2021 Cardinals MLB Game 136 thread – Thursday, September 9 vs. Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 136 thread – Thursday, September 9 vs. Dodgers

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

Sure a lot of hoopla over a guy that left for more money? Just sayin. $64 question is whos pitching in the 8 and 9th? PS- McGuire was better!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Well, a nice, quiet, unexciting win. Rah Cardinals!

rzrdoc
    Participant

Free

Are you kidding? It’s GREAT to see the Redbirds come out on top in a low-scoring, 1-run game. We desperately need this type of game for confidence sake.

Good to see Gallegos get the win. I was hoping they would leave Garcia in for the save, but I get the process of making Gallegos the closer (which he should have been all along).

Note to Mozeliak – if the NL goes to the DH next year (which I hope it does not), go out and bring Pujols back for his last year. Can you imagine Albert, Waino, & Yadi all retiring in Cardinal red all at the same time? Historical.

Now let’s go get Cincinnati!

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

1-2-3 inning for Gallegos. That is what you want from your closer. Yes, technically, walking the bases loaded, then getting out of it counts as a save, but it is playing with fire and is unsustainable.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

That’s what a bullpen is supposed to look like. 2-2 ur welcome

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is the best our bullpen has looked in ages.

Reyes was good in a relatively non-pressure situation.

Then McFarland, Garcia, and Gallegos slam the door with NO drama.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Wow, they snuck that one in on me. Nice win. Where was this when we needed it the past 2 weeks?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to get the series split after how the first two games went. Hopefully they can take the series with the Reds and Pads and give themselves a shot to finish strong against Milwaukee and Chicago.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow. We may never lose again. Run the table you beasts.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Pfffftttt.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Woodford was throwing a 12-6 CB today and getting it in the zone. To me it looked pretty much unhittable. He also had a really nice slider that he was controlling. I think the biggest worry was all that hard contact in the 1rst inning. Hopefully he gets another start, avoids the hard contact to start the game, and builds on what he did today.

The announcers were talking like it’s a given that Reyes will be starting next year. Hudson, Flaherty, Wainwright, Mikolas, and Reyes/Woodford could be a pretty good starting rotation rotation for 2022.

One of the announcers commented that Mookie Betts has a bone spur in his hip. His last contract consisted of a $65M signing bonus plus $300M. When will they ever learn?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

T’aint gonna happen. But good to see some decent late game bullpen work these last two. Garcia looks like a nice find.

Yeah, ideal scenario is the NL DH, and Pujols closes out his career here as the Cards at least win the division.

I say fire Albert, and hire Albert (Jeff and Pujols).

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shildt once again did Bob Reed’s favorite move. He pulled Woodford early with a low pitching count, in order to give Carpenter his daily strikeout, and burn the bullpen more than what would be ideal.

At least this time the firemen put out the fires with water rather than gasoline.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding Betts, I must have missed something big. Has anyone said this injury is career-damaging? He is playing still and has a 136 OPS+ this season, which is right at his career average.

On the pen, I wished Garcia had been given the ninth. I imagine Gallegos will not be available tomorrow.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Betts has almost 8 WAR in roughly a seasons worth of games for LA (155 so far). Oh, and they won the World Series with him. I wish Dewitt would “learn” the same way. Betts is one guy that I’d bet will not be a drag on his deal for some time.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All I know is that a bone spur can be painful. I have to think that, when there’s that much guaranteed money at stake, any injury would be deeply troubling to the organization that holds the contract. Hopefully, Betts can play out the remainder of his contract without it effecting his production. Or maybe the bone spur can be easily removed with no lasting side effects. I wish him the best.

Just thinking….The Cubs and the Red Sox were in the stratosphere with their payroll, and they didn’t like the air up there. I wonder if the Dodgers will be different.

Speaking of big contracts, I saw that MLBTR’s is predicting that it will take $300M to sign Corey Seager. I’d love to see the Cardinals sign him. But as good as Sosa has been playing, you have to wonder if it’s worth it for the Cardinals to take on a $300M contract.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Brian, for a few reasons, I had the same thought on Garcia and the 9th.

bccran
    Participant

Why has a guy who hits 98 on the gun and has good control bounced around so much?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I say fire Albert, and hire Albert (Jeff and Pujols).

This made me laugh.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of big contracts, I saw that MLBTR’s is predicting that it will take $300M to sign Corey Seager. I’d love to see the Cardinals sign him. But as good as Sosa has been playing, you have to wonder if it’s worth it for the Cardinals to take on a $300M contract.

$300M? I wouldn’t give Seager more than $100M. He is a very good player but too injury prone for me.

Lee
    Participant

Woodford looked really good, again!
    Getting better all the time.!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

$300M? I wouldn’t give Seager more than $100M. He is a very good player but too injury prone for me.

I doubt he gets $300M but I’d guess $200M may not be out of reach. He’s a good player and you have to have good players to reach your potential. As a lefty with some pop he’d be an instant upgrade to the lineup. His injury history is overblown, IMO. There’s no free agent you can guarantee will play 150 games a year anyway, and it’s not my money so I’d rather Dewitt spend on legit upgrades than more Fowler-Miller level bandaids that have been massively worse deals than just about any of the megadeals in the last 10 years. Go big or go home, IMO. Gorman and Seager or Conforto make the lineup instantly much better for 2022, especially against our biggest weakness, RHP.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With the other SS out there….I think SS could still snag $200 but 300…nah…not with the quality of the others

Spotrac has his value around $25

I think an 8yr $25m/yr (200) sounds about right.

He is 28, 8yrs is probably 2yrs too much which is what he will want..25 might be a bit too high in the market for SS…(i feel 20 is better)…so 25 probably gets it done

Probably go in with 6yr 150m (25), gauge the price point and years…if they want more years…bring the yearly amount down, if they want more per year…see about keeping it at 6 or even 5 (using a 5yr deal to leverage that he could still get another contract at 33 if he believes in himself and his health and productivity so much to ask for more money in those extra years)

Have 8yrs and 200m be your “lines in the sand” but having Story and Correa and Semien out there to be “negotiating” with is a good thing for the Cardinals to have

Will be along winter though…with CBA obviously…but also… Story, Seager, Correa, Baez, Semien…either someone will set the market high or someone will set it too low…and the fear of setting it too low will drag this all the way to spring training or into it

If we are in this game…we should expect to be frustrated the whole winter…and token other signings like Waino, Kim, LeBlanc or Lester, or even Pujols will do nothign to ease our anxiety

And it won’t be any different for the FA SPs(if you think that is the direction we go)…gonna be a tough offseason to be a baseball fan…lots of nothing and frustration over CBA then Agent jockeying and rumors spreading…yuck

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.