2017 Rule 5 Draft

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 Rule 5 Draft

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals didn’t lose anyone. Not surprised.

Lost Jacob Wilson in AAA portion, but gained a 17 year old?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gained two outfielders i think… Selmo and someone else…

maybe we can quickly snatch up Wisdom, POncedeleon and some of the others available?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Dont follow you Jager

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC well since Wisdom and the other guys eligible for Rule 5 that didnt get picked dont they become minor league free agents or something? or do they stay with us? Id be happy to keep all of them

maybe i am mixing up my rules….i probably am

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We picked up a AA OF in Moreno that wouldn’t make our top-50 IMO. Selmo is a 17 y.o OF who Brian has placed at the DSL level. Presently, they appear on the Memphis roster because of MiLB draft rules, but I believe that they may be assigned to any level when camps open.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, you did mix up free agency and Rule 5. The two are not connected.

For those who subscribe, I posted up a 1900-word article about Rule 5 at midday today.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nope Jag, they are ours for the at least the next year unless we cut or trade them.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager, if I remember correctly, 6 years after first signing a contract, any player not on a 40 man MLB roster becomes a minor league free agent. A player not on a 40 man roster is eligible for the rule 5 draft 3 or 4 years, depending on some circumstances, after first signing a contract.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

wait… so they are still with us for at least one more year then? So we don;t need to re-sign them or anything?

I am a bit confused obviously..

but if we get to hold them another year at least (if we want) that is wonderful news IMO

I really want to see if Wisdom turned a corner and I really want to see Ponce back on that mound

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

wait… so they are still with us for at least one more year then?

Yes.

So we don;t need to re-sign them or anything?

No.

Jager, I wrote two articles that explain player-by-player which ones were free agent eligible and why. Here are the links.
    https://thecardinalnation.com/projected-2017-cardinals-minor-league-free-agents/
    https://thecardinalnation.com/impact-of-departing-and-returning-cardinals-minor-league-free-agents/

Rule 5 eligibility is separate and distinct from free agency. Different rules to qualify. Again, I went through a lot of detail to explain which players were Rule 5 eligible and why. Here is the article.
    https://thecardinalnation.com/the-cardinal-nations-2017-rule-5-protection-picks/

Please read them as I think they will help you better understand. I will try to answer questions if you have any after that.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks Brian… i appreciate the links!

Things always seem to get muddied up in my head around Rule 5 time

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, it can get very complicated. I try to break it down for readers, but even the explanations can get very detailed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years