1987 Cardinals reunion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 1987 Cardinals reunion

This topic contains 16 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 858booyah 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

1987 National League Championship Anniversary Ceremony: In recognition of the 30th anniversary of the Cardinals 1987 National League Pennant, over 20 members of the 1987 team, including Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, Whitey Herzog, Tommy Herr and Jack Clark, will be honored in a pregame ceremony starting at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday. Ozzie Smith will throw a ceremonial first pitch to Jack Clark.

Here is the full list of attendees: Jack Clark, Tom Herr, Ozzie Smith, Willie McGee, John Morris, Curt Ford, Rod Booker, Lance Johnson, Tom Lawless, Danny Cox, Greg Mathews, Joe Magrane, John Tudor, Ricky Horton, Todd Worrell, Pat Perry, Dave LaPoint, Scott Terry, Ken Dayley, Whitey Herzog, Red Schoendienst, Nick Leyva and Rich Hacker.

Rob Rains notes on Twitter that one key name is missing.

“Interesting… one of only a few players not coming to 1987 #STLCards reunion this weekend is Jose Oquendo. Team did not provide a reason.”

bccran
    Participant

I wonder if there’s more under the surface with Jose. I talked to a sports radio talk show host in St. Louis this week who said “if the DeWitts wanted Oquendo to be on the big league coaching staff he would be here”. That’s counter to what I’ve heard from others, but cause for thought. Caught me by surprise.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would go just to see Jack Clark. Who wouldn’t want to see his HR in Dodger Stadium again. It’s wrapped up in my visual memory along with Yadi’s back-breaker vs. the NYM at Shea. Those thoughts still make me smile.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not sure why you are surprised, bccran. You blew right by my comment on this matter just a few days ago on the Matheny thread. Just perhaps, the version of events offered to the public is not entirely complete.

bccran
    Participant

I’d like to go to shake hands with John Tudor. Mezmerizing soft throwing lefty who had pinpoint control. Good example that velocity isn’t everything. His 1985 season was surreal. 21-1 from May on.

bccran
    Participant

Sorry. It was 20-1 (with a 1.37
    ERA).

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tudor was always fun to watch. A great competitor and I guy you could almost bank on for a victory.

bccran
    Participant

I didn’t “blow by” your comment,
    Brian. I had just heard other things from people I have talked to over the past year. And I’m not saying this sports talk radio person is right. You just have a different slant, and so does he.
    I heard from people inside the organization that Jose wanted to stay in Jupiter.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, apparently he wants to stay in Jupiter so much he isn’t even coming back for the reunion. The unanswered question is “Why?”

bccran
    Participant

Perhaps he has a confict with a family function. I’m not going to read too much into things.
    I heard from very high up in the organization that they miss both Oquendo and Holliday more than they thought they would. That’s all I know.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Clark’s homer was 1985. He was MIA in 87 and his absence is likely the reason we lost the series to the Twins.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That was an over-achieving team, that might have won the World Series had we played it in an even-numbered year where the NL got the four home games. I still remember after game seven, Whitey was interviewed on the field and asked about the Twins. His reply was “They are good in this ball park”.

That is a bit strange on Oquendo not coming back. Another guy I would like to see is Terry Pendleton, although he might be coaching somewhere (I have lost track of him). Todd Worrell spent some time in the TV booth of last night’s game, and is a very articulate and thoughtful guy. Despite being from California, he lives in the St. Louis area, saying he and his wife wanted to raise their family in the Midwest.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

booyah…. I realize that. It’s just that Clark will be present and it was a very memorable HR for me, as was Yadi’s and Boyer’s grand slam in game 4 of the ’64 Series at Yankee Stadium. I’m also very fond of the Mazeroski HR at Forbes with LFer Berra going back… back…. looking up….

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Clark is a real nice guy. At least he was when I met him at an autograph event a few years ago. Does anyone know if he and Pujols patched up their differences, or are they bitter enemies still?

Speaking of Pujols, I wonder if he will be there in 2024 or 2026 when the Cardinals celebrate a reunion of the 2004 and 2006 pennant winners and World Series champs, respectively? He will still be on the Angels payroll in a non-playing capacity, so it will be interesting to see if he shows up. My guess is that he will be there and receive a huge ovation. Tune back in in 7 and/or 9 years to see if my prediction is correct.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pujols will be back to wear the red jacket. As soon as he is eligible, he will get put on the ballot and fans will vote him into the team Hall of Fame.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who did not see the 1987 pregame ceremony, a fan filmed the scoreboard video and posted it online in three parts.

https://twitter.com/ness_DA/status/896521691832176640
    https://twitter.com/ness_DA/status/896526738162933761
    https://twitter.com/ness_DA/status/896529406964842496

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Pendleton was there.

I didn’t see clark announced on the 1 minute MLB TV clip. Was he?

You forget that Lance Johnson was a Cardinals but he’s more known as a White Sox. Where he lead the league in triples 4 times on the South Side. His best season was as a Met

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years