2017 MLB Game #98: Cards at Cubs: Sun Jul 23

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #98: Cards at Cubs: Sun Jul 23

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Wacha (7-3, 3.71) vs. José Quintana (5-8, 4.20) 7:08 p.m. ESPN

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Brian WaltonBrian Walton.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Seems like there should be more activity here with the upcoming Sunday night ESPN game. Maybe posters are down on the Cardinals and aren’t into it like they have been in other years?

Anyway, Phillies are leading the Brewers 6-2 in the 6th so with a win tonight the Cubs would be tied for 1st place. They have a weekend series in Milwaukee next weekend, that could be entertaining.

Anybody have the weather forecast for Chicago tonight? We had over four inches of rain here in SW Indiana last night and this morning. Sure hope this game gets played as I am anxious to see whether or not Wacha can put up another good outing.

r/Rat

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Tonight’s game is as close to a must win as they’ve had this year. 50 losses already and only 65 games to go, and we’re still in a bad place with the bullpen; other teams can’t wait to get to our bullpen late in the game. Mozeliak’s interview Friday was well stated, I thought. Players need to look in the mirror for accountability and start thinking like winners. What most of us have been saying all year. 90% mental and the other half is physical.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Thinking like a winner is needed, but we need a few more players with winning skills that are currently lacking. Sorry, but Mo’s words mean very little, just like they meant very little over six weeks ago before his “promotion.”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

Let’s see – Mozeliak is the one that refused to bring people up from AAA and chose to play with a short bench the first third of the season…

Somebody chose to award Jhonny Peralta the starting 3B out of spring training, even though he was terrible at it last year and did nothing to “win” it in spring training.

Mo is the one that chose to go after Dexter Fowler to upgrade the defense – when Dexter Fowler is one of the worst defenders on the team, if not the worst.

Maybe when Mo starts trying to actually improve the roster, and people actually have to win their jobs in spring training, Mo can talk about how people should look in the mirror.

Participant

Free

Totally get the frustration w/MO, I’ve been very critical of him too, but he went way beyond just pointing the finger at players. He says they’re all accountable, top management to coaching staff to players and all share the blame for where they’re at today. That’s a true statement. But, good professional players who make mental errors that have cost this team several games, and probably the lead in the division, through defensive errors, base running, pitch selection, poor approach to the at-bat, means an attitude adjustment is in order. He is right about that. Roll in questionable field management decisions (e.g., using Cecil and Oh in game save situations when they are under performing) and you have a team that should be well over .500. If they focus less on the Lynn decision and more on getting the most out of each player, they can still contend w/Cubs and Brew crew (IMHO).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter left the game after being thrown out at the plate by a country mile.

Participant

Free

Is it just me, or are these ESPN color commentators completely biased towards the Cubs? 75% of commentary is about what great performers the Cubs are. The other 25% is how poorly the Cards are performing this year. Switching to radio.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Two doubles and a blooper for the Cubs enable them to tie the game 2-2 in home third.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yep, a lot of fault at all levels. Mozeliak has got to be a leader and say the right things. However, it’s particularly irksome to me that he challenged everyone up and down the line in his June 9 conference, to include himself, saying everyone’s performance will be observed over the next 4-6 weeks and pending decisions will be based on those results. Then, he gets “promoted” three weeks later.

Take all of that into context vis-a-vis his several miscalculations over the last year, and that’s why he is especially annoying to me presently. It’s poor leadership, especially when the biggest overall factor in the Cardinals losing record this year are his miscalculations, imo.

Participant

Free

Then DeJong and Schwarber hit solo shots and now tied 3-3…

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards recaptured the lead in the top of the fourth, but it just lasted until the second Cubs batter in the bottom of the fourth.

StL would still have the lead except that just before DeJong’s homer, Molina was easily thrown out trying to steal second base.

Participant

Free

I guess the DeWitt’s are ultimately accountable and they apparently like Mozeliak exactly where he’s at. But agree MO deserves much of the blame for the team’s performance and their “attitude.”

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards just can’t hold a lead. Wacha looks like he’s about done in the 6th after giving up the 2-run shot, and trailing 5-3 now. Matheny looks like he will try to get him through the 6th.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha not nearly so sharp tonight as last start. It probably would have been expected after the last start. Contreras homers and puts the Cards in a very tough spot, down 5-3 and facing the Cubs bullpen again.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5-3, final. The Cubs pull into a tie for first and the Cards fall further into 4th, 4.5 games back.

Despite not being totally out of it, depending on the severity of the Carpenter injury I could see the sale beginning as soon as tomorrow. It’s time.

Participant

Free

Tough loss, but preventable. Two base running mistakes may have cost us a few runs, especially the odd decision to send Carpenter home in the first inning when guys were hitting Qintana hard, and DeJong was on deck with a chance for a big inning.

The Cubs are just a deeper team, and the Cards have very little room for error against them. We basically have to hold the to 3-4 runs to have a good shot because our offense isn’t very good, but it’s hard to hold a good lineup, especially when you don’t play good defense and don’t have a reliable bullpen.

Participant

Free

No Sale!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think the Cards are 4-8 against the Cubs now. In most of the Cards’ losses, they have been ahead by 2 or more runs. Too often it’s like the Cubs are just humoring the Cards, seemingly knowing they can toy with them before winning in the later innings. When you’re at this kind of disadvantage, you really can’t afford to have two empty-headed base running decisions…yet again.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Two base running mistakes may have cost us a few runs, especially the odd decision to send Carpenter home in the first inning when guys were hitting Qintana hard, and DeJong was on deck with a chance for a big inning.

Just more of the same.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

tough series…had a good chance at all the games…just like the NYM ones…

hard to think with losing such close games that a few small moves might be all this team needs to get over the hump…its not easy but i think the results are showing we are closer rather than farther away

as for lack of posting…i use my phone to post when not at work… (like now) and the phone interface for the forum is terrible to read and load and makes it hard to post… i have 1gb internet (190mb wireless), and an iphone 7 plus so i dont think it is on my end…it’s just that this style of forum just isnt good for mobile devices…i love the history here so i try to still read but posting and participating is getting very tough… i know Brian probably already knows all of this and is doing his best

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, please check the thread about the new site stuck to the top of the board. There is both status on the mobile device support and some helpful tips others have discovered to make things a bit better in the interim.

Participant

Paid - Annual

jager…. sometimes I agree and sometimes disagree, but I enjoy reading your comments so I hope you become more able to get through to us.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years