2017 MLB Game #80: Cards vs. Nats: Sat Jul 1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #80: Cards vs. Nats: Sat Jul 1

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar forsch31 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Michael Wacha (4‐3, 4.50) vs. Gio Gonzalez (7‐2, 2.87) 6:15 p.m. FOX Network

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha using his change up well paired with good velocity so far. 8 guys in a row strike 1.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Wacha is turning the corner. I own him in my most important fantasy league but I put him on the bench for the first time despite two starts this week because I was worried he would get shelled by better teams.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good going so far. Wacha up to 98 on one pitch. Keep it up birthday boy.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wacha with his best start of the season.

Still, Mejia is the star of the game so far with both RBIs. Rosie in for the 9th.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Might want to hold off on issuing that star of the game.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Rosenthal walked Harper, struck out Zimmerman, and gave up a single to Murphy. Threw one down the middle to Murphy on an 0-2 pitch. You just know Rosenthal will make it interesting.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Rosenthal yanked after walking Loboton and loading the bases.

I would’ve personally stuck with Lyons with Harper up but that’s me.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Pretty sure that strike 3 call was a ball and Yadi convinced the ump it was a strike. I’ll take it. Man, Rosenthal is nerve wracking.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought the back end of the pen would be a strength this year. Looks pretty uncertain now.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

The backend of the pen needs righting. But that’s 4 in a row and moving in the right direction for the most part. In case we have forgotten we just took a series against a team with a winning record. Progress.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Rosenberg is nerve wracking? Nah, cant be.

I mean, he only has been ever since he came into the league.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Cubs lost to the Reds again today. 5-3 Cincinnati the final. The Cubs are back to being under .500 and we are into July.

Hard to imagine, but that’s a good thing.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also good timing playing them right after they lost Trea Turner. Tough blow for them.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

From the boxscore it looks like Matheny yanked Rosenthal out of the game in the 9th with two outs. Is that correct?

Cardinals2016

Free

Yes, because he walked the bases loaded

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Cards definitely got a break on the last strike call, for sure. Ump showed the rookie no love on that one!

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rosey is definitely turning in Isringhausen version 2

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Grichuk ht the ball hard 3 times and caught looking twice.A little better at a time.Great game by Wacha.Boy does the end of the pen look terrible right nownder could Tuivailala be help there?

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is clear MM trust 4 guys Bowman, Oh, TR, and Cecil and has 4 guys he will only use when behind or on long relief roles: Lyons, JB, ST, and MM. IMO one of the weaknesses of MM. Frankly the performance between to 2 groups is not a huge gap. He needs to be more open to giving guys in the latter group more high pressure situations. Not saying they would not have issues to but as bad at times as the “trusted” group has been he needs to be less loyal to that group and give others more high pressure chances.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I agree on Yadi “selling” that strike three call. It looked outside from the television angle, but that is certainly not an accurate view. But Molina did a fist pump and started heading for the mound before the ump called it. By then, the ump almost had to call it a strike.

The late inning relief was considered a strong suit heading in to the season, but has been an issue all year. I think Matheny needs to see how the 8th inning guy is going, whoever that may be. If that guy sails through the 8th, then leave him out there for the ninth.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I also believe Matheny needs to get out of the “one inning a piece” mode. Cecil is getting guys out from both sides of the plate. Has he ever been more than a one inning reliever? Might consider bringing him in for the first high leverage situation encountered, then go more than one inning, a la Andrew Miller….or consider him to close. Lyons could certainly go longer in some games if he’s going well. Also, as said earlier by someone, maybe it’s time to give Brebbia a more prominent role. Maybe Zach Duke will keep healing faster than expected. He could be considered Mo’s “in-season trade acquisition via return from DL” this year….or Girsh’s I guess. And/or actually make a move for a guy like Neshek or Motte to give Matheny more trusted BP depth, since it appears no other team is going to run away with the division.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We won the series our second straight against a top team.

So much good about this game.

Go Cards!

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So Rat, you are going to come here and start in with the name calling, again?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years