2018 Reg Seas Game #60 – vs. Marlins – Thu 6/7

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #60 – vs. Marlins – Thu 6/7

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m. Miles Mikolas (6-1, 2.49) vs. Elieser Hernandez (0-3, 4.29) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Sure could use a win today. Don’t want to head into Riverfront against the lowly Reds on a losing note and get swept over there too.

On a side note I saw this article on Yahoo Sports/MLB.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/21ed7089-87a4-3482-bdc0-308e99a2096c/ss_will-john-mabry-or-mike.html

r/Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The very first sentence in the article is wrong. Bill Mueller wasn’t removed from his job. In fact, he has the same position to this day. He asked for a leave to handle a personal matter and returned after a few weeks. I stopped reading there, but it looks like author is playing loose with the facts to push his agenda.

Participant

Free

Not sure how Mabry still has a job…

Participant

The question is will we be swept at home by the offense juggernaut called the Miami Marlins? I think not. I mean I hope not.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Don’t want to head into Riverfront against the lowly Reds on a losing note and get swept over there too.

Don’t want to head to Riverfront at all, otherwise we will forfeit the game. Same thing would happen if we went in to Crosley Field. They play in GABP these days, Rats.

But I understand your thoughts. After those years of great Reds teams playing in Riverfront Stadium, you just sort of associate the Reds and Riverfront together.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no idea if replacing Mabry would help the offense or not but a shakeup couldn’t make things worse could it? The front office tried to shake things up with the staff about this time last year but it didn’t help much. I’ve always heard good things about Mark Budaska. Maybe he deserves a full time shot.

There is no need to ask for Matheny to get fired. We have a winning record so that isn’t going to happen right now. If we miss the playoffs again this year then there might be a chance for a change but not until then.

I will say one thing about Mabry. You can’t blame him for our disastrous bullpen which is killing our team right now.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont want a sweep here, no one does. but maybe it would provide a kick in the butt they need.

Reds have been hitting lately, but their pitching has not been good after a nice little run of success in the last couple weeks.

If our bats dont wake up against them, the Reds will punish even our solid pitching enough to win these games.

On the positive side, i think our bats HAVE been waking up. Everyone seems to be slowly coming around, some faster than others. Ozuna, Carp making strides, even Fowler has had some nice games, Bader has come down to Earth a bit…Pham is fighting through his recent struggles but needs to tighten up everything else, JMArt’s poor defense isnt affecting his bat, Wong and Gyorko are showing signs of life, Yadi returning will only help as his contact skills have been lost while he was out, Munoz’s bat is doing what i thought it woudl…but last night’s defense really worried me…

The offense still has a ways to go but, it isnt getting WORSE…id still like a more dependable bat in the middle

I target Abreu from the Sox right now…he is controlled until after next year just like Ozuna so we could pair them for a nice 1.5 yr stretch and know if they dont work out we are not locked in to them long term…this displaces JMart but maybe we could put him in the deal…or he could go back to pinch hitting and part time LF…there are just too many plays at 1b for me to trust him not messing things up

Adding a solid bullpen piece has to be on the radar too…no one is stepping up and betting on the injured to come back and be effective when all of them were struggling when they left is just not a good plan…Greene Helsley are nice ideas but no guarantees…and we need at least one more guarantee in th pen…someone to not question… Brad Hand, Kelvin Herrera, maybe a reliever from the White Sox?

I dont think we need Machado and his price will be sickening for a rental… and while Abreu will cost plenty at least he has another year of control…and we could still go after MAchado in the offseason if we want too…we’d have the money

im babbling again

send down Guilmet before the game and bring up someone else he has pitched a lot in 2 days…and not done that well…not DDFA him and make him a part of the shuttle group..i think he still has something to offer

Let’s win this one for Red!

Go Cards!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade Fowler,Pham,Jose Martinez,Mike Wacha,Matt Carpenter,Kolten Wong,Carlos Martinez and go all in on youth rebuild.Why the hell not? This team is running in place ,treading water etc;.Time to cut bait with some high dollar guys and go with the younger players.Wacha and Carlos Martinez each could bring back some talent in trade.Wong,Carpenter and Jose Martinez all have some value for good returns.I don`t see going with youth as a surrender move i see it as a early step to redoing this stagnant roster which is going nowhere IMHO.

Participant

Free

It is similar to what the Yankees did two or three years ago, except I think their farm was better, and they were competing by the next year. I don’t think you sell Carlos but Wacha could really bring something back

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Garcia is back and Guilmet is gone.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Matheny seems to have settled into a platoon situation in RF and 2B which makes sense because Bader and Gyroko can’t hit RH pitching. Not that Fowler and Wong are hitting well either but at least Wong brings defense to the table.

Participant

Free

Rather have bader in the lineup Fowler cant hit and D stinks.

Participant

Free

And that is why Martinez starts

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

weird to see Guillmet get DFA’s with open spots on the 40man, they could have just sent him down…why remove him with no reason?

Weird to commit all that time and money to a guy and give up on him after 2 innings…

Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess Cards saw enough with Guilmet to decide to go another route (maybe one of the young kids gets added to 40-man (Hudson,Helsley etc;)?

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

but thats the thing… they have two open spots once they put Sherriff and Reyes on the 60day DL
    there is plenty of room

Participant

Free

Ugh Fowler is terrible, Bader makes that catch without any issues

Participant

Free

And Fowler’s error cost the Cards a run, was a great pitch there that Bourn barely got a bat on but it dropped in

Participant

Free

LUKE!!!!!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We don’t know what Guilmet’s contract says, but perhaps he could not be sent down again. Clearly, the Cardinals saw all they needed to see. Next man up!

The Cards win 4-1 to salvage the final game of the three-game set and improve to 33-27.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I wouldn’t call it a good win…it’s still good to get the bleeding stopped. Hopefully they can play better in Cincinnati than they did the last couple days.

Participant

Free

I was pretty high on Mikolas from the start. I didn’t know he would be this good though, better than Lynn or Leake though at a minimum.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years