2018 Reg Seas Game #80 – vs. Braves – Fri 6/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #80 – vs. Braves – Fri 6/29

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Miles Mikolas (8-2, 2.69) vs. RHP Julio Teheran (5-5, 4.52) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Is it scorching hot in St. Louis today? The Weather Channel says heat warnings are in affect all through the Midwest with the heat index well above 100.

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Teheran really seemed like a very good pitcher not too long ago, but has turned decidedly average the last two years. Here’s hoping the Cards can get to him.

The Braves have a good offense with quite a lot of young talent. Mikolas will need to be on tonight.

This one seems like it could be a 5-4 type game, although I’m hoping the good guys can get the series going with a comfortable win.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pham down to #6.

Participant

Good to see that Pham has been demoted in the batting order.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why isn’t Fowler playing against the right-hander?

Participant

Free

You do know its pretty much Suntrust that has made Tehran the way he is. He’s lost a little zip on his fastball according to reports and has been homer prone but you look at his splits home and road and that tells you what you need to know.

If the Braves wanted to trade him I’d take him in a second.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas will be absolute money tonight. Pham deserves to bat in Wong land. Matter of fact if I was MM, I would skip the #8 slot on my batting lineup card and hit Pham #9 and Wong #9A. A few interesting tidbits on this date, June 29th, in baseball:

1916 – The Reds and cubs played a 9 inning affair…..with just one baseball. Just goes to show how far societal manners have tappered off over the past 100 years. Now days Wrigley fans only throw balls back on to the field of play after an opposing player hits a dinger. 100 years ago they were chasing home run balls from their own team, down Waveland and Sheffield avenues, incorporating a fan relay system to get the ball back to the pitcher as soon as possible so to keep the game flowing.

1923 – “Brooklyn’s Jacques Fournier went 6-6 with a home run, two doubles and three singles as the Dodgers beat the Philadelphia Phillies 14-5”. I think it’s pretty safe to say that Jacques Fournier and Dexter Fowler share no branches on their respective family trees.

1937 – “Chicago cubs first baseman Rip Collins played the entire game without a putout or an assist”. An absolute dream game for we Cardinal fans with Jose Martinez being our 1st baseman.

1968 – “Detroit’s Jim Northrup hit his third grand slam in a week as the Tigers beat the Chicago White Sox 5-2”. I’m trying to think…. have we hit a granny yet this year?

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Mikolas pitches around Garcia

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Why isn’t Fowler playing against the right-hander?

At this point, I am okay with him sitting more often than not. One sub .200 hitter in the line up is more than enough with Wong playing.

Participant

Free

Hicks struggling a bit.

Rant coming about the offense.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Another Error – just sad sad defense.

Participant

Free

This is the 2018 season in a nutshell.

Decent starting pitching, decent power but an MIA offense most nights, untimely suspect defense and erratic bullpen.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

This one’s touch to watch. Our gold glover in left field muffs another easy pickup and Braves score another run. C’mon, man!! And what’s with all the bean balls? I thought C-Mart was pitching for a minute…!

Participant

Free

I am always a fan through thick and thin but this offensive inconsistency is getting really old and really hard to watch.

Participant

Free

This one’s touch to watch. Our gold glover in left field muffs another easy pickup and Braves score another run. C’mon, man!! And what’s with all the bean balls? I thought C-Mart was pitching for a minute…!

He’s not our gold glover! He hasn’t looked like a gold glove caliber fielder all season.

Participant

Free

I have never seen a Cardinal team this bad defensively since I started following them in 1964. It’s hard to believe that a major league team can be this bad defensively. Martinez needs to go somewhere. The front office needs to make several moves. Will they? Time will tell.

Participant

Free

This team doesn’t have enough to make the Wild Card as currently constructed. I don’t buy the bullpen additions off the DL propelling this team back to the postseason. Those type of additions don’t really move the needle not give you a jolt that puts you over the hump. The offense just doesn’t do it on most nights and the defensive configuration needs some sort of tweak. DeJong will be rusty upon his return. Martinez is what he is. Pham has lost a step, your got a weak armed 1st basemen playing over his head at 3rd.

Participant

Free

Pretty good performamce considering all the injuries. Tied with the Nats only one game out of the wild card. Starting pitching strong, bullpen coming around, and
    DeJong nearly back. Youngsters getting invaluable experience. Good depth at Memphis. Perhaps a pickup or two at the deadline. They seem to be set for a good second half run.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What they really need, IMO, is a nice winning streak, but I don’t think the offense is good enough to accomplish that, even with DeJong back. The Cards are fourth from last in the NL in runs scored. The pitching, which is fifth-best in the league in ERA, is going have to step up again and again, but can they keep it up?

Wacha is out, Weaver is inconsistent and Martinez is shaky. Flaherty has been great overall, but two of his five June starts were not good. Mikolas has been the one bright spot in the rotation for the entire first half, but as we saw, even he can’t win without run support.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think there are just a few too many good teams in the NL for the Cardinals to get a wild card post. A couple of days ago I checked and they were 7th in the NL in winning percentage. One club that was just behind them, Washington, is talented and could over take the Cards.

Obviously anything can happen. This club has enough talent on offense to be better than they have to date. Starting pitching is decent, bullpen not so much. That goofy “nickel curve” of GOmber’s last night that konked the guy on the top of the helmet looked like amateur baseball.

Pugs – loved the “this day in history” feature. You had two former Cardinal first baseman in your list, Jacques Fournier and Rip Collins. Both guys spent some time as Cardinals, and both were pretty good. Collins was a Gas-Houser in fact.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years