Stroman, at a minimum.

Who is Fletcher?

And at this point, I think you have to write off Mikolas.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Flaherty plus we get Hudson back.

My guess is they won’t play in the FA ss war if assuming we have a season. I could see someone like Marcus Simian on a 3-4 year deal.

I would grab a starter but we have options if healthy but no way they go top tier to do that.

Pretty obvi we need a 4th OF.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Michael Conforto is having a down year, but injuries have been a problem. He’s been a pretty solid hitter and would add a lefty power bat to the lineup. He’d probably play RF with Carlson sliding to CF, maybe LF if they decided to ride with O’Neill in CF.

14NyquisT
    Participant

What would it take to pick up Conforto? How about Seager?

1946worldserieschamps
    Participant

Free

I think outfielder and starter. If Cardinals can trade DeJong without taking on much salary I think Trevor Story enters the conversation. With Gorman coming up at 2B you can have Edman/Sosa/DeJong battle for the shortstop job and if my prayer is answer a new hitting coach may help DeJong find his swing. Add Delvin Perez and I think you can find someone to give Cardinals time to fix position. Big on
    Castellanos. Outfield of Castellanos Plummer Carlson with O’Neill at DH if they add DH to NL if not move Plummer to bench. Bring in Scherzer or Lance Lynn for rotation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess we will discuss this here instead of the pinned thread.

Castellanos may not be a free agent. He has an option. He can stay with the Reds if he wants to.

I wouldn’t go after any of the FA bats listed. I would go after a premium pitcher and then use the rest of our money to build up solid depth. We have to be better prepared for injuries in 2022 than we were in 2021. If we have $50M to spend we don’t need to spend it all on one or two guys. We need to spread it around. And no more long term deals to players in their 30’s!

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Marcus Semien might be a free agent as well, thought he was

The Cardinals have to get a shortstop that can hit, that has to be a top priority

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Attendance is down for the Cardinals. I think that will impact how they approach the free agent market. If they go after a pitcher, I hope and pray they don’t sign a guy whose spin rate magically went way up in the last two or three years.

The Cardinals have a nice list of potential starters for next year….. Flaherty, Hudson, Wainwright, probably Kim, and also, Woodford, Oviedo, Liberatore. I expect a comeback from Thompson, but who knows….? Maybe Ponce de Leon, and maybe Rondon. I’m still intrigued by Tommy Parsons. Mikolas will likely return to the rotation this year, and that should tell what we’ve got with him.

I could see them bringing in a middle reliever.

If they do decide to spend big money, I agree that getting one of those big name shortstops makes the most sense, although it would be kind of a shame to shut out Delvin Perez now that he seems to be up and coming.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lets not leave Reyes out of the SP conversation.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d love to see Reyes as a starter. But he’s going to the All-Star Game as a reliever. I guess if Hicks comes back stronger than ever, and with Cabrera pitching like a closer, and Reyes’ expressed desire to be a starter…… You never know.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope I’m remembering correctly, but I believe management has said “not this year, but next year” on Reyes SP’r role.

Of course he needs to finish this season and be healthy enough to be stretched out in ST.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel 100% sure Reyes will not hold up physically as a starter.

mspaid
    Participant

Free

IF the Cardinals are serious about 2022 then they sign Story and Castellanos. Anything less will be a half-heard effort…again.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can either of those guys pitch?

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Since Castellanos may not be a free agent, I guess Nate can go on saying the Cardinals didn’t make a full effort.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I like going after Scherzer. Premium pitcher who should cost money on annual basis but won’t require a 6+ year deal like most SS’s

With the SS market so loaded, I would love to see Marcus Semien on a prove it deal (in terms of years, obviously annual value would still be high). In the last four seasons, he’s been great in two and not so great in two; however, I like to throw away the covid year, and if you do that, he has back to back great seasons

GACard
    Participant

Free

An interesting name to me is Brandon Crawford. He’s old and probably heading back to Giants, but I wonder what the market for him will be. Obviously not a LT solution but I’d be intrigued

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years