Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019-2020

Viewing 25 posts - 1,151 through 1,175 (of 2,234 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

One advantage of Calhoun is that you can probably trade for him for virtually nothing if you are willing to pay his arb salary and you only have a one year commitment. Dickerson is probably looking for a multi year deal.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

One advantage of Calhoun is that you can probably trade for him for virtually nothing if you are willing to pay his arb salary and you only have a one year commitment. Dickerson is probably looking for a multi year deal.

Calhoun has a team option for 2020 not under team control IIRC. If it’s not picked up he’ll be a FA. Neither of these guys would cost anything but money. You might be correct on Dickerson seeking a 2 year deal but it this current era of FA you better be mindful of how the owners are doing business. You get too greedy and you may end up unsigned until gosh knows when.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think the Angels have made a determination on Calhoun yet. That decision may come today. They will either pick up his $14M option or he will be a FA. Even if they pick up the option he could be traded.

I like Dickerson too. He and Calhoun are similar type players and either would be a good stop gap until
    Carlson is ready. Calhoun has more power but Dickerson will hit for more average and might be cheaper.

I know some of you are frustrated that we are debating these types of players but I think that is the reality until Carp, Fowler, Cecil, and others are off the payroll. But it isn’t the end of the world. We just made the Final Four with this less than perfect roster. We could do it again.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would like to see the starting rotation battles be opened up next year. Start Spring Training with Helsley, Cabrera, PDL, Waino, Gant, Gomber, Woodford, Reyes and maybe even Angel Rondon. You can easily pitch 3 pitchers a day until pitch count is built up, in maybe 2 weeks or so, and by then you cut the candidates down in half then 2 pitchers get 4 innings in each game, or so, with the rest going to the pen or Memphis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One has to be careful not to dilute the competition. There aren’t enough days in the week to have nine starters in a fair battle. Further, making big decisions on a handful of spring innings can be dicey. It may turn out to be necessary, but pre-thinning the herd would help, IMO.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps a trade will dilute the competition? Although very unlikely before the Rule 5 draft. Also, not including Reyes, Woodford and Rondon might be more doable. Off subject, surely Rondon gets a NRI next spring.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting suggested implication…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I know most people wont agree but I would have bèen satisfied if the Cards had picked up Thames (assuming he can play Ozuna level defense)($7.5 mm) and Teheran ($12 mm) and been finished in the FA market. Either could have been had for nothing since it would have kept their teams from paying the buyouts.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Julio Teheran option has been declined by Atlanta. You want a back end guy who’s durable then this is the guy we should get

Get this guy, a back end bullpen guy and I could deal with Calhoun for a year.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

The Cards already have a boatload of back end starters…. Mikolas, Hudson, hopefully Waino, PDL, Gomber, Helsley, Reyes(with a big ?), etc.

If they are going to actually upgrade the rotation, they need to set the sights a lot higher. Secondly, if they do spend money for an outside FA, I’d argue all day long that they should go after a lefty or two.

MPWR2
    Participant

Free

Boston wants to get under the salary cap, and now that JD Martinez is staying put, their best way to do that is to trade David Price.

Maybe a Price for Fowler deal? Boston could then trade either JBJ or Fowler to save more money…

Price’s injuries were related to a cyst on his wrist…And pitching in the NL East is more difficult than the NL Central.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’m 100% on the Price bandwagon MPWR. His first year there the media ate him up. His numbers haven’t been bad, but bring him to STL to get some love and he would likely thrive. I’d mentioned that idea before and got laughed at.

How does a team paying a portion of a player that’s been traded get treated on their salary cap? Meaning if they get Fowler, we get Price and $5M a year, does that $5M still count on their cap? (There would be more involved, just making up a simple scenario)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Price makes $31 MM and then $32 MM per year. He is owed $127 MM over the next four years, his age 34-37 seasons.

Over the prior four years with Boston, he averaged 120 ERA+. This past season Flaherty was 155. Hudson was 128.

Fowler makes $14.5 MM per year over the next three years. So the Cards would get out from under $43.5 MM but take on $127 MM for a pitcher who is older than Fowler. The net increase is $83.5 MM. This seems like trouble.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If they are going to spend that kind of money, they could just sign MadBum at 4/$72 MM (per MLBTR estimate) and save about $10 MM. Even Wheeler at 5/$100 (estimate) would be better over the long haul as both are much younger.

P.S. If I was the Cards and was going to spend an incremental $20 MM per year, it would be to upgrade the offense.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Boston’s Front office is much smarter than the Cardinal’s. They would ever trade Price for a slug like Fowler.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

If they are going to spend that kind of money, they could just sign MadBum at 4/$72 MM (per MLBTR estimate) and save about $10 MM. Even Wheeler at 5/$100 (estimate) would be better over the long haul as both are much younger.

P.S. If I was the Cards and was going to spend an incremental $20 MM per year, it would be to upgrade the offense.

IT’s where the biggest need is based on the performance of the offense this year.

But the roster construction is the major issue. LF is a place where if a player departed they could add on. Which leads to the 2nd issue. You have 2-3 guys who could be looking at major playing time in 2020-21. You sign a guy for $18-20 million and you aren’t signing him for one year.

I mean then you look at the market for guys who are primed for a 1 year deal. Calhoun although I am cooling on now based on his home numbers. Puig is out there and maybe you overpay for a guy like Dickerson. Give him a 1 year deal with a club option that’s on the hefty buyout.

IMO get a starter on a 2 year deal like Teheran and a bat on a 1 year deal or hope Marcel takes the QO.

The thing that kind of scares me is that they do nothing and Jose Martinez plays 100 games in LF next year. I mean they did commit to a 2 year deal with him last off season.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Brian wrote: So the Cards would get out from under $43.5 MM but take on $127 MM for a pitcher who is older than Fowler. This seems like trouble>

Daggumit Brian, you ruin a fellows whole day with those facts, facts, facts…………..LOL

PadsFS
    Participant

At 4yrs/$72M, Bumgarden makes a ton of sense. I think he’ll get more like 5/100

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am down with this if we can figure out what to do with Carp.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t touch David Price with a ten foot pole. He is overpriced, often hurt, often arguing with someone,etc…no thanks.

I might consider it if Boston will take all the money on Carp, Fowler, and Cecil.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Same here. I want nothing to do with Price. The Cardinals made a big play (reportedly around $185M) for Price when he was a free agent, and he declined. He had grown up a Cardinals fan, and wanted to play here. But Boston offered him more money than the Cardinals were willing to offer, and in the end, the money was the only thing that was important to him.

Before anything significant can happen, they are going to have to move some money. IMO, the best chance for that is if they can trade Carpenter. I could see the Rangers taking a chance on him. After all, he has only had one really bad season. If they could move Carpenter, they could offer Wong, Knizner, and Woodford to Cleveland for Lindor. Then, Edman would move to 2B, and either Dejong or Lindor would be at 3B.

skippy mckill
    Participant

Free

Bradley Jr is a more realistic trade piece for STL to be focusing on in Boston.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bradley Jr is a more realistic trade piece for STL to be focusing on in Boston.

Maybe so but I don’t know why we would want him. We already have a defensive minded CF who hits .200 but is a lot cheaper.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Truth…

Viewing 25 posts - 1,151 through 1,175 (of 2,234 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.