10 players have received qualifying offers…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 10 players have received qualifying offers…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar atripleshyofthecycle 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

There is no way Will Smith turns down $17.8 million. That is some getting Jiggy with it money for a bullpen guy.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Avatar 858booyah.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I originally thought Smith would definitely take the QO. But thinking more, he may be able to get 3/45 or more so it may not be cut and dried.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MLB Trade Rumors guesses Smith to the Twins 3/$42. They think he will be “immensely popular” as the best reliever available.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From MLB.com:

Marcell Ozuna, OF, Cardinals (age 28 — turns 29 on Nov. 12)

He appears to have found a baseball home in St. Louis, and while his .800 OPS isn’t elite, the totality of his game makes him extremely valuable to a team that returned to the postseason this season. He has said he’d love to stay in St. Louis, and the qualifying offer gives him the chance to do that. He’s also young enough that he could have a robust market next offseason without a QO attached.

Should he accept? Yes

Will he accept? Yes

https://www.mlb.com/news/qualifying-offer-accept-or-decline-analysis

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have mixed feelings on Ozuna.I like his power but he is so inconsistent and his defense….? Will he age well and while he was okay this season the offense was still very inconsistent with him in the lineup.Do we hope for a solid steady season from him and Goldy at the middle of the order or hope he turns down the QO and Cards go young or try and trade for a less power more contact type guy ?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Ozuna accepting the QO might be the best case scenario for the team. He’s probably good for what he put up this year as a base line, has some more upside with the bat, and the Cards can then make CF an open competition and maybe even RF if they can find a taker for Fowler.

Personally I can’t see him taking it, though. He’ll get well over $50M on the market.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m hoping that some team will think he’s worth it.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

“Totality of his game”? Is that writer from Colorado or somewhere else that the weed is legal?

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Agreed, Carioca. That’s what I was thinking. My prediction: this will be the bidding war that Mo wins, and we will give him a multiyear deal. It’s not like we ever sign deals we regret, though, so this should work out great. After all, 2.6 WAR (lower than last year, when he was a disappointment) outfielders don’t grow on trees, right?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years