2017 MLB Game #114: Cards vs. Royals Wed Aug 9

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #114: Cards vs. Royals Wed Aug 9

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Leake (7‐10, 3.34) vs. Jason Hammel (5‐9, 4.73) 7:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

wagee12
    Participant

If the Cards offered to give Leake to another team, no strings attached, would anyone take him?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

wagee12, that kind of testing is happening all across MLB this month. Teams are putting players on revocable waivers. Using Leake as an example, if the Cards put him on waivers and San Diego claims him, one of two things can happen.

1) The Cards let him go and his contract passes to San Diego.
    2) The Cards pull him back. In that case, they can only trade with San Diego. He either is traded to them or not traded at all.

The third option is if he goes unclaimed. In that case, he could be traded anywhere.

Back some time ago, the Cards made an August trade with San Diego – Woody Williams for Ray Lankford. Both had cleared waivers, if I remember correctly. Neither was a part of his old team’s long-term plans, so made available.

In the case of Leake, if one long contract is traded for another, I could see such a deal as possible. But are they going to give away a starter with a 3.34 ERA? Of course not.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, holy offense Batman! Three Nights In August. Hot August Nights! Apparently this is the first time in modern franchise history a Cardinal club has scored in double figures three consecutive games.

Are we sure this is the 2017 team, the club that consistently plays 2-1 and 3-2 games, losing more than half of them?

Can we just stay in the friendly confines of Kaufman Stadium and play these next two there? We’ll even let the Royals bat last.

You wonder if this is the lineup that clicks, and we can keep this going. Matheny needs to stick with this group for awhile, minus the DH spot of course, and see what they do. Wacha looked real good and is pitching with confidence. We have a great shot at winning three of four in this “home and home” series with Kansas City. I am not real confident about tonight’s game, although Leake has pitched better than his record shows. He was probably thinking after the recent outburst that the offense will take tonight off – just his luck.

Nice to see the guys having fun out there the last couple of nights. That ball that Gyorko hit was one of the more impressive home runs I recall in recent times. I mean, he jumped on that pitch and really turned it around! That was the difference maker and put the game away for all intents.

There is hope in Redbird-land, at least for the time being.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hard to believe that the Redbirds are only 2.5 games out of 1st place. As bad as they have been so far this year. The Cubs continue to be an enigma, having lost again last night, this time to the Giants in San Francisco 6-3. I keep thinking the Cubs are going to get hot and go on a roll and they almost did after the All Star Break. But they are 3-5 in their last 8 games now.

r/Rat

wagee12
    Participant

Thanks Brian. I do understand the Aug. and Sept. waiver situations. I hope Leake has a good game tonight but I have zero confidence in him and he has a losing record since he has been in St. Louis.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Actually, I believe in Leake’s case he must be pulled back from waivers if a claim is made due to his no trade clause. A deal can then be worked out or not. So a team claiming Leake actually has no risk in claiming him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lose in San Francisco again today, final was 3-1 Giants. Redbirds can get it back to 1.5 games with a win tonight.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

We’re going to have to work for it then, not even out of the top of the 1st and we’re down 2-0 and they have a guy on 3rd with only 1 out…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals starting pitcher ERAs since Mike Leake joined team (162 innings min):

Martinez 343 innings – 3.25
    Leake 311 innings – 4.10
    Wacha 254 innings – 4.45
    Garcia 172 innings – 4.67
    Wainwright 312 innings – 4.76

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the second and we’re down now 3-0…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Top of the 4th and we’re all tied up at 3…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Martinez hits a solo HR and we’re up 4 to 3 in the bottom of the 4th…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Top of the 6th and we’re down 5 to 4…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I think when Molina cools down, they should bring up Andrew Knizner. 😉

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

KC looks like they are having some of the bullpen woes we’ve had. Love it.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I guess that 8 innings of rest was enough to break the xbh slump.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton
    I think when Molina cools down, they should bring up Andrew Knizner. ?

Good one! And we’d be remiss if we reference Molina’s grad slam tonight with paying homage to the rally cat.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

For those that missed it…..bases loaded, two outs, Cards down 5-4. A cat runs onto the field and the grounds crew guy grabs it out by the centerfield wall. He gets scratched/clawed a little bit. Next pitch Molina hits a grand slam.

Rally Cat………

r/Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Let’s finish these guys off and really put some heat on the Brewers and Cubs. Cubs have D’backs in the desert and the Brewers have 1 game left and a 3 game homestand against the reds.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rally kitty!! The offense continues it’s surge. Let’s hope it continues. The one thing I would change with this club right now is the batting order. Although we are playing well with roughly the order MM is using, I think you gotta get DeJong out of the 3 spot.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry these links are not posting, but we are working on a fix. The tweet is a statement from the Cardinals about the Rally Cat.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years