2017 MLB Game #160: Cards vs. Brewers Fri Sep 29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #160: Cards vs. Brewers Fri Sep 29

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

John Gant (0-0, 3.65) vs. Chase Anderson (11-4, 2.81) 7:15 p.m. Fox Sports Midwest

PadsFS
    Participant

They have shut down Carpenter, but they have to shut dowm Molina and Wong too right?

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wonder if Carpenter will be traded in the offseason…maybe he’s played his last game for the Cards…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Garcia 2B
    Pham CF
    DeJong SS
    J Martinez 1B
    Piscotty RF
    Grichuk LF
    Diaz 3B
    Kelly C
    Gant P

PadsFS
    Participant

I doubt it. He is one of those more valuable to us than anyone else kind of guys.

I’d put Pham, Wacha, and Grichuk in that category as well.

PadsFS
    Participant

Glad to see Gyorko and Fowler out as well. Let them all come fresh to spring training next year. I wish we could’ve worked Bader and Sierra in there some too though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“Matheny confirms Yadi will be shut down. Carp, Waino and Lyons too.”

This per Jim Hayes.

bccran
    Participant

Going to be a very strange feeling watching tonight. First regular season game in 6 years that has no meaning.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

There could be many of those in the future.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Yadi is preoccupied with the crisis in Puerto Rico.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the 4th, Brewers lead 2-0…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Top of the 7th, Cards now down 4-1…

bccran
    Participant

I really don’t get this. In the last 6 games, the Cardinals have scored 1 run in four of those games and 2 runs in another.
    Craziness.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Well, it’s pretty easy to me. The team is void of talent because the owners did nothing I the off-season to appreciably improve a team with major holes. I have news for you, it’ll be the same next year.

bccran
    Participant

I don’t like your news, ms, and refuse to accept it.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Cards lose 5-3…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With the loss, third place has been clinched. Worst finish in division standings since 2008.

bccran
    Participant

Reloading is never fun.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting choice of words, bccran. I am not picking on them, but I have been thinking about that and am curious what others think, as well.

Were the Cardinals “reloading” in 2017? Was their overall strategy different from 2016 or 2015? If so, how?

How does one distinguish “reloading” (which to me suggests more dramatic changes) from “tuning” or “staying the course” or other general terms? Every team is in transition every year to a point, but to me looking back, the changes for this year were not particularly extensive.

bccran
    Participant

When your business plan is to build from within and rely on several young players coming up to become core players (replacing veterans) I consider it reloading. The Cardinals “reloaded” SS with Diaz and it didn’t work. They “reloaded” again with DeJong and it has worked so far. They “reloaded” with Grichuk and Piscotty and it hasn’t worked out yet. I remember when Mo was asked several years ago at WWU to project his 2018 outfield, he said without hesitation Grichuk, Piscotty, and Sierra. In the plan, they also fill holes from outside as needed. They didn’t have any SS in the pipeline to reload that position so they went out and got Peralta. That worked out. The got Heyward, and that shocked them that he didn’t become a multiyear core player.
    They tried to fill the donut hole.

When they have a set lineup with 8 guys who have several years of consistent MLB success under their belts who have either come from within or outside (who are under control for multiple years) there should be more consistency in production.

JMHO.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rotation was pretty much set coming into the year. So was the pen. There was no change with Diaz, as he was coming into his second year. To me, the key changes for 2017 were letting Moss and Holliday go, signing Fowler and giving more prominent roles to Grichuk and Piscotty.

I didn’t see that as significant reloading coming in. They kept pretty much the same core from 2016 and expected to again be competitive.

During the season, there were changes, as with any club. Were they more than usual? I am not so sure.

Again, not arguing. Just thinking (too much perhaps) about what reloading means. Perhaps in your definition, they are reloading every year. Would that be accurate?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Then again, while I haven’t compared to prior years, turning over three of the starting eight during the season (3B, SS, LF) is pretty extensive.

bccran
    Participant

Part of the puzzle is contractual.
    Who’s already in hand. The Cardinals already have a set lineup in the fold if they choose to go that way in 2018. It would be interesting to look at the offense in 2017 when there was a lineup of a Molina, Carp, Wong, DeJong, Gyorko,
    Pham, Fowler, and Martinez. All healthy. No “big” bat, but a pretty pretty productive offense?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.