Putting the roster in three tiers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Putting the roster in three tiers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT came up with a great topic to discuss. My apologies, 14, if you were going to start this thread.

14 quoted V.P. Hill (VEB), who came up with 3 groups to slot players into. His groupings were –

Core (9) – Flaherty, DeJong, Goldschmidt, Kim, Bader, Mikolas, Gallegos, Miller, Hicks

What ifs (10) – Carlson, Edman, Martinez, Carpenter, Gomber, O’Neill, Knizner, Reyes, Helsley, Cabrera

Low Impact – Fowler, Heineman, Sosa, Webb, Ponce, Whitley, Etc.

14 suggested that we move Bader down to a What ifs, and
    and add Ponce to What ifs.

jj wants to add Gant to the What ifs.

Again, apologies, 14, if I jumped the gun.

Note: Moderator updated the thread title to be more descriptive.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant was excluded in 14NyquisT reply earlier. I added him TO THE CORE group, to be accurate.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would agree with the assessment of Gant as a core player, given the others there. Each of them are guys that we have a reasonable expectation to be at least average at their position (Miller I’d probably bump down from here). Some could outperform that, for sure. But they have a floor of around average.

The next group all have a floor closer to replacement level. Many could outperform it, including some that could be stars (Carlson, O’Neill, Cmart, Reyes). If we got above average performance from half or more of them, it would go a long way toward locking up a playoff spot.

The last group have a ceiling of around average. The floor is sub replacement. Anything we get from these guys is probably a bonus.

Participant

Paid - Annual

IMHO –

Core – Goldschmidt, Edman, DeJong, Carlson, Flaherty, Hudson, Gallegos, Hicks, Kim, Mikolas, Cabrera, Gant, Gomber, Helsley, Reyes

What if – Fowler, Bader, O’Neill, Woodford, Whitley, Webb, Miller, Sosa, Ponce, Thomas, Dean

Low impact – Williams, Knizner, Montero, Nogowski,

Participant

I thought that Hill’s list would fire up some debate here…. after all we could use something to stir up in this awful part of the year. I didn’t realize that Gant’s name was excluded…. I would put him in the “core” section.

bcc…. no problem at all. Actually Brian suggested it be a topic by itself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years