$100 MM upgrades to Roger Dean proposed

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum $100 MM upgrades to Roger Dean proposed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its their money, and upgrades are almost always a plus. But Roger Dean, now, in its present 20 year old form, is 10 times nicer than the Astros/Nationals brand new ‘Ballpark of the Palm Beaches’. No doubt attendance is up at Roger Dean and that’s what justifies spending $100M on an already fabulous minor league ballpark.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, attendance is down, perhaps because of the new park and two more teams in the area. In terms of the clubhouses, training, practice and minor league facilities, the 20-year newer park in West Palm is far superior. Not even close.

For example, the RDS clubhouses are so cramped that the minor league strength and conditioning facility is located in a storefront in the Abacoa shopping plaza a block from the ballpark.

I won’t quibble about the fan experience, as that is a personal preference, though there are fan improvements in the new proposal as well.

Because the facilities are county-owned, the teams are requesting state and county funds to help cover part of the expense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Wonder what the Cardinals could get on the open market if they decided to open bidding for a new spring home and home for their year round player development facilities? Might be worth a look if the local government down there is gonna drag their feet or try to go cheap. Maybe I misread the article but I believe it may be time to add a little pressure to see if they are serious about keeping the Cardinals in place.

858booyah
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

jim
    Participant

Free

Busch I was built for like 25 million if I recall correctly…

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals should just let it be known that they are looking for a new spring home. I’m sure there is a community out there that will build it for them and it won’t be years away.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I discussed with Danny Mac this morning, the details of the Jupiter situation are out there. Whether the Cardinals express interest or not, other groups are sure to contact them with proposals. It would also leverage Palm Beach County.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years