2017 MLB Game #107: Cards at Brewers Wed Aug 2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #107: Cards at Brewers Wed Aug 2

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

a stolen base where Pham is barely out is not bad baserunning
    the pickoff of Grichuk wasn’t great but it happens sometimes

id prefer them to be a bit more aggressive on the basepaths when runs are needed…

now had it been Carpenter, Voit or Molina getting picked off…sure…there is no need… but Pham and Grichuk both have good enough wheels to take advantage of a slow pitcher to the plate

mistakes happen in baseball sometimes for no reason and sometimes out of aggressiveness….sometimes it’s even a coach’s orders that go wrong…

the team has been much better on defense and baserunning in the second half (and even in the late first half)…i get that the early mistakes make everyone triggerhappy to call them out on every missed opportunity or mistake but it really is part of the game…

i mean i saw joey Votto last night at 2b with a 1 run lead and no outs…and Duvall hit a mammoth flyball to the warning track forcing MCCutcheon to backpedal and not get a good stance to throw at all…and he didn’t tag up and go to third…in fact he stood half way almost all the way to the ball into the glove…if MCCutch drops it he scores if he is tagging up or not…and with no outs he HAS to get to 3rd base…to get the sac fly in order with a 1 run lead…but he didnt… uts went back to third… NOW he is a an all world player great defense, consider very intelligent on the baseball field in all aspects and he still makes a dumb mistake…..it happens…and it doesn’t have to be signs of anything other than one mistake……

if the fans all out the players for every single mistake and then ask the coaches about it too..maybe even the GM too… do you really think they will keep trying to be aggressive? Everyone complain about the Cardinals never stealing bases….btu maybe some of that is on the fanbase…if we’d all stop expecting to see Vince Coleman, Ozzie, Willie and even Lankford all the time and accept that stealing bases means getting caught at 1st or at 2nd or 3rd…then perhaps they woudlnt be so hard on these new guys who dont have the same skills as those talented players… another case of the fans being spoiled in StL….even if we had a guy like Hamilton it woudl never be good enough…same goes for defense at SS….spoiled…. and soon to be catcher in a few years…..

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we have an above-average defender at every position when Piscotty plays too.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Pads…though i am still not sold on SS with such little data on DeJong…

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years