2018 Reg Seas Game #81 – vs. Braves – Sat 6/30

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #81 – vs. Braves – Sat 6/30

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The official half-way point of the season.

6:15 p.m. RHP Luke Weaver (4-6, 4.59) vs. RHP Brandon McCarthy (6-3, 4.92) FOX Network/KMOX

Update: With McCarthy injured, the Braves have recalled lefty prospect Max Fried from Triple-A to make the start.

Participant

Free

To many inconsistencies in the offense, defense, and bullpen. I understand if one of those areas has an off night but the other 2 have to pick it up but lately it’s been all or nothing especially in June.

Ok, I said my little rant. We need to get on the ball, close out June with a win, win the series tomorrow, and finish the first half of the season strong. We are capable… We’ve proven that. We need to start playing like we did the last 2 @ Milwaukee and the first 2 vs Cleveland. .. and do it on a consistent basis, and it needs to start tonight.

Go Cardinals!

Participant

Paid - Annual

We just need to focus on winning each series instead of looking too far down the schedule. If we can win today and tomorrow then as we head into July we will start to get guys back from the DL and maybe gain some momentum.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kind of amazing they are still afloat. The last time the Cards won two series in a row was at the start of May. Since then, they are 22-26.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It had not happened once since 1959 and now its happened twice in a week. Another Reds pitcher has hit a grand slam. Last week DeSclafani and now Lorenzen. This is Lorenzen’s 3rd homer this year.

And the Cards trail 2-0 in the 2nd.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

After a ground rule double we’re down 3-0…

Participant

Free

Grand slam. Time to sell

Participant

Free

These last 3 games coupled with the 4 game winning streak that followed a losing stretch of games is why it is so hard to get excited about this team. They just can’t sustain success over a period of time. Frustrating.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like another embarrassing loss here. Weaver just doesn’t have it right now. He would be a good candidate to spend a few starts in Memphis to straighten things out a bit.

Participant

Free

Now we’re down 10-0 in the 6th…

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I hesitate to blame Weaver when the offense has put up a big fat goose egg. A few runs early would have completely changed this game, and Mabry should be teaching that. Hitting is more than putting the bat on the ball, it’s also about an approach to the game and putting pressure on a rookie pitcher. Embarrassing loss is right. People should be fired over this.

Participant

Free

We get a few runs back but they fit into the to little too late kind of thing…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

So much for the thought of winning the series. Another embarrassing loss in a first half with too many of them. 13 strikeouts, 11 by a rookie lefty earning his first career win. Pham’s offensive problems (0-for-28, .244 on the season) carrying over to the field. Only one error, but also multiple throws to the wrong base. Weaver looks awful. Martinez makes his first appearance of the year in right field. He can’t be worse out there, can he?

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

He can’t be worse out there, can he?

Brian, don’t ask questions we don’t want the answer to.

Participant

Free

Actually yes BW he can be worse out there. He’s just not good in the field no matter the position. Hes a DH playing in the wrong league.

Participant

Free

Luke (5 inning) Weaver should be banished to the pen or AAA. I want to see someone else. His few starts in September last didn’t fool me. I hope if he was offered in the Ozuna deal. Please make it so! Get Hudson up!

This is flat out embarrassing! Someone needs to be fired! Take a guess at who!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

I think it is time to quit letting the 40 man roster hold us back. Hudson needs to be in St. Louis and Weaver needs to be in Memphis. Whatever it takes to make that happen we need to do it.

Participant

Free

Gant’s earned more time, IMO.

I don’t see Weaver’s future in our rotation. His stuff would “play up” in shorter outings. Looking at his splits (baseball-reference.com), he seems fairly consistent. He’s made it through the 4th inning, every time, with the 4th, easily, being his best IP. And then he implodes. He’s got an 8+ ERA in the 5th, and 11+ in the 6th and 7th (small sample size) IPs. That doesn’t work in any MLB rotation.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years