2017 MLB Game #93: Cards at Mets: Tue July 18

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #93: Cards at Mets: Tue July 18

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Wacha (6-3, 4.10) vs. Rafael Montero (1-5, 5.77) 6:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is the kind of game the Cards need to win going away…and also the kind of game they have not done as well as hoped for this year. Without the losses to the Bronson Arroyos of the world this team would have a lot nicer record.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s my birthday today so the boys better win it! 🙂

Go Cards!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy birthday, jager! Hopefully the Cards will spitball their way to a win for you tonight!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy Birthday, Jags!

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

If Wacha can locate, we win. No better way to celebrate Jager’s b-day.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Happy birthday!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice start for the offense. 4-0 after the top of the 2nd. Now let’s keep scoring after this inning, unlike a few of those games in May.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really good game by Wacha so far with a few really quick innings. This is the type of start we really could have used.

4 hits for Carpenter tonight. Good to see him heating up.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wacha’s best outing of the year. First time he has gone 7 innings, giving up just 2 hits. He’s at 87 pitches and will evidently pitch into the 8th.

Participant

Free

Well Wacha’s got through 8 innings with only 2 hits…just one more inning…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wacha with the complete game, 3-hit shutout.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Surprised they sent him back out for the 9th but he was feeling it. Great outing for Wacha, good to get the win. Now let’s get to .500 tomorrow.

Participant

Free

Wacha pitches the whole game and gets the win with a shutout…

Participant

Free

Just when you think they are out of it the Brewers lose 3 in a row and they are 4 back. Of course its really the Cubs they are chasing. Sell or buy or both? We shall find out soon enough.

Participant

Free

Wacha – arbitration 2018 and 2019
    Waino – signed through 2018
    Carlos – signed through 2021
    (Team options 2022 and 2023)
    Leake – signed through 2020 (Mutual option 2021)
    Reyes – controlled through 2022

Where does that leave Weaver, Marco G., Flaherty, Gant, Mayers, Pearce, Hudson, Gallen, Gomber, Alcantara, Fernandez, etc.?

Participant

Free

I loved the way Wacha pitched last night, but I am sorry MM is freking STUPID as sin for sending him back out for the 9th with 97 pitches and his history of shoulder issues it just makes no sense with a 5-0 lead to run him back out there.

Participant

Mets announcers kept complaining about the time spent on the Gyorko replay. MLB wants to speed up the game and institutes the one thing that causes 10-15 minutes of nothingness. Two grown men standing around with wires and etc. up their a$$e$ looking like fools. I HATE REPLAY!!!! Play the game.

Teams get 1/2 the calls in favor and 1/2 against…. in the long run it all works out it’s the nature of the game. The umpires would make sure of that. Maybe only use it in the post-season.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonderfully pitched game… thanks Wacha

replay isnt going anywhere..if anything they will add to it…. it will obviously be revamped to try to streamline…btu with replay some of the plays take longer to look at..

as for 1/2 for and against… MLB doesn’t want a World Series decided on a mistake…nor does any team, or player want to be cheated out of something when the tech exists to get it right….

so…the league, the players union, and the owners all have a vested interest in wanting replay

As I see it, i start to agree with MCCarver more and more about pace of play and game lengths, if you want to do something about it…. eliminate the meetings at the mound…you get one from a coach (or you could adapt to it include a catcher)…and the second meeting means the pitcher must be removed… that’s it… the catcher’s and infielders coming in all the time really slows it all down…

Participant

Free

bccran
    Where does that leave Weaver, Marco G., Flaherty, Gant, Mayers, Pearce, Hudson, Gallen, Gomber, Alcantara, Fernandez, etc.?

I’d go

Weaver – Bullpen, “7th starter”
    Gonzales – bullpen
    Flaherty – 2019 arrival (replaces Wainwright)
    Gant – bullpen
    Mayers – AAAA
    Pearce – AAAA
    Hudson – 2019 arrival, Flaherty’s backup, potential Weaver replacement as 7th starter/BP guy.
    Gallen – Not sure what we have here yet
    Gomber – AAA in 2018, no idea
    Alcantara – AAA in 2018, bullpen
    Fernandez – Ways away

Participant

Free

Onyxgem
    I loved the way Wacha pitched last night, but I am sorry MM is freking STUPID as sin for sending him back out for the 9th with 97 pitches

97 pitches isn’t a lot. He’s been in the 100’s several times this year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

How do you know Reyes will return and be a effective starter? Nobody knows that yet.He could have to be a fill in long reliever until arm strength returns completely.Waino while pitching a little better is still aging and less effective.Wacha shoulder issues although he has been very very good lately.So there are stil possible issues with the rotation.Having Weaver,Marco and Flaherty and Gant nearby as a safety net is a good thing.Gallen,Hudson jst a step behind the others and Alcantara might have good stuff but he`s getting drilled quite often,Pearce is a finesse guy and Gomber also.Mayers will be a bullpen guy IMHO.

Participant

pads…..
    Who is the sixth starter? AlReyes?
    IMO Gallen is right behind Weaver and Flaherty. He’s more consistent than Hudson. I don’t like the idea of making relievers out of starters (ex.Lynn). There may be some instances where it’s the correct thing to try. I think they lose their value. There will most likely be a couple of the starters that will be used to acquire position players that we need. We seem to have a number of P prospects exceeding expectations. I also feel that after the Peoria bunch the starting pitching drops off quite a bit, so we need to make sure that we’re holding on to the right guys.

Realistically, so much will change before opening day ’18. But it’s good you’ve made a plan to work with.

Participant

Free

Those are some good thoughts, Pads. Gotta believe one or two of them might be included in a deadline trade this month. Hudson seems like a prime candidate right now.

Participant

Free

That 97 was before he even started the 9th just not necessary with his history of shoulder issues

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years