2022 Cardinals MLB Game 114 thread – Sunday, August 14 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2022 Cardinals MLB Game 114 thread – Sunday, August 14 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1:55 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (8-9, 3.50) vs. LHP Aaron Ashby (2-10, 4.32)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSO and BSSW+

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We went out last night so I missed the contest and the banter on here. Always tough to lose game when you lead late, even a 1 run lead. Today is almost a must win. Mikolas needs to rebound from the absolutely shellacking he took in Denver, and the offense needs to put up some crooked numbers.

As for that ‘82 club, they did have a terrific DP combo. From what I have read and sort of recall, Mazeroski was the absolute all-time best at turning the DP. They say he would hardly touch the ball on the turn it got away so quick. But that ‘82 team was great.

Most winning clubs are strong up the middle – catcher, pitching, defense. If you have that, you likely will compete. Then if you also have a bopper or two on the corners somewhere, your team is likely very good, to all-time great status.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Yep, need to put this one in the left hand column for sure.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah I missed the last two games too, BicycleMike, as I’m presently up here in the boonies of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Summer is indeed a time to frolic…… though I hate missing these games. I’ll be returning back to civilization on Tuesday to meet Diz for lunch, and then am slated to head right out of town once again…..but I’m going to make an attempt with the wifey at foregoing our trip. Anyway, if we want to show Milwaukee who is boss in this division, this is a game in which we HAVE to win. It’s really that simple. I’m calling this one 7-4 St. Louis with Tommy Edman playing a little long ball……to the tune of a towering 2-run blow well up into the upper reaches of the right field rafters. And one other quick note…..we have had a sleuth of quality rookie posters burst onto the scene here at The Cardinal Nation in 2022, but with all due respect to them, TD (One Extremely Tough Dominican) has had a banner start here and is definitely the odds on favorite to take home Rookie of The Year honors. Well done, TD…..well done, sir.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…Your last paragraph illustrates why I continue to be optimistic to enthusiastic about the ’22 edition looking forward to the last 50 games or so. Solid defense all around the playing field, the 5-man looks to have been bolstered and stabilized, and in my view, the Redbirds possess the two most productive bats in the entire Big Leagues at the corner IF positions that match up nicely with the two perennial GG’s. The BP is a bit of a question, but it’s certainly serviceable and well above the league avg. and has the potential to be very good when steered towards it’s strengths.

As for Maz, I saw 5 or 6 years of him at the end of his career. My dad would always rave about him and encourage me to keep an eye on him at 2B. I’d pay a bit of attention, but being 10 to 15 years old and seeing a .240 avg. 5 or 6 HR’s and a handful of RBI’s on the game scorecard quickly diverted my attention back to the guy standing out in RF. In any event, yeah, all the guys who followed baseball back then saw the tremendous value of a guy like Mazeroski. One guy who was way before my time that my old pops would constantly cite as the best ever was Marty Marion. When Ozzie came along, I can still hear him say during our many discussions on baseball was, “Ozzie’s good, but he’ll never hold a candle to Marty Marion”…He could sometimes be a stubborn son of gun.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Thanks Pugs! Hope you enjoy the remainder of your trip and…GO REDBIRDS!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, Dickerson is listed as available off the bench today.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We need Mikolas to be the non-Coors version. Last night was playing with house money, but today is the game you’d have penciled the Cards in as a very solid favorite.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

From my standpoint, placing a make-believe, fairy tale baserunner at 2B in extras is a genuine irreverent sacrilege that is not at all unlike something conjured up by the whiz-kids who occupy the think tanks over at WWWF All-Star wrestling…I don’t feel the need to elaborate as to why. Every solitary so-called ‘baserunner’ that comes around to score as a result of this abhorrent rule should be directly charged to Rob Manfred’s ERA and his salary incrementally reduced in direct proportion to the ballooning of the runs that he has allowed. I think that any lawyer/business executive would undoubtedly view my idea as a fair and equitable one…Now that that’s off my chest, GO REDBIRDS!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kind of interesting how the announcers and other posters are talking like this is a must win game. I just think that talk is kind of funny. It would be nice to win it but it’s not a must win. If we lose, do we just give up and move on to next year. I remember talking about stuff like this early in the season when we lost a couple of games that were managed poorly. If we had won those games, this would be a different situation. So to me every game is important regardless of time of season. Like I said, it would be nice to win, give us a bigger lead but spare me the we must win today when if we lose, we are just out a half game and there didn’t seem to be too much urgency back in April or may from this coaching staff.

bccran
    Participant

It’s a matter of momentum on both sides. You don’t want the Brewers winning a series in St. Louis right now.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

82Willie…I’ve heard it said that it’s pointless to look at standings until the last half of August. Probably a sound approach, but I don’t possess enough self control to adhere to that doctrine.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

That was an ’06 tater by the great Pujols!

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Eddie! That’s the guy I know.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Double, SB, runner @3rd 1 out, K,K…Not too good.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Was a good spot for the Nooter to come through, Alas, he did not!

bccran
    Participant

Is Nootbaar a mirage?

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wow Edman steals his way to third and Knizer and Nooty strike out swinging and never even touch the ball. Knizer 3 strike on a pitch completely out of the zone. That pitch that Albert homered was completely looked at by Nado on his at bat as it went bye. Would be better if they got in the game at the plate.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Booster is batting same side so I’ll give him some slack but Knizer is awful at the plate.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nooty that is. Spell correct is so “woke” it keeps changing my Nooty to Booster. Political correctness is into everything!

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Don’t like Carlson and O’Neill batting 1 and 2! Bet these guys are both batting less than 150 after all star break! There job is to get on for Goldy and Arenado and they rarely get on! Carlson has hit the ball out of the infield maybe once in the last 6 games! Edman has 3rd best average in team and is super fast and should be hitting lead off and I’d rather have Donovan over O’Neill even against a lefty!O’Neill is gonna end up being another Grichuk!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I have been baffled all year by the yo-yoing of Edman up and down the batting order. Surely there must be some logic there, no?

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

@CIF – They are trying to find a leadoff hitter who can get on base at a decent clip

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

And who have they found?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1tough, I don’t look at it far as standings. Just in my eyes if you are a team that fancies a playoff run, then you have to look at every game seriously. Not saying to win one game you do something that’s detrimental to your teams long term success but again the wins count the same, same with losses. So the manager has to make the best effort they can to win a game regardless of when during season it is.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.