2017 MLB Game #124: Cards at Pirates (in Williamsport, PA) Sun Aug 20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #124: Cards at Pirates (in Williamsport, PA) Sun Aug 20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Leake vs. RHP Ivan Nova 6:08 p.m. ESPN

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I did not know this, but the rules allow a 26th man for this game. It is Stephen Piscotty.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s not enough room in the park for extra guys. I honestly don’t know how this game will pan out venue-wise. Williamsport is in the middle of nowhere.

This is going to be a big boost for the NYPL which I follow more closely because there are several teams within driving range for me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone think of the rationale of when this was planned connected to it needing the 26th roster spot. I am for larger rosters but can not follow the line of thought that said this would be a place it is needed.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I get the sentiment behind the event, but I don’t see this game having much value in terms of encouraging youngsters to play baseball.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t have time to look right now, vegas, but my bet is that wording was written into the CBA to allow 26 players for off-site games. I recall that in-season exhibitions were prohibited earlier, so in the words that Bud Selig once made famous, “This one counts!”

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Leake has been going so poorly for a while, I cringe when I see his name as the starter. It hasn’t looked like bad luck either, his pitches look so hit-able. If he doesn’t turn it around, how much patience will Matheny and Mo have to stick with him down the stretch? They need to get really serious about putting the players on the field who give us the best chance to win. Admittedly, they are in a tough spot, maybe a no-win situation.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Piscotty replacing Pham in the OF and batting second. Pham must be very tired.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

BlueJays about to blow it against the Cubs. 5-3 Toronto in the bottom of the 10th. Schwarber strikes out but reaches on a WP and then Zobrist singles. 1st and 3rd, nobody out, Rizzo up.

Schwarber scores on another WP, now 5-4, nobody out, Rizzo up with Zobrist on 2nd.

Rizzo grounds to 2nd for the 1st out, Zobrist now at 3rd with one out. Still 5-4 Toronto.

And now Baez strikes out on a ball in the dirt but Toronto doesn’t throw to first. Now 1st and 3rd, still one out. How many outs are the BlueJays going to give the Cubs?????

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by RatsbuddyRatsbuddy.
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Heyward is now hit by a pitch. Cubs with bases loaded and one out and Avila up.

Avila singles and the Cubs win 6-5.

Unbelievable………

Participant

Free

Bottom of the 1st, one out and we’re already down 3-0…

Participant

Leake’s ERA over his last three starts is almost 8. The definition of madness, keep doing the same thing (sending this bum out to start a game) and expecting a different result.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Odd the Cardinsls did not challenge the poor call at second. Flowers was clearly safe.

Participant

Leake needs to be traded to where he wants to play.

Participant

Free

This game isn’t exactly what the doctor ordered.

You know what I want to see? A player go in a profanity laced tirade at the home plate ump and get tossed. It’s would surely be the end of this fiasco.

Participant

Free

Top of the 3rd, now down only 3-2…

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Leake sure throws a lot of center cut stuff for a guy without much stuff. This situation needs fixing. Pirates are crushing him yet again.

Participant

Free

This team is finished!

They’ve gt no intention on making any moves and the pitching is falling apart. Even within striking distance of a WC just last Saturday they don’t seem to care.

Participant

Leake should not be a St. Louis Cardinal – on several levels.

Participant

Free

Top of the 4th down 6-2…

Participant

Free

Just pathetic!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Unable to score with runners on second and third with no outs.

Participant

Free

Trade him to San Diego and eat some contract.

Grichukkk is back! 1 K away from a golden sombrero.

Participant

Pirates enjoyed early batting practice again Leake, who probably couldn’t get AA players out. Team is fading like a cheap suit in the noon sunshine. Pathetic. If Matheny sends Leake out again as a starter, I am done with them for this season.

Participant

Free

I think some of our players just want to impress some kids or see it as an A ball stadium and just want to tee off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years