2021 Cards MLB Game 71 thread – Sat, June 19 at Braves – to Sun, June 20 G1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cards MLB Game 71 thread – Sat, June 19 at Braves – to Sun, June 20 G1

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (4-5, 3.95) vs. LHP Drew Smyly (3-3, 5.63)
    FOX Network // KMOX

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Atlanta is about to be hit with the remnants of a tropical storm. I would say there is a good chance tonight’s game will not be played. Maybe a doubleheader tomorrow?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We got a break last night on multiple fronts. The Cubs get pounded by Miami 10-2. The Brewers lost at Mile High Stadium 6-5 to Colorado. And the Reds lost in San Diego 8-2 to the Padres. We didnt lose any ground to anybody. Expect the Pirates as they beat Cleveland 11-10 at Forbes Field.

Anybody else wondering why Arenado is so bad right now? Is he going to end up being a disappointment like Goldschmidt has somewhat been?

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goldy “locked” in? Give him time, Rat.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

If you like or have been missing passionate baseball, the college world series starts today. It’s nice to have something to augment the mess Cards fans are currently dealing with.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t remind me Euro. My Arkansas team, after being ranked number 1 all year, got knocked out last week by NC State, which was a real stunner.

I really like college baseball though. It has a bright future as I think more quality players will choose that route instead of going pro out of high school.

Meanwhile, the weather radar is still looking nasty in Atlanta. I will be surprised if we play today.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Arenado will be fine, unless he has that shoulder issue that troubled him last year. After a great 2019 he really was not all that good on offense last year. That was a bit of a concern for me after the deal, but he started well so I figured he was 100%.

If he is healthy then he will be real good, and likely go on a tear sometime between now and seasons end.

He may be pressing a bit too, given that no one on this club is hitting much and he was brought over to give the lineup a boost. I am sure he feels a lot of pressure to produce.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The first positive note of this series – game is postponed. Finally a Saturday where we do not lose a game!! 😀

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On another positive note…….Miami leads the Cubs 6-0 in the 3rd at Wrigley. Looks like the Marlins might just have the Cubs number. We sure don’t.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright will start Sunday’s Game 1 at 1:10 pm CT with Kim to follow in the second contest at 6:08. Both games will be seven innings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1:10 CT? That’s 2:10 Atlanta time.

Correct?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

7 inning games are for little league.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

7 inning games are for little league.

But at least they save your pitching staff four innings of work. I really do not mind the 7 inning double headers.

Still not sure about the runner-on-second-in-extras thing, but then all sports other than basketball have gone to more of a “showdown” style finish to tie games. Hockey has the brief overtime, then the shootout. A baseball equivalent to that would be to play 10 innings, then send three guys up for a home run derby.

College football goes straight to a shootout, starting at the opponents 25 yard line. Pro football had the sudden death rule, which was terrible as it made the coin toss the most important event of an OT. So they tweaked it a little, with the goal still being to get a conclusion fairly quick.

If I were the baseball commy, I would tweak the extra innings rules a bit and maybe go through 12 innings with standard play, then if still tied do the runner on second starting with inning 13.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A couple of other random thoughts on this off day. What is with the Cardinals playing all these Sunday night games? Aren’t there better options than our club? For the casual fan, we have to be a boring product.

Am reading a Willie Mays book that was published in 1966. There is a part in the book where Mays talks about a blowout game, the Giants were losing this one, and the manager wanted to use Matty Alou to pitch a couple of innings. But Mays said the rules were that a position player was not allowed to pitch, so that managers could not make a farce of the game by using a position player on the mound in blowouts.

So you had to declare a position player as a pitcher, otherwise you were not allowed to do that. But then later in the season the Giants did declare Matty Alou a pitcher, and he came in and pitched a couple of innings in an 8-0 loss in the first game of a double-header against the Giants.

They did that after injuries had depleted their pitching staff to where they only had 9 healthy arms, and went for a chunk of the schedule with only 9 pitchers. Thus Alou wash the emergency 10th man if needed. Back then teams normally carried 10 pitchers, as starters would often finish games.

These days you can have a 13 man staff and still see managers make “a farce of the game”.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Having charcoal grilled Nathans Famous hot dogs again. This time with a choice of sauerkraut or chili on it. Or just catchup and mustard for the light weights. Made up some red skin potato salad. Choice of root beer or grape nehi.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s enough of our 10 oz serloins from our surf and turf meals last night at the steak house, to make steak fajitas tonight. And yes, they will be wrapped in fresh homemade tortillas. Mmmmm boy!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going old school tonight by making a big pan of cornbread, which will be covered in butter and baked beans with a slice of onion and tomato on the side. Milk and brownies for dessert.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cubs got clobbered again today by the Marlins 11-1. Two more homers for Adam Duvall who now has 16. I really wanted the Cards to sign him in the off-season. He might be a good deadline pickup.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh boy Scotty! You just scorched a granny to the upper reaches of the left field rafters with that din-din of your’s tonight. I kid you not, I just finished my din-din a little over an hour ago. But after seeing your delicious sounding cornbread medley, I highlighted your post, handed it to the wifey and said “Do you think you could make this”? She replied “Sure honey….what night do you want this next week”? I relied “Next week? Let’s give her a go tonight”. As we speak, I anxiously await din-din round 2, which should be ready right around 7:15p(cst). A tip of the cap to Bling, JJ and Cardinal In France too, as their din-din selections aren’t exactly chopped liver either.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Good cornbread is good. Fresh onion and tomato can make it outstanding. A bowl of cornbread and milk can be a meal by itself.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So…..does this mean the ESPN Sunday Night Game will be a 7 inning affair?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Both games are 7 innings. Tickets are full price I bet.

Here is a question about the seven inning games. Normally they stop selling beer after seventh inning stretch time, what about in a seven inning game?

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

About to sit down to a din-din of roast beef and Yorkshire pudding with baked potato slathered in butter and carrots. Wifey says chocolate cake and coffee are in the offing to accompany the 1st inning.

I’m trying real hard to be optimistic about todays games, but it ain’t easy. Perhaps today is breakout day for Arenado.

Rah Cardinals.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.